vista 32 or 64 bit?

Associate
not really savvy with the whole 64bit operating system etc...but last i was reading was that the 64bit drivers wernt too hot. has this all been cleared up yet or are there still issues?

so basically, do i get the 32bit or 64bit version of vista?

Caporegime
There's no reason not to go 64 bit. Driver support for the OS isn't going to be the poo-fest that Windows XP x64 was, so there's only advantages.

Associate
personally prefer the 32bit. i dont see the support 64bit software and 32bit is at its best. 64bit maybe end of the year

Associate
OP
Caged said:
I should add, provided your hardware isn't / won't be ancient :)

built this system around mid 2005 so i would like to think that everything is going to be ok
msi k8n sli platinum mobo
amd athlon 64 3500+ wini
6600 gfx card
1gig generic pc3200 ram
wd raptor
saegate barracuda

if not, then it will have to wait till i build a new one (towards the end of this year :()

Caporegime
burnsy2023 said:
If your upgraqding to Vista, there really is no reason to stay at 32bit. 64bit can still run all the 32 bit software.

Burnsy

Thats what I thought until sound wouldn't work at all because I had a creative audigy 4 sound card and the 64-bit drivers didn't work for it.

Soldato
I think you are confusing yourself here..

Windows XP 32Bit and 64Bit are different.

Vista 32Bit and Vista 64Bit are different.

The thing you need to realise is that Both 32Bit and 64Bit drivers for vista will be available as and when.

So, in all honesty, if you have a 64Bit CPU then you need to go 64Bit Vista... Only go for the 32Bit if your CPU is 32Bit.

The 32Bit support for Vista will not last long, given that the manufacture of 32Bit CPUs will soon stop, if it has not done so already, what you will find happen, is that your 32Bit support for Vista will decline and you will be left in the lurch again... Kind of anyway.

Soldato
Iv been struggling to answer this question as well :( theres no real info out there showing proper differences in it, I WANT to get 64bit vista, but then im well worried its going to mess up badly, what do I do ? also what about codecs on 64bit vista? I need to run ffdshow and stuff like that, will it work ?

Soldato
Codecs and other 'software' will be fine - it's only the drivers for your hardware that are an issue (any 32 bit software will just be run under emulation) - best to check with the manufacturers of your accessories (sound cards / gfx / controllers etc...) before buying - obviously support will improve - but having been badly stung by Xp64 I'm still a little cynical :rolleyes:

Edit: You can multi-boot what ever you like! ;) (go on - get some 3.11 on there for old time's sake!)

Soldato
Combat squirrel said:
Another thing Could I dual boot Vista 64 premium and XP MCE 2005 32bit ? that would be ideal
I've ordered Home Premium 64 OEM and plan to dual-boot it with my existing XP Pro 32 installation until I'm totally happy that everything works fine on Vista. Sounds like the safest/cheapest way forward.

Soldato
Hmmm after researching around and finding Vistas completely stupid content protection system, I think ill steer clear, how wrong is that though ? forcing users into even more unstable and costly PC's just so the industry can try and stop copying, I know for a fact it will be cracked and more than likely play better on 'older' pc's without hdcp and polling the system every 30ms, why MS why :(

Associate
Stick with 32bit for now.

As said by me and many other people before:

1. The support just isn't there, and won't be for awhile.... Some things will never have 64bit drivers!
2. The performance "boost" is hardly noticeable, and only when you are running 64bit programmes. In which there arn't that many.
3. Not many people have more then 4GB of memory, which is the main reason to go 64bit.
4. 16bit, yes ole faithful, do you have any 16bit programmes you want to use? With 64bit Windows thats a no go!
5. Some programmes (32) dont like 64bit, although this is only a handful.
6. Flash and Java, both dont work on 64.... (JRE and JDK work fine, but as for the browser plugin ...)
7. Thats all i can think of for now.

Soldato
NO! - the support for Vista will be 100% the same whether its 32 or 64 bit.

There will only be the one driver for them both, with both the 32 and 64bit drivers in there... There will not be any drivers available for any hardware unless they have both the 32bit and the 64bit.

So, for Vista, its useless trying to compare them and using drivers as the issue... If you can get the 32bit drivers, then you can get the 64bit ones.

This is different to how XP32/64 is.

Its part of MS's ruling... They wont sign any drivers unless they have both.

Also somethign to think about... With all CPUs going to 64Bit, and how much MS want to kill off old hardware etc, the support for Vista32 will be dropped soon enough!

If you want long term life out of vista then dont bother with 32bit... Thats just for the plonkers who want it and dont want a new PC.

Soldato
FatRakoon said:
If you want long term life out of vista then dont bother with 32bit....

True but then I upgrade my pc a lot, so carnt even buy the OEM version (which I would as its cheaper) so HAVE to fork out for retail so I can change my pc, stupid licence agreements :mad:

Man of Honour
Combat squirrel said:
True but then I upgrade my pc a lot, so carnt even buy the OEM version (which I would as its cheaper) so HAVE to fork out for retail so I can change my pc, stupid licence agreements :mad:

But with the retail licence you can switch between 32bit and 64bit.

Burnsy

Back
Top Bottom