Asus MW221U 22" Ghosting in games.

Soldato
Im really liking this monitor except for noticable ghosting in games next to dark objects. I wish I had a camera to capture the effect, but in the picture below if i move the camera from left to right there is a thick bright yellow ghost of the fire escape to the right of the dark fire escape. I always expected the ghost to be behind but its in front of it as i move.

Does anyone else with this Asus have the same problem or have I got a dud ?

Heres a picture from in Oblivion in Anvil docks. Again when i move the camera there is thick yellow ghost of the dark ship next to it. It seemed more prominent at night time in game. If anyone has this game with the Asus or any of the other 22" panels I would be interested if its the same for you.

Soldato
Needless to say it doesn't show on screenshots.

Sounds like it could be 'overdrive' to me since it's in front rather than a trail behind. Overdrive is when the screen needs to go from one colour to a lighter colour, and instead of rising up to the new colour, it sets the pixel to white and then let's it fall down to the new colour instead. The reason being that on LCDs 'falling' is quicker than 'rising', so you get a quicker screen overall. You can imagine in some situations this could lead to a pale ghost in front of an object. Another thing that makes me think it might be overdrive is the extremely low 2 ms response time of that screen, way below any other widescreen when it's probably using the same panel as many of them.

It should be said though that overdrive shouldn't be visible/noticeable. IMO it's not acceptable that you can see it so easily. Lots of screens use overdrive without having this sort of ghost image. I should also say it might well not be overdrive at all.

I'd do a web search (and search this forum) for other people having the same problem. You could just have a faulty screen, but if all MW221Us do it then personally I'd send it back and get something else.

Soldato
OP
Lolcb said:
Screenshots don't show ghosting etc lol. U need to take pics of it.

Hence why i said "I wish I had a camera to capture the effect" :rolleyes:

It would be useful if someone could look at a similar screen to see if they have it. Its that bad i think im going to RMA. Also it seems im not the only one with the problem. This guy has it too.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Baddass said:
something like Powerstrip might allow you to create a custom res/refresh to try

Ive just created a custom profile with 75Hz in the Nvidia driver, unfortunatly the screen becomes corrupted and text looks messed up. :(

Soldato
OP
Another thing i was wondering. The monitor only displays a picture with the connector furthest away from the motherboard on my graphics card. I would have thought either output would work fine like it does with my CRT. Is that normal ?

Soldato
OP
Can someone explain this. The monitor only displays a picture with one of the DVI outputs from my gfx card, the connector furthest away from the motherboard. I would have thought either output would work fine like it does with my CRT. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom