NEC LCD20WGX2 review *** UPDATED 25/02/06 ***

ATI

ATI

Associate
are they sending em to ya in retail boxes and they are new arewnt they and was wandering if they support hdcp on the dvi?

Associate
Received the replacement (now my 4th screen) this morning and I'm glad to say this screen is much quieter. There's still a fizzle coming from the back but it's bearable.

The replacements are brand new retail models. NEC's support is the best I've experienced to be honest. If your monitor is faulty within a 2 week period of owning it, they will send you a brand new replacement with next day delivery free of charge.

This new Pro model does support HDCP no. But who cares when a screen looks as good as this!? It's the best screen I've laid my eyes on.... stunning to be honest.

ATI

ATI

Associate
its is a beauty i must admit, did you ask for the pro version or they just said thats what they have?

just confirm again it does support hdcp? :)

you see i,m stuck in bit of dilemma here, i just sold mine to a friend and so i,m open to a new screen i can get the same one or pro version or a totaly different screen.

the other dilemma this whole thig with vista DRM, do i need to go for hdcp supported and hdmi sreen if i,m upgrading to it in the future or would dvi be fine for it?

Associate
Mine arrived yesterday. Firstly, well done to OCUK for getting an order placed 20 minutes before the cutoff to Cornwall by 9:15 the next morning.

Previous monitor was an Iiyama ProLite E431S - no dead pixels and no bleed, been very happy with it for 2 1/2 years. I considered the Dell 2007FPW but missed the end of the This Week Only whilst dithering.

First impressions - exceptional packaging from the manufacturer, box appeared to have been opened once and re-sealed but there's no doubt everything inside was brand new. Took it out and holy crap it's like a mirror. Hooked it up via DVI (both DVI and VGA cables included. Cable tidy in the stand very neat and useful, USB hub handy. Loaded the driver and upped the resolution to native. The extra desktop space is very handy, even in things like iTunes and Excel.

Set the brightness and contrast to 50 each then twiddled from there until things looked right. I don't have a hardware calibrator so it's just what seemed right to me.

OSD - Lots of things to twiddle, heck you can even adjust the brightness of the power LED. There's an app on the disc to adjust settings from an extension of the Display Properties dialogue but it didn't seem to work too well for me (very slow to respond to changes).

Dead pixels - 1 black, about 2/3 up and 1/3 from the right. Hammered it with undead pixel for about 3 hours and no joy. You really have to look for it though, not worth RMA'ing it. I've looked at the NEC site and they don't seem to have a zero tolerance policy anyway.

Banding - Slightly at the lower end of a green & black gradient, and grey gradient, but only noticeable to me when checking for it.

Backlight bleed. I didn't notice any in normal use, but when checking for it there's quite a smear in the top left corner. Seemed to ease off some over the rest of the night. As I don't plan on using the screen in the dark, I don't really mind as it doesn't affect the image during normal use.

Reflectiveness - Sat here in ambient daylight I can see some reflection in the screen. The best analogy I can give is when your car windscreen is a bit dirty. If you look at the surface of the screen you can see the reflection (or dirt), if you look slightly through the screen it's not a problem. This is likely to be highly subjective though. It's a lot like the Sony X-Black screens I've seen on laptops.

Gaming - Don't have an FPS to hand, but the screen (and my 6600GT) coped very well with Rise of Legends at native resolution. Colours very vibrant, a real step up from my old screen.

Video - Tried DivX and DVD. Some blockyness of colour (e.g. smoke from explosions) and noise, but better than my old screen. Could be as much from the compression as the screen.

Scaling - Offers stretch to fill whole screen, stretch to fill in one direction and display 1:1. Anyone who read my post about the 2007FPW will know I was concerned about this. Fired up several games in MAME and tested all modes. Stretch wide does just that and it's surprisingly good. Keeping the aspect is perfect for what I need. Naturally there's some loss of clarity as images are being stretched 4x their size, but all in all excellent.

