Games that will run on Vista?

Caporegime
Have they stripped out the 16-bit code in Vista 32-bit? It went with XP 64-bit which meant you couldn't run DOS games or early Windows games with 16-bit installers.

Soldato
ic1male said:
Have they stripped out the 16-bit code in Vista 32-bit? It went with XP 64-bit which meant you couldn't run DOS games or early Windows games with 16-bit installers.

Should be able to get around that if you play with the registers/system bus surely? (Pure guess based on what little knowledge I have of processors :p )

Soldato
ic1male said:

Same as XP, Vista32 will run 16-bit code, and Vista64 won't.

Soldato
I imagine it won't be long before Vista versions of DOS emulators are made. Things like DOS-box, if it isn't already Vista compatible.

Getting old DOS games to run on XP was patchy enough, I think emulators will be necessary this time round. Although I did get Duke3D working brilliantly on XP, but since the code is now open source there's no shortage of windows ports.

Soldato
Psyk said:
I imagine it won't be long before Vista versions of DOS emulators are made. Things like DOS-box, if it isn't already Vista compatible.

Getting old DOS games to run on XP was patchy enough, I think emulators will be necessary this time round. Although I did get Duke3D working brilliantly on XP, but since the code is now open source there's no shortage of windows ports.

been playing Duke3D recently online cooperatively with a mate. Excellent fun!

Soldato
barf0r said:
Is performance ok for the games speepery? Since gfx drivers and the operating system are in beta or whatever stage they are at.

I'm using the retail version, we were able to download it in work because we're an MS business customer.

Using the latest driver available for my x1800xt, and I don't notice any slowdown from XP. Should really have done some fps recordings, but I'm not that much of a geek :D If there is any difference it's not more than a few fps.

Creative didn't have drivers for my soundcard ready mind you, was a bit surprised at that. Using the mobo sound until they're released.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Killerkebab said:
Will you need to buy a separate copy of Vista to use 32/64 bit? Or will the CD simply decide which one to install by itself when it inspects your system?

I think you get two DVDs in your retail box - one 32-bit and one 64-bit. The key is the same for both versions, the key changes depending on whether you have Home Basic, Home Premium, etc.

Back
Top Bottom