I have a very old PC...

Permabanned
and it's very slow.

The specs were something like,

AMD Athlon 900mhz
256mb(x2 128mb sticks) Infineon RAM
Geforce 4 mx 440 Graphics Card

I have a much better PC but I still use this one quite a lot for general web-surfing and listening to music etc, but the problem is it's sooo bloody slow, even after a fresh install of Windows. It's at it's worse when you have more than 2-3 windows open..

I decided, in hope more than expectation, to buy some more RAM to see if it'd speed it up some. I managed to get hold of 3x 256mb Kingston RAM after checking my mother supported it, and that each slot could hold that much memory etc.

I removed the old RAM, and put this RAM in and booted up my PC but I don't see any increase in speed at all, nothing. I wasn't expecting a miracle but surely going from 256mb to 768mb was going to give me some kind of performance boost?

Is the rest of my PC just a terrible bottleneck or is 768mb RAM a dodgy number to have? Will removing a stick, and thus having 512mn RAM, speed it up at all?

Thanks.

Soldato
I have an Athlon 900, 512mb RAM and an FX5200 and it runs with three or four windows open and can even run some older games like Medal of Honour and C&C Generals without too much bother, so I don't think the CPU is the bottleneck.....other than that, I can't offer much advice, but thought I'd at least show that it's not necessarily the problem...

Associate
what's the make and model (and age) of the hard drive?

and just out of interest, if you can, download and burn a DSL bootdisk and see if the old rig is any quicker browsing the web and general tasks using that. i suspect it will fly.

Soldato
I had a Duron 1000mhtz, with 512mb ram and a geforce2mx, and it would also not have a problem opening multiple windows or hosting a few basic RTS games, like AOM or C&C.

Man of Honour
Since you say it is after a fresh install I'd probably be looking at the hard drive also and probably how many processes you have/need running. My old laptop is a PIII 850mhz with 128mb Ram and it takes a while to start up and boot fully into Windows but once there it is still reasonably nippy and easily capable of some light gaming, internet, music or word processing.

Back
Top Bottom