How much should I charge

Soldato
Depends how long you spend making the flyer and how good it is..

I could make a flyer in 1 minute, but it'd be rubbish..

I could make a flyer with stock photography etc that takes an hour or 2 which is perfect for their needs.. Id then think what i should be earning an hour to cover my basic costs and then maybe add on a bit considering how good the flyer is.

Associate
OP
Well it probably took me about 5 hours to make this flyer from initially concept to finished work (maybe a bit longer if for get hold of some of the stock material)

This is the result:
flyer1.jpg

Bottom
flyer1bottom.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Give the title of the club (and accompanying text) a light glow to make it stand out :)

For charging, decide on an hourly rate and specify how many hours it took.. so call it £10/hour.. 5hours.. £50.

Though you can go higher than £10/hour of course.

The number of fliers is irrelvant to you, unless you are the one providing them. All that is relevant to you (and more specifically, how much you can charge) is how much of your time was needed to create the design, and any possible charges for images (royalties, etc)

Associate
I would be inclinced to charge them £300-£500 for that design.

Think about how much custom they are likley to recive and what percentage your fee will be of that revenue.

Justin

Associate
I doubt they'd pay £500 mate. When i've put on nights i've paid £50 tops for someone to design a flyer.

When you've got venue hire, DJ's to pay, bouncers to pay etc you want to spend as little as possible on the design of the flyers, most people just throw them away. As long as they are out there then its OK (to an extent).

Associate
Phaser said:
most people just throw them away.

Indeed, this is the case and another justification for charging them large amounts of money.

I really don't think entertainment venues consider the environmental impacts of producing flyers like this. They (probably) mostly endup in landfill, they litter our streets and are a general nusence to the receipent.

If it costs them (the venues) a lot to design then maybe they will think more carfuly about their marketing strategy.

Justin

Caporegime
JustinW said:
Indeed, this is the case and another justification for charging them large amounts of money.

I really don't think entertainment venues consider the environmental impacts of producing flyers like this. They (probably) mostly endup in landfill, they litter our streets and are a general nusence to the receipent.

If it costs them (the venues) a lot to design then maybe they will think more carfuly about their marketing strategy.

Justin
or just find someone who does them cheap.

Soldato
£500 for the design of a flyer seems like far too much to me. £50 seems more realistic, and as it took you five hours to make it I think it's a good price. Bear in mind that if you charge too much they'll probably go to someone else. And if you charge something reasonable, they will come back to you in the future.

Associate
it is normally better to specify in advance of your hourly charge that way you can kind of 'test the water' on how much you could charge them.

I think as a first time designing for them i would suggest between £50-£100.

I am also taking a note not to go to that night!! £4 WITH NUS bit steep ill just stick to my current 'dives' Rock City on a thursday £1 with a flyer be midnight! haha

Soldato
Mr_L said:
£500 for the design of a flyer seems like far too much to me. £50 seems more realistic, and as it took you five hours to make it I think it's a good price. Bear in mind that if you charge too much they'll probably go to someone else. And if you charge something reasonable, they will come back to you in the future.

I would concur.. £50-100 sounds alright to me. Depending on how often you do these fliers etc, how new you are to making fliers, e.g. the newer the less you charge just to build up a customer base. But then again if its a one off thing, id be inclined to hit 60-70 as i can also confirm that is a very nice flier.

Back
Top Bottom