Sony put one up on MS finally?

Soldato
Ok following from a thread I saw in the PC section i notcied this LINK.

So that's the first advert for Blu-Ray Ive ever seen, and it suddenly got me thinking.... I haven't seen MS trying to push HD-DVD. So all the people who don't know will start buying Blu-Ray players, and then who has a good footing for the format war? Why Sony of course. MS and the other associates behind HD-DVD need to start now I feel, lest all the bad people who buy things without research go out and buy Blu-Ray cos it's the one they heard babout.

Soldato
badgermonkey said:
I feel, lest all the bad people who buy things without research go out and buy Blu-Ray cos it's the one they heard babout.

If you can impulse buy on a £1000 product, they have more money than sense.

Soldato
I agree, it's only the early adopters who'd be buying one at the moment, and they're gonna be well informed on whichever one they're going for.

Overall, the format war will be won by whichever one dominates the mass market, not just the early adopters - that's assuming that there is just one winner, who knows, there may be room in the market for both formats.

Associate
smokedog said:
If you can impulse buy on a £1000 product, they have more money than sense.

Exactly. Can you really find any BD or HD-DVD players or content in the UK yet? Walking through central London you will be lucky to find 2 stores stocking discs (with a grand total of about 5-10 movies in each format) and haven’t seen any standalone players on sale.

It seems marketing a product that doesn’t really exist here yet is a bit of a waste.

Soldato
badgermonkey said:

So that's the first advert for Blu-Ray Ive ever seen, and it suddenly got me thinking.... I haven't seen MS trying to push HD-DVD. So all the people who don't know will start buying Blu-Ray players, and then who has a good footing for the format war? Why Sony of course. MS and the other associates behind HD-DVD need to start now I feel, lest all the bad people who buy things without research go out and buy Blu-Ray cos it's the one they heard babout.

MS have already won. Their VC-1 compression codec is being used by both formats.

They don't really have any vested financial interest in HD-DVD but are helping to promote it. They prefer it technically but have said time and again, if blu-ray wins then they'll happily release a blu-ray player add on.

It reminds me a little of the american gold rush. Who made the most money, the gold diggers or the guys selling shovels?

Soldato
badgermonkey said:

Er last time I checked, we live in the UK anyway which means no cheap blue ray for 4-10 months depending on if sony up production. America and Asia have already established HD DVD/Blue Ray so its a moot point.

Soldato
I've had a couple people talking to me about HDTV in the family, and HD-DVD players. They were both under the impression that you needed a Blu-Ray TV to play Blu-Ray films.

I hope that's not representative of the buying public. :eek:

Man of Honour
Syph said:
I've had a couple people talking to me about HDTV in the family, and HD-DVD players. They were both under the impression that you needed a Blu-Ray TV to play Blu-Ray films.

Ha! That's rather funny, and quite an eye opener if a lot of the uneducated in the technology public look at it this way. This is where HD-DVD has the big advantage over Blu-Ray. Firstly, it's got DVD in the name, so it's a name they know, then, it's got the HD, which is what they're hearing all about with HDTVs, SkyHD and all that. Certainly a big plus point for HD-DVD.

Soldato
I hope blu-ray takes off and leaves HD-DVD for dust. Really none of us want a format war. If it becomes too even and stretched out between the two, both risk failing and we all loose out. As as the majority of us in 5yrs will be HDTV owners we should all support blu-ray, cos if they both fail no other company will take the risk and we'll all be lumbered with DVD till the end of mankind. I'm for blu-ray as its better in the sense that it has more support and more space, other than that both are the same in terms of picture quality. Plus is Sony have their way then it'll make it's way into 100,000,000 homes within the next 6-7yrs

But as it stands HD-DVD and blu-ray currently will only appeal to HD-TV owners.

Soldato
Syph said:

That sounds about right, you probably predicted the next 5 years just there. Will take a lot of advertising, etc to say otherwise

Caporegime
mrk1@1 said:
Er last time I checked, we live in the UK anyway which means no cheap blue ray for 4-10 months depending on if sony up production. America and Asia have already established HD DVD/Blue Ray so its a moot point.

PS3 in march is cheap blu-ray, until then theres always imports that customs miss. ;)

Back
Top Bottom