PC Gamer or PC Zone?

Soldato
considerig asking for a 1 year subscription for christmas to either magazine for 1 year just wondering what the best one would be to go for its a while since ive forked out a fiver for a mag :o

Associate
I agree with both the two posters above. I have read each a few times over the past year as a cover story caught my eye or I just needed something to read. Without fail have been quite disappointed, coverage on the internet (particularly with audio and video becoming common) seems miles ahead.

Suspended
I read both although I don't subscribe which I should do.I just pick copies up when I accompany the missus on one of her many frequent shopping trips :D
You should try Custom PC too which covers the tech side of things and has a lot of good hardware reviews.

Soldato
Wow what happened to pc gamer?!?! - I used to be a subscriber and found it to be a great read. I guess with broadband demo disks are a bit defunct and new information just a google away...

Don
Dannyb01y said:
Wow what happened to pc gamer?!?!

It went really down hill a few years ago where the reviews turned more into creative writing competitions between the reviewers rather than a straight forward review of the games. I haven't bought a copy since so not sure what it's like these days.

PC Zone used to be awful back then as well.

Jokester

Soldato
I wouldn't pay money for either of these pointless magazines.

About 6 years ago Gamer (and sometimes Zone) were useful.

Today they are wallets of expensive and nicely decorated toilet paper.

Associate
So what webpages do you use instead? I used to be an avid PCZone reader (from the days of Charlie Brooker), but gave up my subscription about 18months ago. Since then my purchases have been a bit random... :o

Associate
I get zone every month and have done for 5-6 years now.

The internet is great for current news but its nice to be able to take the news to the loo with you :D

Enjoy reading zone find it funny and well written, its also nice to find a couple of games you didn't know about or would normally not pay attention to.

CustomPc is also awesome not for games mind but hardware.

I get both mags everymonth and read them both front to cover.

Associate
z0mbi3 said:
PC Gamer used to be very good. Doesn't seem that way any more though.

I agree, my subscription expires soon and it won't get renewed. I originally chose PC Gamer as I felt it was more "adult" than PC Zone. Now PC Gamer has deteriorated (or have I just got older?) and the content is mostly shallow regurgitation of marketing materials.

Although there is also a lot to criticise about it I've found my online subscription to Gamespot to be far more use.

Associate
TBH 6 odd quid for a mag is a rip off, have you seen the hardware section in these mags?????? they suck :p

Best mag out there is Edge I've been reading it for years and the reviews are vrey honest ;) ;)

Back
Top Bottom