Peltiers anyone use them ?

Caporegime
OP
OC_A64 said:
Depends on how well the CPU scales, what sort of voltage you need to get there, what sort of load the phase unit's capable of etc.
4ghz if not more should be ok stable under phase I'd guess (assuming the unit's capable of holding the CPU and decent sub-zero temps) you'll probably get more benchable.

3.6ghz needs 1.485v :D

So its got life still in it yet. :D

Associate
Hi, well im using a 320w peltier, and have been for the last six months. I was going to go the whole hog and seal my whole motherboard ready for -c figures!, and I put myself off, so the Peltier Sat in my closet unused. Anyway 1 day i was bored and decided to give it a go and see what happens, so i put it in without insulating my board, it was on a Opteron 175 Oc'ed @ 2.7ghz, load temps were about 58'c with my normal water system. when i put the peltier on it droped my load temps to 32c which was a massive drop, but my water system was finding it hard to get rid of the extra heat. if unOC'ed my cpu temps dropped to about-5c which was very worrying as i had no insulation, so i soon Oc'd the machine again!!! so know i have a second Rad that my water goes through externaly and temps of the resvoir have dramaticly dropped and stay about at 45c (resivoir temp!). i still use the peltier on my system now, aslong as u keep temps of your cpu around the same as ambient temps (or hotter) u will not form any condisation and will also not have to insulate your motherboard. i have wired up my peltier to a
female 4 pin molex, on the yellow 12v line, so in fact my peltier at this volts is running at 250W. and my system is as following:-

320w Peltier @ 12v = 250w
EVGA 680i
E6700
EVGA 8800GTX
Geil 2gb ddr2-800
4 SATA drives incl 3 x rapters
1 x SATA DVDRW
Crreative X-FI Fatlaity

and all this is powered off my Enermax 620w Liberty, cpu/memory/GPU has been changed a few times but remained roughly equl power consumption. PSU/peltier/Hdd's/soundcard have been the same for over 6 months.

my temps at the mo are 48c under load 26c idle, with my E6700 @ 1.575v @ 4gz, My normal water cooling runs idle at 52c at this cpu setting and im to affraid to find out how hot it gets under load, so theres nearly 30c difference from my stock water system to using this peltier! thats a big difference, and aslong as CPU is just above room temps i get no condisation.

As for the Amps and things that marci was going on about sure if you look at paper sheet facts this shouldn't work but the fact is it DOES!! and if i had listened to paper fact readers like himself i would have never tried this.

Some times 2 + 2 doesn't always equal 4?

Last edited:
Soldato
If anyone is in any doubt about the benefits of moving to Phase then have a look below. The best this 170 did on air was 2.7ghz at 1.526v. I use this setup 24/7 with no problems whatsoever, no condensation and the head just bolts straight to the mobo job done. And as mentioned allready, it takes 2 mins to mount or unmount.

DFI LANPARTY nF4 Ultra-D (04/06/06 BIOS)

AMD OPTY 170 (CCBWE 0551UPMW)

2x512MB G-Skill PC4800 ( PN – 1GBFF-DDR600-1T )

X1900 XT-X@689/797, CAT 6.6 DRIVERS

2X36GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000RPM SATA hdd RAID 0

LITEON 832S DVD R/W

HIPER 580 MODULAR PSU

Mach2 GT/Chilly1 head/Desuperheater

==========

Code:
[b]Genie BIOS Settings:[/b]
[color=red]
FSB Bus Frequency.............................  -  310
LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio.......................  -  2.5
CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio.......................  -  10
PCI eXpress Frequency.........................  -  105MHZ

CPU VID StartUp Value.........................  -  1.550v

CPU VID Control...............................  -  1.5
CPU VID Special Control.......................  -  110%
LDT Voltage Control...........................  -  1.40v 
Chip Set Voltage Control......................  -  1.70v
DRAM Voltage Control..........................  -  2.80v[/color]

[b]DRAM Configuration Settings:[/b]
[color=red]
DRAM Frequency Set............................  -  200=RAM/FSB:01/01
Command Per Clock (CPC).......................  -  Enable 
CAS Latency Control (Tcl).....................  -  2.5
RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd).....................  -  4
Min RAS# active time (Tras)...................  -  8
Row precharge time (Trp)......................  -  4
Row Cycle time (Trc)..........................  -  7 Bus Clocks
Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)...................  -  15 Bus Clocks
Row to Row delay (Trrd).......................  -  02 Bus Clocks
Write recovery time (Twr).....................  -  02 Bus Clocks
Write to Read delay (Twtr)....................  -  02 Bus Clocks
Read to Write delay (Trwt)....................  -  03 Bus Clocks
Refresh Period (Tref).........................  -  3072 Cycles
DRAM Bank Interleave..........................  -  Enabled

DQS Skew Control..............................  -  Auto
DQS Skew Value................................  -  0
DRAM Drive Strength...........................  -  7
DRAM Data Drive Strength......................  -  1
Max Async Latency.............................  -  9
DRAM Response Time............................  -  fast
Read Preamble Time............................  -  5
IdleCycle Limit...............................  -  256 Cycles
Dynamic Counter...............................  -  Disabled
R/W Queue Bypass..............................  -  16 x
Bypass Max....................................  -  07 x
32 Byte Granularity...........................  -  Disable(4 Bursts)
[/color]

==========

Prime95 + 3dMark2001SE:

3dMark2003:

3dMark2005:

3dMark 2006:

==========

short description:
310x10 @ 3100Mhz, Mach2 GT cooling

Soldato
with the unlocked multi on your QX you should be good for avoiding needing sky high fsbs for a high clock, my experience like I said on msn was that it was just too noisy for the gain.

Like having your fridge on constantly in the room, its not a noise you can easily ignore, plus the fact you need your fans up quite high on the compressor rad to stop it from burning out.

You know as well as I do that you can't guarantee 4.2+ or whatever with any chip, what I can tell you though is I am struggling to get past 3.8ghz with my 6700 with water, Tom had it benching at 4.7ghz on his chilly1.

In an ideal world I'd have a phase unit in the shed and my watercooled pc in the dining room as it is now. Phase for play (its wicked fun) but water for everyday use.

I suppose what I'm saying is actually, do it.. you sound like you're taking the same journey I did, into water, then more and more water, then the nagging thing about phase (and trust me, it won't go away until you've done it.. nothing is like seeing your cpu idling at -40) but like me (after 1 dead cpu, 2 dead motherboards and a half baked psu) you realise the noise, hassle changing components, noise, noise, temptation to run everything on the ragged edge so you wind up breaking stuff, noise, expense and noise you'll go back to water.

S'what I did..

Fun though, especially when me and Tom and a few others got our hands on top clocking X2 3800s and went record chasing at 3.3-3.6ghz :p

Soldato
Custom phase would be a lot better than buying an older Mach I / II unit. For a starter the head would be a lot easier to fit to the mobo and insulate around the socket area.

I dont know much about pelts but I know they need some cooling, they get mad hot. Some require seperate psu's.

I guess either way you go the electric bill is going to rise :p

Purely on overclocking value and wanting more from the hardware, phase is the way to go and its not that expensive as you think. They are very good custom phase builders out there that can really build you a unit exact to your needs, everyday performance, benching performance, built in temp probs, quieter compressors etc ect.

Plus, you can also fit the phase unit on the gpu if you would some fun. Pelt would mean need gpu block if you havnt got one.

It upto you, but I would wait and get a single phase ;) Its an investment, its going to go from cpu to cpu ;)

Soldato
DSC00454.jpg

I appreciate that probably isn't going to help :p

actually, I tell you what I found.. phase helped me find crazy max UNSTABLE clocks on my cpu.. for example I think I got to about 3.4ghz on my X2 3800 but I only ever got it stable at 3ghz.

Water never lets me achieve a semi stable clock 400mhz over my eventual stable clock, its always much closer.

Like Bennah said, there are plenty of custom builders around ;)

Soldato
Love the pic matt :D Top stuff... it has to be done sometime or another, phase on the cpu and water on the gpu(s). Really the PC-70 series was only built for that kind of job...

Soldato
matt100 said:
I suppose what I'm saying is actually, do it.. you sound like you're taking the same journey I did, into water, then more and more water, then the nagging thing about phase (and trust me, it won't go away until you've done it.. nothing is like seeing your cpu idling at -40) but like me (after 1 dead cpu, 2 dead motherboards and a half baked psu) you realise the noise, hassle changing components, noise, noise, temptation to run everything on the ragged edge so you wind up breaking stuff, noise, expense and noise you'll go back to water.

Or you can end up doing what im doing. Use air. Get bored of air. Think about water. Think about phase. End up getting Phase+Water rig. :D I think im jumping in at the deep end on with this one. Should be fun. And just because I can im going to post a pic of how shes looking;

pict00441.jpg
:)

Caporegime
OP
Yeah I'm a bit like that,

I tried SLI 7900 GTX and that was it my interest in sli was quashed. :p

I wanted to do water now I have done it the unkown factor has gone. :p

Guess I need to do phase just to get it out of my system.

Then there will be nowhere for me to go other than getting a 6300 and a 650i for £160 :p

I suppose once you have clocked the top end cpu's to extreme clocks the fun comes from clocking the low end stuff that costs a tenth of one component of your previous setup.

would adding another radiator to my loop lower the temps of my current setup matt100?

Soldato
Very nice messiah khan, got to love the single custom phaser in the V2000 :) GrayMole unit? He does exceptional units. If I was going down phase route, well if I had a rig to start off with :p I would get one of his units.

It should be a lot of fun for you matey, hope you enjoy it.

Easyrider, I guess everyone wants to try something or another. it doesnt get out of your system before you try it, they sometimes you think its a disappointment or not as you had expected.

Same with me and Dry Ice. Got a couple of tubes made from Sweden, got it all setup, all used them once and sold them :p Never really intrested me after that for some reason, same with phase, I got a Vapo Classic unit planned to put it on an old AXP-M cpu but never got round to it and sold the Vapo... Thats overclocking for you...

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
matt100 said:
DSC00454.jpg

I appreciate that probably isn't going to help :p

actually, I tell you what I found.. phase helped me find crazy max UNSTABLE clocks on my cpu.. for example I think I got to about 3.4ghz on my X2 3800 but I only ever got it stable at 3ghz.

Water never lets me achieve a semi stable clock 400mhz over my eventual stable clock, its always much closer.

Like Bennah said, there are plenty of custom builders around ;)

Good greif!

why did you go and post that! :p

Thats superb mate :eek:

Oh god I must resist,I must resist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldato
Bennah said:
Very nice messiah khan, got to love the single custom phaser in the V2000 :) GrayMole unit? He does exceptional units. If I was going down phase route, well if I had a rig to start off with :p I would get one of his units.

It should be a lot of fun for you matey, hope you enjoy it.

Yup, certainly is. It should be in my hand very soon if all goes well. Theres some nice details on this unit as well. Its got EL-wire running up the suction line, a clear enclosure with LEDs drilled in and a blend gas. Once I get it back, im stripping it all down, modding a few bits then sending all the insides off to the anodisers. Black is the order of the day.. lots of black! :D Then I have to put it all back together again and fit my water loop etc in.

Soldato
easyrider said:
would adding another radiator to my loop lower the temps of my current setup matt100?

maybe a little.. extra rads are part of the law of diminishing returns though.. maybe 1-2degrees but then add in a bunch of resitance.

Will it help you clock further?

Absolutely not.

Permabanned
Phase is good fun for a while. Something that just has to be done but i sold mine after probably 6 months or so. I had a standard Mach 2 GT which meant the head on it was a bit of a pain to use. One time i took it off to find my 3800x2 in a pool of water :eek: But that was through my lazyness not checking when i suspected a problem. As matt said it helps suicide runs a lot (see top spot in the 3800x2 clocking thread ;) ) more than it does 24/7 overclocks. But depending on the chip it can still help you get decent clocks and at lower volts than air. And more headroom in the voltage terms (Old A64 4000 took 1.81v once, damn thing wouldnt clock well!!)

Ive tried a 172w peltier on a gfx and it was pretty useless tbh. It cooled it down but made very little difference to overclocks. Kept it cool when vmodded tho :D

If you go for a phase unit, get a decent one. I will tell you now a standard Mach 2 ST will not handle the load well from a quad core. For quad i would say be looking at least having r404a but preferably r402a/r507.

Soldato
easyrider said:
Nice kitfit1

Can you post some pics of your setup? :)

Did you grease the mobo etc...

Pic

med_Picture%20004%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Not much to look at i'm afraid, but it does the business :D No the mobo isn't greased. I found that if you get a perfect seal, there is no condensation. Also i'm still using the origional Mach2 GT heater at the back of the mobo, rather than the Chilly1 back panel. So that takes care of the cpu socket.

Back
Top Bottom