My new Dell 2405FPW - pictures & first impressions

Soldato
Yaka said:
headrat how do they compare to the 2405?

and how is the component imput with the 360?

To be honest they seem very similar (never had any problems with the 2405) I think the biggest thing I notice is they have a better viewing angle.

Component with the 360 is fine also.

HEADRAT

Associate
smit101 said:
I've had a 2405 since March of this year and it's been a pleasure to use eversince,unfortunately the card reader packed up the other day, so after consultation with Dell customer support they have agreed to swap out the monitor.

I didn't go into any specifics with them regarding the replacement and whether or not it would be a new or refurbished monitor,manufacture of the 2405 I would assume has now stopped due to the introduction of the 2407 so is it possible I could end up with the new model,I'm really hoping otherwise as I much prefer the older 2405.

Has anyone recently had a swap out for the 2405 and if so what did you receive as replacement? Thanks for any info.

So what did you get then? 2405 or 2407? Just called Dell as I got a line appeared down the right hand side of the screen about just to the left of the - key. No problems they are shipping a replacement for tommorow.

Associate
Well I cant complain, I received a replacment refurbished 2405 a few days after I posted here.

Then unfortunatly it too went faulty.

Today I have had delivered a Shiney NEW 2407 FOC from Dell!!! Result!!! :D

Dell Customer services were very helpful!

Associate
What's the official verdict then? 2405 or 2407 is "best"?

Personally I can't fault the 2405 but I am getting the high pitch whining now after it's been on for a while...Is this a fault or natural? :confused:

Soldato
REDD555 said:
What's the official verdict then? 2405 or 2407 is "best"?

Personally I can't fault the 2405 but I am getting the high pitch whining now after it's been on for a while...Is this a fault or natural? :confused:

i have that sometimes and mines 18 monts old - still dont regret spending the £530 i took months to save on it though :D

what are peoples ideal settings for brightness, contrast and gamma? ive ben fiddling for ages but cant get it quite right :(

Associate
Hmmm. I heard people complaining about it earlier in this thread but wasn't sure if it was a fault or just a characteristic of this particular monitor.

Anyone shed some light on this? And what happened to your guys monitors that needed sending back? Just interested that's all :D

Soldato
Admittedly I am comparing my 2407 to My 2005 and until I had the 7 I really liked the 2005 and thought it was a fabulous monitor - however it hasnt been switched on in months since I got My 07 as the new one is sooooooo damned good

At some point I have to get around to uninstalling the CATS so I can get my pci card installed and then connect my 05 to it - last time I tried attaching both to my X1900 Crossfire card , all monitor options etc went screwy

Associate
I too cannot fault my 2405, the only thing I would even think about for future purchase would be another 2405 (wont even look at a 2407) or a 30"er like the 3007 BUT only once there is a model out there that handles all the inputs. I can't believe Dell dropped the ball with the 07 models with the lack of inputs compared to the 2405s.

**EDIT**

I love how this thread just wont quit :p

Associate
Yep. Love mine too but just wondered about that whining noise. If everyone is agreed the 2405 is better than the 07 I'm frightened to have to send mine back incase I get the newer "inferior?" one :confused:

Associate
REDD555 said:
Yep. Love mine too but just wondered about that whining noise. If everyone is agreed the 2405 is better than the 07 I'm frightened to have to send mine back incase I get the newer "inferior?" one :confused:

Well I like my new 2407, the faster screen doesnt hurt either and the stand and display look better too so thats a bonus.

All round I like it, Definately would not swap back.

Man of Honour
OP
the whining issue was a problem with some of the 2405FPW stock, caused by the power supply and normally manifesting itself after being turned on for a few hours. You may be able to return it to Dell, but depends on whether it's very obvious or not?

Associate
Baddass said:
the whining issue was a problem with some of the 2405FPW stock, caused by the power supply and normally manifesting itself after being turned on for a few hours. You may be able to return it to Dell, but depends on whether it's very obvious or not?

Yes. That's it exactly. Never noticed it before because I only use the PC for a couple of hours at a time.

Not it's been on a while the whining is definitely noticeable. :(

Shall I pursue it? The monitor is awesome apart from that. No dead pixels and just beautifully bright and colourful.

Man of Honour
OP
well it depends if it bothers you enough for the hastle of changing it? If you aren't using the screen for extended periods, then simply switching it off / setting it to go to standby, might do the trick :)

Back
Top Bottom