DELETED_5350

Soldato
smoove said:
Hi, I'm just wondering in what order you actively perform the whole web design process. I'm trying to workout in what order or way I'm going to make it work for me.

Now, I'm a little worred after number 4, because I'm not sure if thers an alternative way todo it. Obviously each part needs to be broken down into more detail, but I'm fearfull of 4 & 5 repeating them selfs for a long time if the customer decides he wants to change the slightest thing and I have to show him. Any suggestions?

why have you got the meet with them to show them the finsihed thing, why not just host a test version and let them evalauate it and send you need back either via email or the phone, will be a lot quicker than meeting up everytime when you think you've cracked it.

Permabanned
Yup, set up their domain and hosting for them (extra quids) and create a test directory for them, and allow them to be an active part of the development.

Once you're both happy, copy it over to the live directory.

They also have the test area for future testing and experiments without having to disrupt the live site. That will cut out a lot of time, because so far your approach is a little long winded.

Soldato
lol same here, chances are they are a medium to big company who will have internet access or it'll be someone who just wants a personal website and will have access at home.

If they don't have access to the internet i can't see why they'd be bothered in wanting a website as there'd be no way for them to manage/update it.

Associate
sounds to me like you need to set out a project brief, give a realistic time frame for changes, and subsequent changes are cost incurrence factors for the customer.

If a customer is making big design changes to the brief in the latter parts of the process, either your initial brief was a tad suspect, or your both getting distracted from the initial concept. Don't be afraid to charge customers who change the goal posts.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
before you start developing, get all content signed off. i also think it's very unprofessional to take money up front, but that's just me.

also, what DJ_Jestar said

Associate
If the client is unknown I think its quite acceptable to ask for a deposit upfront.

I wouldn't develop the site in full prior to showing it to the customer.

Do the major design, the index page and maybe one or two others then ask for their comments. Get the design right before going ahead and devloping the entrie site.

The number of times you allow the customer to do this depends on what kind of business you want to run. If you want to provide an a-class service you will allow them to continue doing this until they are happy. Else state in the contract how many times you will be happy for them to make changes.

Justin

Caporegime
If you are developing the site in a MVC kind of way (you View is seperate from the Model [aka logic or the processing]) you can knock up some draft pages, which can be just static HTML or even an image made in Photoshop and whilst they are deciding on the layout, you can work on the logic and processing.

Caporegime
the above + in order to have a CMS and the ability to change stuff, you have to have something to start with in the first place, which will need drafting up - in steps my suggestion of a mock up using static html and/or images.

CMS will also require dynamic content, this will not be available at the beginning of the process.

Soldato
Very sorry to bump an old thread, but I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm in the process of putting a business plan together and an idea I had was selling small user packages, which in effect would be wordpress and a theme of choice. I would make it clear that they werent paying for wordpress it's self, but for the customization of graphics, design, content etc.

This would allow me to sell and produce sales quite quickly and on the plus side, allow me to update quite easily. What do you guys think about this?

Never really used WordPress but you would probably need to check this out with them.

Could you not just create your very own CMS, have all the rights and charge a lot more money? There are a wealth of tutorials on the net for creating a CMS and plus I'm sure if you get stuck some of the great people here could help. ;)

Associate
use Wordpress if you want it's a good simple yet powerful CMS and easy to use. But you can't charge for licence, i.e. the software cannot be sold. You can however charge for your time to integrate it and customiize it.

Back
Top Bottom