Sunglasses (Yet Again) - Oakley Carbon?

Soldato
After getting myself a new watch I've decided to get myself a nice set of genuine sunglasses (as I take the mick when my mates get fakes). I've always liked the look of Oakleys and as my Dad is in the states by an Oakley Store (that do Custom made) I've been looking around at the custom range and like the look of the "Frame Type: HALF JACKET Carbon Fiber Frame / Silver Icon Lens Type: Ice Iridium Polarized" They're $175 (£95) (yes, I know it varies state to state) compared with £140 from Rubensmenswear.com
But I've got a few questions:
  • Do the polarized lenses have "polarized" actually written on them? (As I don't really like it see here)
  • What Do The Carbon Frames Look Like In Real Life? - Would I Be Better Off Getting Matt/Gloss Black?
  • Is It Real Carbon? (I've got a thing for it on my Bike & my Dad's Westfield)
  • Am I Wasting My Money?

Custom Half Jackets
Basically, Yes OR No

TY
Ed

Last edited:
Associate
I can answer two questions.

Yes, the lenses say Polarized on them, you wont notice it while wearing them.

No, you are not wasting your money, Oakley make good sunglasses, treat yourself.

Mark.

Associate
Westyfield2 said:
After getting myself a new watch I've decided to get myself a nice set of genuine sunglasses (as I take the mick when my mates get fakes). I've always liked the look of Oakleys and as my Dad is in the states by an Oakley Store (that do Custom made) I've been looking around at the custom range and like the look of the "Frame Type: HALF JACKET Carbon Fiber Frame / Silver Icon Lens Type: Ice Iridium Polarized" They're $175 (£95) (yes, I know it varies state to state) compared with £140 from Rubensmenswear.com
But I've got a few questions:
  • Do the polarized lenses have "polarized" actually written on them? (As I don't really like it see here)
  • What Do The Carbon Frames Look Like In Real Life? - Would I Be Better Off Getting Matt/Gloss Black?
  • Is It Real Carbon? (I've got a thing for it on my Bike & my Dad's Westfield)
  • Am I Wasting My Money?

Custom Half Jackets
Basically, Yes OR No

TY
Ed

That's a lot of money for something you'll probably sit on and crush p****d one night.

Permabanned
rip off, you can get nice sunglasses off topman for 10 pounds and without worrying of them breaking or you not liking them the following summer.

Soldato
ballistic said:
rip off, you can get nice sunglasses off topman for 10 pounds and without worrying of them breaking or you not liking them the following summer.

It's hardly a rip off. Oakley stuff is high quality, that's what you pay for. Just because topman sunnies are adequate doesn't mean anything more expensive is a rip off.

A bic lighter will light cigarettes, a zippo isn't a rip off.
A Metro will get you to work, Ferraris aren't a rip off.
A Casio digital will tell the time, but a Panerai isn't a rip off.

Etc etc etc

Man of Honour
ballistic said:

10 quid sunglasses offer little protection for your eyes. Having tried various sunglasses for flying where they are very important, Oakley lenses are by far the best of the lot. They're worth every penny. I don't leave the house without mine during the summer. On bright days my eyes feel relaxed but with cheap sunglasses I can feel my eyes straining.

You get what you pay for.

Soldato
OP
Mohinder said:
I shouldn't think it's real carbon, especially not for £140. Could be though.
If it's not real carbon, do they look any good - Some fake carbon (cough Chav cars) look complete rubish.
Mohinder said:
P.S You really Love capitalising words at Random, don't You?

:p
WHAT yOu MeaN ? !!!!!!111111oneoneone

Permabanned
Scuzi said:
10 quid sunglasses offer little protection for your eyes. Having tried various sunglasses for flying where they are very important, Oakley lenses are by far the best of the lot. They're worth every penny. I don't leave the house without mine during the summer. On bright days my eyes feel relaxed but with cheap sunglasses I can feel my eyes straining.

You get what you pay for.

really?
I saw a recent study which showed that 10 pound sunglasses most often than not provide very similar protection - usually just as good in fact. Some cheap sunglasses are just rubbish though yes.

Man of Honour
ballistic said:
really?
I saw a recent study which showed that 10 pound sunglasses most often than not provide very similar protection - usually just as good in fact.

My eyes don't lie. The difference is very significant. The visual clarity and glare reduction of their polarised lenses really is quite outstanding.

Associate
MarkST said:
Thats hardly a good reason for not buying them though, is it?

Mark.

Oh I suppose you're right. I've spent the day thinking how expensive it is just sitting here breathing...not actually doing anything...just sitting here...gas bill rolls in...leccy bill rolls in...mob bill rolls in...council tax rolls in....etc, etc.

Shades are not high on the agenda of "must haves" at the moment.

Caporegime
fanger said:
Oh I suppose you're right. I've spent the day thinking how expensive it is just sitting here breathing...not actually doing anything...just sitting here...gas bill rolls in...leccy bill rolls in...mob bill rolls in...council tax rolls in....etc, etc.

Shades are not high on the agenda of "must haves" at the moment.

That is a perfectly valid reason, if you are not getting the most use with your money, fair enough. But I wear glasses everyday so i make use of it every moment i am awake.

Associate
Raymond Lin said:
That is a perfectly valid reason, if you are not getting the most use with your money, fair enough. But I wear glasses everyday so i make use of it every moment i am awake.

Sorry to be a bit neg but not a good day today. Loads going wrong. I've got a battered old pair of Blocs that have done me for years. I've sat on them, crushed them in the hand, etc, and still they shield my eyes from the burning rays of the Sun like the faithful eye protecting servants they are.

If I had the odd couple of hundred quid in my pocket right now I can think of 10 things I'd do with it before laying out the cash for a new pair of shades.

Back
Top Bottom