The Official OcUK Vista Licencing Questions FAQ Thread

Associate
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/03/ms_vista_climb-down/

I think Microsoft had done a climb-down on Upgrading other hardware components other than the motherboard, if you change the motherboard for a different specification one, then you might get problems, as for slamming in more RAM changing the graphics board, I dont think thats going to throw up any more than the usual activation prompt, that appeared in Windows XP, the MS Server will see the motherboard is the same and will re-activate against your new bits of non-motherboard kit.

There was a lot of Hype last time when windows XP came out, I think this is a bit more of the same, and eventually we all learnt to live with it.

Activation is designed to ensure that all users of the OS have a legitimate copy, and was aimed at the "man-in-the-street" and his casual copying of software. Whilst we can say FAST is for big business, Activation is designed to protect at all levels right down to "man-in-the-street"

Shunts...

Soldato
OzyOly said:
You might not be able to upgrade your motherboard at all. The M$ is being a lot more strict this time. You probably won't be able to activate over the phone with OEM this time.
Well that would be the simplest solution, I mean if you replaced the mboard with the same model it would just stay activated, the question only comes into play (as far as MS is concerned) if you change it because it broke and you couldn't get the same model and how likely is that in the real world.

Actually, considering the number of dells etc that will have vista, it could happen I suppose.

Associate
Slam62 said:
Well that would be the simplest solution, I mean if you replaced the mboard with the same model it would just stay activated, the question only comes into play (as far as MS is concerned) if you change it because it broke and you couldn't get the same model and how likely is that in the real world.

Actually, considering the number of dells etc that will have vista, it could happen I suppose.
Dell's do not need to be activated the OS is locked to the bios , and will only install on a dell

Soldato
lordedmond said:
Dell's do not need to be activated the OS is locked to the bios , and will only install on a dell

This bios in on the motherboard so vista wouldn't activate, in fact would it even install on a dell motherboard transplant to a new motherboard?

Soldato
Rebelius said:
all you people who are saying it's ok to blag an activation after an upgrade because you already paid for an OEM license so it's ok, honest...

why not just download vista from a torrent, that way it's even cheaper and just as legal.

edit: I know this post is against forum rules, but no one in 8 pages has been picked up for talking about piracy.
Well put...

Soldato
OzyOly said:
Licence is transferred from first activation of vista.

lordedmond said:
I would say that when you install vista then the xp would be revoked , as DELL os are locked to the bios tehn you do not need a key to install nor do you neeed to activate but the new key must be fixed to the case

Ok thanks guys, one more quick Q; what exactly is this "BIOS Locking". I was planning on reformatting the Dells (with XP Pro) as soon as they arrive, as apparently they are filled with quite a lot of bloatware. Is this actually possible with a normal XP Pro disc? I imagine they don't give you an XP Pro disc and one of those annoying software restore discs instead...

Cheers,

Suman

Associate
Sumanji said:
Ok thanks guys, one more quick Q; what exactly is this "BIOS Locking". I was planning on reformatting the Dells (with XP Pro) as soon as they arrive, as apparently they are filled with quite a lot of bloatware. Is this actually possible with a normal XP Pro disc? I imagine they don't give you an XP Pro disc and one of those annoying software restore discs instead...

Cheers,

Suman

Ok in simple terms the disk that DELL supply with your PC checks for a string in the bios on the mb and then just installs with no activation or key , its a volume licenced copy ( VLK )

\btw they are normally a normal install disc without the bloat

Soldato
Do you think OCUK give it away for no profit? By the time you break down the costs and slice of the price taken by all the people involved in most products you'll see it's a fairly even split.

I suggest you take a look at how much "this week only" deals reduce prices and still leave OCUK making a profit to get a feel for markups.

It's just trendier to post twaddle about evil microsoft with no real basis in any fact or the real world because if you had the front to criticise OCUKs pricing of any products you'd be outta here.

Last edited:
Soldato
Athanor said:
Do I need to? Do you think OCUK give it away for no profit? by the time you break down the costs and slice of the price taken by all the people involved in most products you'll see it's a fairly even split

Right. So what is your point. Isn't this the whole point of retail?

Permabanned
OcUK's prices are probably on par with most of the PC retailers out there. They would be stupid to hike the prices up. Overall though, they are quite competitive.

Soldato
Errr? I made my point, which you seemed to disagree with. People are brave enough to **** of MS and advocate piracy using unlicensed software because there are no consequences but don't have the front to have a go at OCUK for making the same sort of markup.

I Have no idea what you are on about! Do you?

If that's the point of retail then it's also the point of publishing software.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Athanor said:
Errr? I made my point, which you seemed to disagree with. People are brave enough to **** of MS and advocate piracy using unlicensed software because there are no consequences but don't have the front to have a go at OCUK for making the same sort of markup.

I don't think you know what you are on about mate!! Gee!

Soldato
Athanor said:

Look if the price of vista was the same price as the US price then I would gladly buy the retail and not say another word.

People wouldn't complain about the licence if we could get the price of vista down to US prices.

OCUK do not controll the price, our high TAX and M$ do.

OCUK will probably make the same money on the software as a US retailer. It is not OCUK that make the price high.

Soldato
pcknight said:
I don't think you know what you are on about mate!! Gee!
Nope I think that's you mate.

I made the point that although MS and OCUK (and others in the supply chain) make a profit on a copy of Vista you think posting giving MS a hard time is a "cool" thing to do because there are no consequences.

I was trying to point out that you don't give OCUK a hard time for making a profit on each copy of Vista and it's not really fair to then give MS a hard time as they make similar amounts each on a £80 copy of OEM. It's not a case of MS making £70 and OCUK only making £10.

Last edited:
Soldato
OzyOly said:
Look if the price of vista was the same price as the US price then I would gladly buy the retail and not say another word.

People wouldn't complain about the licence if we could get the price of vista down to US prices.
Yes they would, people rip off CDs and DVDs all the time for £10 a throw, price isn't the point if someone thinks they can get something for free

OzyOly said:
OCUK do not controll the price, our high TAX and M$ do.

OCUK will probably make the same money on the software as a US retailer. It is not OCUK that make the price high.
Proof for this statement please?

I've already illustrated the potential markups etailer make when you see how much stuff can be reduced in the sales and still turn a profit. It's basic economics, in the US the can expect to sell substantialy more of a product because it's a much bigger market, hence everyone involved can afford to make less per unit and still cover costs and a profit.

I'm not saying OCUK make the price high, I'm just pointing out it's not just MS making money on a copy of Vista and they don't set the price.

Last edited:
Soldato
Athanor said:
Proof for this statement please?

Tax in the US is approx 5% but varries. Tax in UK is 17.5%. Also M$ have always charged more in the UK, calling the localisation crap for an excuse for the price.

If OCUK could sell vista for £50 less and still make a profit they would considering everyone who wants to buy vista will want to saye £50 and therefore a hell of a lot more boxes being sold.

Back
Top Bottom