gigabyte 965p ds4 wont boot

Associate
Bottleneck with a Conroe, LOL :cool: no way

It will cruse. Get 2 sticks of 512 of the local PC4300 Brew, Dual Chan runs nice and nippy. 1GB still a bit low for a guru system though. :D

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=472

Read there about RAM, and how fast it really needs to be, PC4300 is fine. PC8000 is still cool though, even for a real world ~5% increase

Last edited:
Associate
Spoke to OcUk this morning RMA'd my G skill NR pc2 6400
tec said it happens a lot But not always
He said the corsair XMS2 6400 c5 would befine
also according to supported ram list for the DS3 the GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC5300 667MHz Value DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB5300DC) (MY-034-GL) works which they sell on Ocuk so there anther option
Have to say i was a bit upset as i phoned sales to check compatibilty for my order and they said was fine no issus means need to spend out close to £20 on post now, new order and send back old. Plus more wait time b4 i can get my new pc up and running and start boom headshoting again :D

Associate
martianrobot said:
what mobo are you running that in? is it the DS4?

I see you posted earlier that you "have a Pentium D 805 in there just now so the RAM is only running at 533 instead of 800."

Perhaps that is the reason why it is working... be interesting to know what would happen if you had a CoreDuo2 cpu in there.

Yes I have a DS4. You might be right that it's the running at 533 that's letting it work. I'll find out for sure when I get a conroe, if I have problems the DS4 is going to suffer ;)

Associate
Just to let you know - I have Corsair XMS2-6400 C5 - and it dont work in my DQ6. I see people say its fine, but it aint with me, even with my Bios update to F3a. The Geil memory is doing me fine though!

Associate
I have today received an E6600, DS4 and the Gskill NR RAM.
I experienced exactly the same problems as others, fans on, fans off etc.
I then decided to take others lead and buy some cheap DDR2 from the local No competitor talk please!.
I am now comfortably getting a POST screen and am going to attempt to set up my PC later tonight.
Piel - how did you get your NR to work when you had the problems with the DQ6? Did you overvolt it? if so, by how much?

And could anyone give me a rough guide to what is a safe voltage for DDr2 to run at? is 2.2V safe?

Thanks, LS.

Associate
I'm Pleased to report that OcUK accepted my g.skill NR PC2-6400 back on an RMA. I decided to try locally and got 2x1gb Elixir PC2-5300 (DDR2-667) from Fleece Me World... seems to work fine, and I've got my system setup now.

Unfortunately it's been an uphill struggle, and I'm way less than satisfied and am continuing to have problems.

After setting my system up I went to install Oblivion... and it was taking absolutely ages. It took about 15 mins to install about 10% of the disk. So I cancelled and went to look at the drive controller settings in Device Manager - and lo and behold the IDE channel the DVD-RW drive was in was stuck in PIO mode without any way of changing it to DMA.

I tried un-installing the drivers, removing the controllers, and all the registry hacks out there etc etc but no joy - it was stuck permanently in PIO mode. Eventually I got it running at proper speed by disabling the AHCI mode for the Gigabyte SATA2 controller. So now my Samsung drive is running in legacy IDE mode. Great.

I've got a £135 motherboard that won't take DDR800 so I can't do any optimum OCing, it won't allow me to run my SATA2 drive in SATA2 mode... and it now has started making a horrendous hissing noise when I play Oblivion - well, bizarrely enough, whenever a menu is on screen in the game... now what the hell is causing that?

I've spent over £900 building this system and it's pants. The hard drive vibrates quite badly, the Antec case is rattley and the fans are rubbish. As yet I haven't seen any real blistering performance of this much lauded 'Conroe' chip (though Oblivion looks the bees knees at 1280x1024 with HDR and all settings maxed - I put that down to the X1800XT though).

I think I would have been better sticking to that budget AMD 64 system I was building until I got distracted by all the glowing reviews of the Intel Core Duo 2. In fact, I'm beginning to regret selling my Intel iMac to fund this crap. At least that just worked - even when running Windows XP on it.

Now I know why I went over to Apple when I did... system building is really bl**dy annoying, very very frustrating and you've got no comeback if something goes wrong - trying to get even expensive quality components that work together is a minefield, and once you've pulled the motherboard / CPU / gfx card out of the box you are ****** if you are less than happy with it.

:mad:

Associate
martianrobot said:
and it now has started making a horrendous hissing noise when I play Oblivion - well, bizarrely enough, whenever a menu is on screen in the game... now what the hell is causing that?

I would like to know this too :eek: think it comes from my psu!

martianrobot said:
I'm beginning to regret selling my Intel iMac to fund this crap. At least that just worked - even when running Windows XP on it.

Damn :(

Last edited:
Associate
ryansm said:
Just to let you know - I have Corsair XMS2-6400 C5 - and it dont work in my DQ6. I see people say its fine, but it aint with me, even with my Bios update to F3a. The Geil memory is doing me fine though!

There's a F3d BIOS out on XS forums if you have a loook mate.

Worth a try???

Associate
ryansm said:
Well the OcUK tec i spoke to this morning said it would be fine so i went ahead and ordered it arrives tomorrow hopefully.
Where will i stand if that don t work already sent back the G.skill the cost of post could end very dear
may be i should stop buying pc parts and buy some shares in City Link

Associate
Let me know if it works as I would rather be using my corsair...my corsair was bought a while ago so a newer batch could be better and may work. I am sure OCUK Tech would have prob tested.

Back
Top Bottom