DV Modes - This is new to me - my old screen had 2 modes - on and off! The assorted DV modes really do change the picture, and a button on the panel allows you to cycle through them without going through the whole OSD. This will take me some time to get used to though. The only slightly odd thing I've noticed is that if I load up a screen with a lot of white on it (e.g. a blank word doc) the whole display gets brighter with DV mode on. It's definitely the whole panel as even the task bar brightens up. Most odd :confused:

Lastly - a brief panic last night. Left the screen on for a couple of hours whilst eating tea etc. whilst downloading a demo. Came back and fired up a black screen to check the bleed and NO!!!!! BURN IN ALREADY!!! I could clearly see my recycle bin and about 2cm of the right of the task bar (Outlook tray icon and I could even read the time!). That's now totally gone but I've set a screensaver just to be on the safe side.

I'm very happy with this screen - if anyone is considering it while it's on offer I say go for it.

ATI

ATI

Associate
hi

did you get the pro version or standard?

you sound ver pleased, anychance of posting the pics of the dp and the burn in pls?

does anyone know if its possible you could get a screen protector for th is panel and if its wise to do so?

Associate
I picked up the standard one from here as it's on This Week Only. With the Pro model there is no change to the panel, it's just compatible with the sound bar which I'm not going to use (although Creative have just told me the Xi-Fi cards wont run the Creative branded DTT3500 5.1 digital speakers I've got, but that's another gripe).

Linky - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/nec_press.htm

Had a new panel been used I'd have waited for the Pro.

The burn in has now completely gone :) It gave me one hell of a shock though! I'll have a crack at getting pictures of the DV modes but my old 2.1MP Fuji camera isn't that great at close up and low-light shots - hence no picture of the bleed. I'm sure I saw some comparison shots when Googling around before buying but I can't remember where!

Associate
Took delivery of mine this morning, standard version.

Spent the last 2 hours testing it and calibrating it.

No dead pixels, no backlight bleed and no noise at all.

Sold my 24inch BenQ as I didn't like it for gaming and just had no use for that much desktop. So far I am incredibly happy with this NEC.

Associate
Still quite surprised with people getting 3-4 duds in a row..Must be a bad batch? Mine was fine, and my cousin recently bought one and his is fine...

Everyone get their's from OC?

I did mention about the top panel is warped a bit, so bulges out a few mms, but looking back at the photos I took when I got it new,perfect, guess its the heat from the internals..But works fine, no strange noises..

I recommend holding out for one that works fine, but understandable to give up after 3 duds...

ATI

ATI

Associate
i know how you felt!

despite some probs if you can find my post about it when i got mines its cracking monitor. :)

Associate
ATI said:
i know how you felt!

despite some probs if you can find my post about it when i got mines its cracking monitor. :)

Well on your advise i just ordered it, though I was looking for HDMI, HDCP and atleast a 24 inch gaming lcd both Dell and BenQ dissapointed me. Its gonna be here on Thursday. :D Its my first lcd after a Mitsu 19 Diamond plus ( I have it for 4 years) which was awesome. Oh please let me know of dead pixel and banding checking software. Thanks

Will see on Thursday if I am any lucky..

Last edited:

ATI

ATI

Associate
ello all

just got my 2nd one, no buzzing like the first one at all in standby or anything else unlike my 1st which still works great.

small comparison of em both:

1st one:

- buzzing in standby mode
- colour bleeding from all corners but gone after a while of use (2-3 days)

2nd one:

- no buzzing at all
- bleeding at all corners (i,m hoping it will be gone after 2-3 days will keep everyone updated)

apart from that still cracking monitor

cheeers :)

Associate
ATI said:
ello all

just got my 2nd one, no buzzing like the first one at all in standby or anything else unlike my 1st which still works great.

small comparison of em both:

1st one:

- buzzing in standby mode
- colour bleeding from all corners but gone after a while of use (2-3 days)

2nd one:

- no buzzing at all
- bleeding at all corners (i,m hoping it will be gone after 2-3 days will keep everyone updated)

apart from that still cracking monitor

cheeers :)

Is it the pro or the normal version.

ATI

ATI

Associate
both normal, i would have waited for the pro if they had a new panel or fixes but from what i read its all the same apart from a pathetic soudbar :o

Back
Top Bottom