Project Android

Associate
messiah khan said:
I also want to see if I can get hold of tiny ball and joints for the ends of the hydraulics, as then I could actually have a head that moves. :)

Will have a look around at what i have, think there's some from the old gas rams somewhere if i can find em you can have them for postage if they are any good to you.

Soldato
OP
h2ocooler said:
Will have a look around at what i have, think there's some from the old gas rams somewhere if i can find em you can have them for postage if they are any good to you.

That would be great if you have any mate, cheers. I need as many as I can get my hands on. The only place I have found that has them for sale(Not that I have lookd very hard) is a engineering place in the US that sells loads of cool stuff.

Soldato
OP
Pushy lot you arn't you :rolleyes: :p . Right, I have made a bit more progress, I have changed somethings and I have so new ideas. The other day, I picked up two old machines that were getting given away at work. They are Pentium3 700, 256mb ram, 10gb harddrive, but more importantly they have a matx motherboard and tiny little psu's. Im not sure why the psu's are so small, but they are ideal for this project. So I have decided to use the new matx mobo and psu.(No idea what my old motherboard was, as its was narrower than matx, but considerably longer). One great thing about the new mobo is that it has onboard graphics and sound, which means that the two Nic's can go in the pci slots that allow me to have full height cards, removing the need for a pci riser card. Im also going to remake the mobo tray, as ive got hold of some good thick alu instead of the flimsy steel im using now. This time I also want to do it properly and tap the holes for the standoffs as well.

Ive now made the base of the thing, which is wher the psu is going to live. The base is made out of the same thick alu that the mobo tray will be made out of. First thing was to cut it out in the same shape as the bottom of the resin model.
7baseplate1fe3.jpg

This was then drilled and attatched using 3 nuts and bolts. I decided to use nuts and bolts so that I could remove the whole plate if I needed to.
7baseplate2kz9.jpg

Soldato
OP
I then cut a hole and attached some angle section, to act as a support for the fan on the psu. The Psu will be venting warm air out the bottom of the case, with the clearance created by hi-fi style feet.
7baseplate3fp5.jpg

The support pieces were attatched using rivets.
7baseplate4hy3.jpg

The psu pretty much holds itself inplace, as the supports are so tight. I might however also make some way of securing the psu, incase I was to move the case upside down sometime.
7baseplate5hw0.jpg

Soldato
OP
Ive now also started to cut the holes in the spine where everything will plug into. So far I have made 2 holes for the soundcard jackplugs and a hole for a usb socket. Ive also made a hole, and attatched the power socket in the bottom section. I still need to make another usb hole, and a hole the ps2 keyboard and mouse, but I still need to get hold of extension leads for these. The problem with most extansion leads, especially usb ones, is that they are too long at the socket. As I only have limited space behing the mobo tray, I need the socket to be as short as possible, or bend at a 90 degree angle. I did try making my own usb extension lead, but..... it din't work :( It detects that a usb device is connected, and the power works on it. But the device fails.
7usbcablezw4.jpg

7molexextensionhh0.jpg

The final Thing I have done so far is to extend and sleeve a power cable for the harddrive. Im going to sleeve the other power cable, but im not sure if I really can be bothered to do the main power cable to the motherboard.... so many wires! The one for the harddrive might be resleaved in a chrome shower hose that ive bought.

The you go, thats all ive done so far. As usual comments, both positive and critical are very welcome. :)

Soldato
OP
Nope, she isn't going to have legs. The psu is on the base, and the fan at the bottom will work by the base being lifted slightly by hi-fi style feet. If she did have feet, the whole thing would take up too much space in my room. At the moment she is small enough to sit on my desk.

Soldato
OP
Nope, no arms either im afraid. When hunting for a mannaquin for the project, there were only really full ones with legs and arms, that IMO were too big. And there was the one I have used. I really like the one I have, as without the legs and arms its quite a bit smaller, and IMO also makes it look more 'arty'. I suppose if I really wanted to, I could add arms at a later date.

Back
Top Bottom