• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

QX6700 under load temperatures ?

Associate
I've reseated my zalman 9500 4 times now, best is with antec silver compound but I cant improve on the following temps -

idle - 35 C

with sp2004 -

loading single core - 59 C
loading all quad cores - 70 C

All stock and temps from coretemp.

Do these seem a bit high ? what is the maximum temp for the QX6700 ?

thanks,
Em Kay

Associate
I agree with Concorde Rules
Get a Tuniq Tower!!!
With sp2004 both core's at load the highest I got was 50C after 8 hour's :cool:
Just make sure it fit's in your case before you buy it :D

Permabanned
Concorde Rules said:
Does seem high but the heat its putting out probably too much for that.

Get a Tuniq Tower 120 tbh

LOL so you think that intel would sell a cpu that only 1 heatsink can cope with the heat load. These things would be fine with a stock intel cooler.

To the OP - have you got the downwards pressure evenly distributed over the cpu?

Associate
OP
well it seems quite happy running all 4 cores at maximum @ 70 C

core temp says the tjunction is 100 C so it will not be throttling just yet..

heatsink seems perfectly fitted and level so maybe the tuniq tower is the way forward, what temps are other people seeing with the QX6700 under load ?

Associate
I've switched from a Big typhoon to a Tuniq Tower as I wasnt happy with the load temps even with a powerful fan. The TT is a bit better 68 to 72 folding on 4 cores and the BT was high 70's to early 80's, as you say though the max temp before throttling is 100c (from what I've read, no concrete results though that I've found) They are a real toasty chip over 25c more at the same clock speeds as my x6800:eek:

Soldato
Mr Mister said:
LOL so you think that intel would sell a cpu that only 1 heatsink can cope with the heat load. These things would be fine with a stock intel cooler.

To the OP - have you got the downwards pressure evenly distributed over the cpu?

Do you think any heatsinks out there were actually designed for 4 cores? No, I don't think so. The TT120 is the best at the moment, and if it is because the cooler can't cope then thats as good as he can get apart from water/phase.

Associate
gurusan said:
The Zalman 9500 is one of the best coolers out there. The Tuniq is better, but there's not that big of a difference.

I second that. I bought a Tuniq Tower to see if it was much better than the Zalman 9500. I sent it back after the thumbscrew fell to bits in my hand. :eek: A near 1kg heatsink hanging over an expensive graphics card with dodgy thumbscrews just wasn't my idea of fun. The lapping on it is terrible too, while you can see your face reflected by the Zalman. Zalman have just bought out a bigger 9700 cooler which must be about on par with the Tuniq Tower for overall cooling without the hassle.

Permabanned
Concorde Rules said:
Do you think any heatsinks out there were actually designed for 4 cores? No, I don't think so. The TT120 is the best at the moment, and if it is because the cooler can't cope then thats as good as he can get apart from water/phase.

Doesnt need to be designed for 4 cores. Amd shipped the same hsf's with some dual cores as single cores. So did intel with the pentium d's and now c2d's

Mud

Mud

Soldato
Mr Mister said:
Doesnt need to be designed for 4 cores. Amd shipped the same hsf's with some dual cores as single cores. So did intel with the pentium d's and now c2d's

The higher X2's have a different heatsink don't they? Ones with cooling pipes for latent cooling. My singlecore 939 heatsink didn't have the heatpipes.

Associate
OP
I really like the zalman 9500 AT, it did a great job on my old E6600, so I'll probably keep mucking about with it a bit longer yet. I dont really like the look of the Tuniq.

The more I reseach on the internet the more it looks like the QX6700 is quite a toasty chip when all 4 cores are being stressed to the maximum.

I played dark messiah might and magic for a few hours last night and the temp didnt go over 45 C, the fan stayed on its lowest speed of 1400rpm - very quiet ! So looks like the CPU didnt have to do too much work !

Hopefully the heat sink compound will bed in properly over the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom