The Official OcUK Vista Licencing Questions FAQ Thread

Soldato
pcknight said:
I very much doubt it mate. I can't see any retailer giving a refund on software that has been openend!

Yeah, but this is the catch-22 isnt it?

It does state quite clearly in the EULA that you canrequest a refund if you dont want to use it.

You cannot read that EULA without opening the package, sosurely at that point, you are fully entitled to abort the install and get your money back.
Im also sure that MS will provide the refund or at the very least they can request the supplier of the software to refund you???

Maybe supply a printed EULA as well as on the disk, but then the price would shoot up wouldnt it?

It is different once you install and activate it however.

I would like to know about that stage as you may simply not like the way it works... I dont, even though it does thankfully have the Classic theme, it still too "holdy-handy" for my liking.

Associate
OzyOly said:
Yes but try saying that to OCUK. You would probably have to go through M$ for that refund.

Yes its possible I did get a refund from MS on NT4 ,i had to return the product and they said they would blank the product code after they refunded the money

Associate
Can I please ask (hopefully not asked before) - i'm thinking of getting the OEM Vista Ultimate and am aware that I can use it on the pc as long as I dont change the motherboard; can I however install on said machine as many times as wish and how is it activated? Is it done with an attached key that I type in on each install or is it done via telephone call each time?

I like many others like to do a fresh install of Windows every so often so would like to be able to install as many times as I wish and to be able to activate it easily.

Many thanks for answering peoples questions and am really honestly sorry if this has been asked before.

Cheers

Man of Honour
OP
malccy said:

It has been answered before, but since you're so polite, I'll answer it again.

You'll be pleased to know, that you can reinstall and reactivate as many times as you wish as long as you stay licenced. The first few times online activation will work with no issues but if you do it regularly you'll need to use phone activation, but this shouldn't be an issue either.

Burnsy

Last edited:
Caporegime
malccy said:
Can I please ask (hopefully not asked before) - i'm thinking of getting the OEM Vista Ultimate and am aware that I can use it on the pc as long as I dont change the motherboard; can I however install on said machine as many times as wish and how is it activated? Is it done with an attached key that I type in on each install or is it done via telephone call each time?

I like many others like to do a fresh install of Windows every so often so would like to be able to install as many times as I wish and to be able to activate it easily.

Many thanks for answering peoples questions and am really honestly sorry if this has been asked before.

Cheers

Yes you can re-install as often as you like using the attached product key.

After about ten (i think, maybe wrong) installs you may be asked to phone microsoft for a new activation key, this is a very easy procedure and does not take more than about 5 - 10 mins, over a free phone call.

Edit ooopppsss must learn to type faster, - beaten to it again.:p

Soldato
as long as the OEM license is valid (ie, it's the same computer yadda yadda, you know all that) you should be able to format and reinstall as many times as you like. activation the first few times will probably involve a few mouse clicks and it'll do it automatically over the internet.

after that you'll need to phone up and your computer will give you a big long code, you'll type that into your phone (or tell a real person) and it'll tell you a code for you to put into your computer, you'll do that and bob's your uncle. Something like that anyway.

but yes, you are allowed to format and reinstall it as many times as you like. Not allowed to dual boot it with only one license though.

edit: and in third place....

Associate
Just to throw another one in here, does anyone know what the rules are regarding MS Action Pack copies of Vista? I'll hopefully be taking stock of some copies of Vista Business next week when MS send me the latest update package, but its NFD (Not For Distribution) software, not OEM or Retail. Does anyone know what the upgrade rules are for this?

If not, i guess i'll have to start trawling though the small print myself :p

Man of Honour
OP
Gopher_By_Fende said:
Just to throw another one in here, does anyone know what the rules are regarding MS Action Pack copies of Vista? I'll hopefully be taking stock of some copies of Vista Business next week when MS send me the latest update package, but its NFD (Not For Distribution) software, not OEM or Retail. Does anyone know what the upgrade rules are for this?

If not, i guess i'll have to start trawling though the small print myself :p

They come under the VLA licence and don't have hardware restrictions.

Burnsy

Associate
A 100% legitimate way of getting Retail Vista Ultimate a little cheaper?

Just had a thought, based on the current OC'ers prices...

Vista Ultimate - Retail £352.49

Vista Ultimate Upgrade - Retail £234.99

OK so the full retail is £117.50 more expensive than the upgrade edition. So why not buy the upgrade edition, and then say buy XP Home - OEM costing £58.74.

This means you are 100% legal, allowing to upgrade from XP to Vista, and saving you £58.76, is there a floor to my logic here?

Caporegime
zo1d said:
Just had a thought, based on the current OC'ers prices...

Vista Ultimate - Retail £352.49

Vista Ultimate Upgrade - Retail £234.99

OK so the full retail is £117.50 more expensive than the upgrade edition. So why not buy the upgrade edition, and then say buy XP Home - OEM costing £58.74.

This means you are 100% legal, allowing to upgrade from XP to Vista, and saving you £58.76, is there a floor to my logic here?

I believe that would mean that you would only have Vista Ultimate OEM as you have upgraded XP OEM.

Therefore all the limitations of Vista OEM with regard to upgrading components etc will apply.

If you had XP full retail to upgrade from you would end up with full retail Vista, I believe, anyway.

Man of Honour
OP
Entai said:
I believe that would mean that you would only have Vista Ultimate OEM as you have upgraded XP OEM.

Therefore all the limitations of Vista OEM with regard to upgrading components etc will apply.

If you had XP full retail to upgrade from you would end up with full retail Vista, I believe, anyway.

Sort of. If you replaced the mobo then you wouldn't be allowed to use the upgrade, but if you then bought another PC with XP OEM on it you could transfer the upgrade licence to that and then be legal.

Burnsy

Associate
At the moment i have a retail (Upgrade) version of Windows XP Home Edition, will i be able to do a fresh install on a brand new HDD with a retail (Updrade) version of Windows Vista using my (Upgrade) version of XP Home to qualify for the upgrade to Vista.

Also can XP Pro x64 be used to upgrade to Vista and later transfered to another machine as there was never a retail version available for XP Pro x64.

Thanks!

Soldato
Something I don't think a lot of people have considered yet is that you can upgrade your Vista version at any time. Simply by going to the Microsoft website, entering a few details and your credit card. It "unlocks" the new features - with no reinstall or anything resembling hassle required.

So considering Ultimate currently appears to have very little advantages over Home Premium - it's probably best that people buy HP and then maybe upgrade to Ultimate in the future if they need to.

Apparently Microsoft has some plans for Ultimate where you'll get access to special content/downloads/powertoys etc for the OS. But these are probably still months away.

Soldato
NathanE said:
Something I don't think a lot of people have considered yet is that you can upgrade your Vista version at any time. Simply by going to the Microsoft website, entering a few details and your credit card. It "unlocks" the new features - with no reinstall or anything resembling hassle required.

So considering Ultimate currently appears to have very little advantages over Home Premium - it's probably best that people buy HP and then maybe upgrade to Ultimate in the future if they need to.
Very good point and something i'd completey forgotten... Doh!!!

NathanE said:
Apparently Microsoft has some plans for Ultimate where you'll get access to special content/downloads/powertoys etc for the OS. But these are probably still months away.
Rumours about Ultimate Extras abound ;) Gasp!

Soldato
pcknight said:
As for the Tesco story, well, that is a different matter. Of course one should go back and tell them but when it comes to software that has been paid for, not cheap, then we should be able reactivate it again and again on the same PC, regardless if we have to change the Mobo etc.

I've agreed with your posts up to here but I don't agree with this. When you buy an OEM copy of Vista Microsoft give you a much discounted price (£352 down to £135!!) but in return you sacrifice a few "extras" (customer support, hardware upgrades) If you don't accept this "deal" than don't buy OEM. If Vista lasts as long as XP did (5 years) than £352 is not that bad of a deal. Without that piece of software your computer cannot function.

Man of Honour
OP
NathanE said:

Indeed, I have mentioned this before, it's called the Windows Anytime Upgrade Licence and will be able to be bought fromt he Windows Marketplace. The only reason why I havn't made a huge song and dance about it is because as far as I know the pricing hasn't been released yet, which will prove how popular it'll be.

Burnsy

Back
Top Bottom