What MP3 player?

Wise Guy
Permabanned
I'm after replacing a rather ancient, and bulky, 20GB player, and would appreciate model suggestions.

Criteria are :-

- at least 20GB, rock-bottom minimum. More (say 60GB) is preferred.
- only interested in audio. No interest at all in video, photos, games, internet, etc
- sound quality is paramount
- because of the above point, high quality MP3 files MUST be supported
- I will prepare ALL files myself. Download capability (or services) are of zero interest
- because of the above point, either easy to use transfer software, or the ability to just copy files on
- decent battery life, and the ability to acquire, and user-change battery.

I don't care about brand, and I'm not interested at all in "fashion". If iPods are still currently in-vogue, I neither know nor care.

I will be using third party earphones, so anything that comes included is irrelevant - they'll get dumped in a drawer somewhere.

Price : within the bounds of sensible, whatever it takes to get the above.

Any suggestions that narrow my focus (or point at things to avoid) would be welcomed.

Soldato
Zen Vision:M, got mine a few days ago and i love it. I thought id miss my old Iriver H10, but i just dont.

Not sure what formats it plays in the way of music, but IIRC it plays more than an ipod/iriver does.

The software is lovely to use, its the olnt thing that was holding me back on *** purchase of the player, but its nicer than my H10 as the program is pretty much identical to windows explorer, so you can do drag and drop for files :) The software converts any file types that aint supported by the player, which is nice.

Ive played with a ipod video adn the zen, and the zen is just so much nicer to use in all aspects of the player.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been looking at getting a Zen:M myself for a while. Whats been holding me back is the choice of a small 4GB/8GB player that fits nuggly in my pocket, or a 30GB/60GB player that I can just stick everything on.
With Creative now releasing a 60GB version I'm thinking I'll go for the new version, whenever it appears.

Soldato
Vivitar P20. 20gb for a £100 and the bigger screen plus MP4, Divx and AVI playback and the card slots sold it too me.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
OP
chrisd said:
He said he had no interest in video playback.
Absolutely right. The only thing I'm interested in is high capacity, high quality MP3 audio playback. I don't even care if it has a colour screen, as long as I can navigate the contents, and pick tracks or albums, to play. I wouldn't reject a player because it had a colour screen, or video playback, etc., but I wouldn't buy it for that, or pay a single penny more for it, because it'll never be used.

The Zen Vision:M looks interesting, especially as it looks like a 60GB version is imminent. But the lack of user-changeable battery? That's a very serious black mark, in my book. It does turn out, however, that you can get AA-based "extenders", to recharge on-the-fly. I still badly resent not being able to do my own battery replacement, though, as and when it becomes necessary.

Back
Top Bottom