PC gaming dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
People are saying on gamespot forums that PC gaming in 3-5 years will be dead because developers see more money in console gaming (and other reasons) and will stop making PC games, tbh i hope this wont be true as im getting rid of my 360 to get a gaming pc.

Permabanned
Well, even if it is true, which of course it isn't, then in 3-5 years your gaming PC won't be up to that much anyway, so no need to worry. But this will never happen. It's pure nonsense.

Associate
Couldnt see nvidia and ati stopping making graphics cards for pc's tbh, is that not what they build them for first then convert them for consoles later after they bring out new ones for pc's? I have noticed smaller displays in shops now like game, their pc section is tiny now, used to be a whole wall of the shop.

Man of Honour
tomanders91 said:
People are saying on gamespot forums that PC gaming in 3-5 years will be dead because developers see more money in console gaming (and other reasons) and will stop making PC games, tbh i hope this wont be true as im getting rid of my 360 to get a gaming pc.
Was that in the console section by any chance?

At the moment, it could go either way, as there really aren't *that* many decent games that are coming out on the PC platform, well ones that I would want to go out and actually buy anyway. It's a difficult market to make things for, you have so many hardware configurations you have to accomodate for, it's crazy. It's no wonder developers are moving to consoles, they have to work on one, or two hardware specifications, and just tune the game to run on that, and nothing else. They wont have to worry about all those rubbish gaming PCs out there to get the game running on.

By the next generation of consoles, we'll have a lot more PC like consoles, meaning more of a merger between the two.

Associate
DaveyD said:
By the next generation of consoles, we'll have a lot more PC like consoles, meaning more of a merger between the two.

I defiantly agree with this. The last 2 gens have been moving heavily in this direction with features like downloadable content/patches, online play, video/audio playback, IM/online chat/friends lists and hard drives. The one real advantages PC gaming still has are the keyboard and mouse, and I would be surprised if future consoles don't add decent support for this.

Associate
If its a merger between two then it wouldn't be either console or pc. It would be like a new hybrid genre of gaming.

Associate
Would be great to leave PC gaming. I'd love it if a console came out that supported keyboard and mouse and was just as powerful. Would be so much simpler to have no more patching, gameplay issues, etc.

I dont own a console for the keyboard/mouse issue as I like RTS games, but if consoles supported PC like graphics and could play RTS games then id certainly dump the PC in favour of one.

I have a top spec PC which cost loads, but the games market is being kept back by people using cheaper systems and then complaining when the game runs slowly :rolleyes:

If I was a software company I'd much rather write for a single system rather than having to support PC software with all the different types of hardware configs, graphics settings, patching required, etc, etc.

It suprises me WHY pc games are cheaper than consoles considering it must surely be easier to code for a single hardware platform with a single set of hardware and not have to support it with patches, etc either! Thats the other thing that puts me off consoles :(

Man of Honour
number41 said:
It suprises me WHY pc games are cheaper than consoles considering it must surely be easier to code for a single hardware platform with a single set of hardware and not have to support it with patches, etc either! Thats the other thing that puts me off consoles :(

It may be cheaper to develop, but the publisher has to pay huge licensing fees to the console manufacturer to make a game for that platform. Effectively there is a 'tax' levied on console titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom