Elise buying advice/Mini buying advice

Associate
Yes I know they're very different cars, but I am looking at buying both.

Had enough of using my Boxster for work, putting lots of miles on it now so it's time for it to go. Problem is I have no idea what to buy, I have about 20k to spend without loans or HP (which I don't really want) and all the really choice cars I like are 30k +.

So, I need something easy to run for work, has to be a fun drive, look fairly respectable, I drive A road and B roads, lots and lots of journeys but fairly short ones so no motorway cruiser needed. However, I also want something for weekends that's fun, doesn't have to be practical in anyway shape or form and has some go in it.

Now the Boxster has been both those cars rolled into one and the obvious option is another Boxster. Yes I could buy a 911 but I'd have to buy a 5 or 6 year old one and then put 12,000 a year on it which I don't fancy doing. Or again I could get finance but I'd rather just buy with what I have (without getting into a debate over this I invest in property and while 20k doesnt go far an extra £500 a month towards btl mortgages does so financially in the long run it's a better way round to do it).

Back to point, it's been suggested I can get a couple of year old Mini Cooper for work and a few year old Elise for the weekends and combined they should hit around 20k. They would seem to fit the bill.

So, any tips or buying advice for either? Any alternative suggestions? I wouldn't want the daily driver to be over 2/3 years old ish and the weekend car to be much over 4 years old ish. Insurance is not an issue. Oh and forget M3's, 5 of my mates have them and I'm not being the 6th.

I'll add more as I think of it.

Soldato
I understand the Elise, you can (IMO) get more fun out of a focused car like this on weekend use only, but what I don't understand is the Mini?

Surely, you'd be better getting something for 5-6k and then spend more on the Elise?

Associate
OP
I'm open to suggestions, but for similar money what else can I get that's easy to get around the town in, cheapish to run and still fun to drive (I've driven a Cooper and it was a cracking little thing).

For the amount of journeys I make both need to be fun to drive cars.

Soldato
Mike said:
I'm open to suggestions, but for similar money what else can I get that's easy to get around the town in, cheapish to run and still fun to drive (I've driven a Cooper and it was a cracking little thing).

For the amount of journeys I make both need to be fun to drive cars.

Depends how many scruples you have :p

Clio 172 offers most if not more than the Mini (except the image), at much less. It has more power than both a standard Cooper, and (standard) CooperS.

A Focus ST170 might be another option also.

For you're money, I think you'd get a decent S2 Elise? But doubt you'd have enough for the 111R? Not that the 111S is anything to be snubbed at mind you :)

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox said:
12k a year isnt 'lots of miles'.

Keep the Boxster unless you do loads more than 12k.

It is for a Porsche that's already done 50k. I don't want to be still owning it (or trying to sell it) when it's next big service at 64k appears.

I prefer the look of the older Elise anyway and as it will be a 50 mile a week, fair weather thasher I'm not to fussed about spending the money on a newer one.

Image is a tough one, not too important to me but it is important to my clients, which is why the Boxster has been perfect, a few of our guys use Coopers now and they fit in well ish, not so hot on something like a Clio or a Foucs tho.

I know after all this I'll probably just end up with a newer Boxster. It's a tougher car to replace than I imagined.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
cooper :|

Mike, c'mon! Cooper S, maybe, but still, Mike, c'mon! You'll be telling me you think beatles are "cute" next ;)

as i say it in every thread i'll add it to this one too, buy a celica :p (j/k)

\/

And if its a weekend thrasher, buy a Caterham or Westy - know a guy selling a Westy with 800 miles on - V8 & 360BHP - 17k covers it - you know you wanna

btw - if you get a Kseries Elise - the old mans company does some sweet tuning work for it :)

http://www.ptp-ltd.co.uk/shop/

Last edited:
Soldato
Well you are clearly a man of good taste prefering the S1 Elise ;)

For £10k you will get a well looked after standard S1 though in your shoes I would be looking to spend £11k on a well looked after 111s or Sport 135. Both push out around 145bhp, the 111s via VVC (a bit like VTEC) and the Sport 135 via tuning a standard engine. See http://www.elises.co.uk/models/index.html for more model information. I went for the 111s it is the slightly newer model with improved seats and carpets :eek:

Spending £11k on an Elise will slightly blow your Mini budget but will still allow you to buy a Clio 182 which by all accounts is rather a good car. You will find that the Elise will be quickly promoted from weekend car to weekday car especially in the summer so IMO spending the extra money is perfectly justified ;)

http://seloc.org for loads of information or ask here and I'll try to help.

olv

olv

Soldato
saitrix said:
Get an old mini 1275. ;) Bore it out, run the bmw 16v bike head on it, new exhaust system, say hello to a 165bhp in a 625kg car.

aye, his clients will be saying "OMG YEAH LOL BORED OUT?! AWESOME!"

Just to let you know, Elise S1 production finished in 2000 (maybe 2001). either way you are going be looking at a 6 year old car. Not a problem if you pick a well looked after example.

that http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/91262.htm

and this http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/88963.htm

winner.

Back
Top Bottom