Forums closed tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
If you paid for the forums then complain all you like, Spie pays for it all and does a very good job of keeping the community ticking over whatever some think.

If he thinks it is worth closing, and I agree with him on that, then it will close.

It has happened, bit late to cause a stir over it isnt it.

Man of Honour
peterattheboro said:
But closing the forums will reduce custom for OCuK. I needed to find out some info before purchasing but I couldn't. So I had to go elsewhere.

Bad business move to be honest.

Like I said before, the best way all round is to have the 9/11 bit as the homepage and then a link into the forum.
If the owner of the shop and forum decides he wants to pay his respects in a way that loses him business thats his lookout, not yours and not mine. That decision was made, I hope you enjoy your purchases, if you have any further issues I suggest you make contact off the boards. I can't tell you any more than I have and we're already going round in circles.

Soldato
Guys, if you cant respect spies wishes, then go elsewhere, or one better, get a job. Theres more to life than a forum, and as this tradgedy displays, lifes too short to spend 24/7 on a forum. My manager at work had to ask around other shops today, and no-one actually knew if there was a silence today or not, so its nice to know that at least someone cares.

RIP to all that were killed that day, and IMO a worthy closure spie.

Man of Honour
basmic said:
So why was the use of the OcUK forums forced away from me?

Because the owner wanted to close them for 24 hours. You have no right to view the forums, your use of them is a privilege. Don't be so bloody ungrateful.

I don't see why people are arguing, what's done is done, forget about it ffs.

Associate
Tru said:
I think it might be because Overclockers is responsible for lots of people livelyhoods, while the forums appear to be for people to ask idiotic questions.
Presumably you don't see them as idiotic, if you are here :/

I'm not suggesting the Overclockers website should have been shut, I'm just questioning the idea that closing websites is anything to do with respect. If I shouldn't be on a forum as a mark of respect, then perhaps I shouldn't be spending money on new graphics card to play games with, as a mark of respect; but it seems that belief isn't held strongly enough to sacrifice money.

Note that once upon a time, people did shut their business as a mark of respect (I remember Sainsbury's closing during Diana's funeral) so it's not like the idea is ludicrous...

As for ideas which wouldn't have affected making money, I don't recall even seeing any links or messages about 9/11 on the main site? Surely that was a missed opportunity to get the message to plenty of people?

Soldato
M0T said:
Because closing the forums only annoys a bunch of small minded socially inept idiots rather than damaging the livlihoods of a lot of people.

Exactly, and that says a lot about the people who are sitting here arguing against closing the forums.

Im not sure if some of you genuinely beleive in what you are posting about ways to and not to show respect for the dead who had their lives taken from them by terrorists or if you are just looking for an argument.

God help the world if you are being sincere.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't see the problem its just a forum. IIR Spie visited New York often, seems like he really enjoyed the city and people, whats wrong about showing that by closing the forum?

Associate
Yes, ultimately someone is free to do what they like with their forum; I am not disputing that.

Nazbit said:
I think a lot of people here have the wrong attitude.

The owner of the forums chose to pay tribute to the memory of september the 11th and its victims, firstly there is nothing at all wrong with this, secondly its not your place to argue otherwise.

In my opinion the tribute was appropriate.

Are you all seriously saying that we should pretend 9/11 didnt happen?? Ofcourse not, every person here is going to have thought about those events at some point today, well that was your way of paying your respects, this was spie's.
But this is what I mean that anyone who disagrees is seen as disrespectful.

I don't think anyone has said we should pretend 9/11 didn't happen.

Associate
Nazbit said:
Exactly, and that says a lot about the people who are sitting here arguing against closing the forums.

Im not sure if some of you genuinely beleive in what you are posting about ways to and not to show respect for the dead who had their lives taken from them by terrorists or if you are just looking for an argument.

God help the world if you are being sincere.
And this too - can we refrain from the insults and the assumptions please?

Tru

Tru

Soldato
mdwh said:
Presumably you don't see them as idiotic, if you are here :/

I'm not suggesting the Overclockers website should have been shut, I'm just questioning the idea that closing websites is anything to do with respect. If I shouldn't be on a forum as a mark of respect, then perhaps I shouldn't be spending money on new graphics card to play games with, as a mark of respect; but it seems that belief isn't held strongly enough to sacrifice money.

Note that once upon a time, people did shut their business as a mark of respect (I remember Sainsbury's closing during Diana's funeral) so it's not like the idea is ludicrous...

As for ideas which wouldn't have affected making money, I don't recall even seeing any links or messages about 9/11 on the main site? Surely that was a missed opportunity to get the message to plenty of people?

I guess people can show respect in any way they please. I find the whole 'book of condolences' a bit of a joke but peoplejust love to sign them when anyone vaguely public croaks. You don't have to agree with the forums being shut but it's going to happen anyway.

Removed by Gilly

Man of Honour
mdwh said:
And this too - can we refrain from the insults and the assumptions please?
You're also assuming people are talking about you and those who can remain civil whilst disagreeing rather than the childish members who can't behave politely when their precious forum is removed.

Associate
Tru said:
I guess people can show respect in any way they please. I find the whole 'book of condolences' a bit of a joke but peoplejust love to sign them when anyone vaguely public croaks. You don't have to agree with the forums being shut but it's going to happen anyway.
*shrugs* And you don't have to listen to those talking about it.

I guess Sainsbury's are idiots too then?

Associate
Good job on the memorial page spie really made me take a step back and recognise the sheer scale of terror experienced by everyone on 9/11. Closing the forums was a good idea and reminds us off those who lost there lives.

thedazman

Soldato
I must admit, I am dissapointed in some members here on this thread tonight. You have shown signs of immaturity that i cannot believe.

Some of you need to get a life.

This is a forum, life does not revolve round it. its nice here and we follow rules and resepct the owners wishes, if we dont like it there are 100's more forums out there. I am on a lot of other forums and some closed today as well as some didnt, but all had a thread or two related to 9/11 on it.

Think before you type some of you please.

and lastly, may we never forget!

Associate
Gilly said:
You're also assuming people are talking about you and those who can remain civil whilst disagreeing rather than the childish members who can't behave politely when their precious forum is removed.
Fair enough (though Tru at least said his comment was directed at me). I have no time for claiming anyone has a right to this forum, but I'm equally disappointed at the seemingly blanket insults that come from those in support. It would perhaps be interesting to discuss the issues around respect, what it means, and how it can be done, and what's the best way to get people to remember.

I'm sure both "sides" should agree that degenerating into a flame war isn't what anyone would want to be remembered by!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom