Biceps

Soldato
Well i have put on 5lbs on in a month at the gym which i'm pleased about. One thing that is bugging me is my biceps. They are getting bigger, but not stronger. I can only achieve what I could at the beginning of Dec 06.

On dumbells, I do 10kg 2 x Sets of 10-20 Reps with 1 mins break in between.

I can do the first set, then fail at about 12-13th rep on the second set.

I there something I am doing wrong? Every two days i go to the gym and I work my arms everytime i go.

Associate
digitalwolf said:
I there something I am doing wrong? Every two days i go to the gym and I work my arms everytime i go.

Probably too much emphisis on your arms and they are overtrained.

Similair thing happend to me after the gym today, i had been doign a Push/pull/legs split for about 2 months now, after my pull day today, i noticed my left arm is significantly larger than the right - and the right seems to have lost a fair bit of size :confused: . Now im convinced this wasn't the case last night, or even this morning and as im right handed, my right arm was always slightly stronger.
I can't see how i can be overtrained by doing that 3 day split (on my pull day their isnt much emphisis on the bicep as the back)

I suggest taking a break for a week or 2, think thats what im going to try :( .

Soldato
Your arms will be trained with most things anyway, I only do concentration work on the arms maybe twice a fortnight. Things like bench press and rows give your arms a pretty hefty work out :)

Glad to see your getting results! :)

Associate
If you want to build strength, try lifting heavier weight but lower reps, say 12.5kg dumbells in 2 sets of 8 reps or so. No need to do upto 20 reps when your goal is to build strength, to do that you need less reps more weight!

Also try a variation of bicep specific exercises, do dumbell curls seated / standing, try hammer curls and maybe use the EZ bar at the end and try to push out as many reps as possible just to push them to failure. Train them like this once a week and with the right diet (sounds like you have that in check having made previous gains) you should see improvements in your strength in a few weeks time.

Caporegime
A2Z said:
Post your full routine.

this is a good point, which ties into the whole over training aspect that has already been mentioned.

the sets and reps and rest period you are doing for your arm, could well be over training.
also, you are going to maximum failure each time, you shouldnt max out each time you train. you should work up to your max over a period of weeks, then the next week do heavier than your current max. then start again.

Soldato
digitalwolf said:
On dumbells, I do 10kg 2 x Sets of 10-20 Reps with 1 mins break in between.

I can do the first set, then fail at about 12-13th rep on the second set.
In addition to what's already been said....

Is it 10 or 20 reps? that's just too big of roundup and there's a big difference between doing one or the other. The 10 rep range is great for hypertrophy but once you go over 12 you start heading towards a kind of aerobic workout, especially when hitting super high reps like 20. It's fine to go that high maybe once every so often to try and shock your system .ie. 20 rep squats but that's it.

You want to gain strength then perform in the low rep ranges like 2-6, building muscle (hypertrophy) 6-12.

Also dumbells aren't the best for building strength, barbells are better and chin-ups even better. Do something heavy like 5 sets of 5 reps on chin-ups ONCE a week and try to up the reps on the last set every week. Add this to dips for your triceps (which is the muscle that makes your arms look big btw, not your bicep) and you'll be giving your arms one of the best workouts for strength and growth :)
digitalwolf said:
So in answer to your question yes, you're doing pretty much everything wrong. You're training too often, with too many reps with too light a weight.

Post your routine up and I'm sure someone will be able to help you out :)

Soldato
OP
My Routine Day 1:-

Pec Deck:- Reps:6-10 Sets: 4-6 Weight 25kg Rest 2 Mins

Chest Press:- Reps: " Sets: " Weight 35kg Rest "

Tricep Dip:- Reps: " Sets " Weight 50kg Rest "

Incline Chest Press:- Reps " Sets " Weight 35kg Rest "

Day 2

Lat pulldown Reps:- 6-10 Sets:- 4-6 Weight :- 35kg 1mins rest

Upright Row Reps:-20 Sets:- 2 Weight :- 6kg 1 mins rest

Lower Back Reps:-20 Sets:-2/3 Weight :-50kg 15-30 secs rest

Concentration Curl Reps:- 10 Sets:-3 Weight :-8kg 1mins rest

Perfect Abs Bench Reps:-10/12 Sets:-3 Weight :-5 kg leg side

Abs Bench Reps:-20/10 Sets:-1/2 Weight :- 5kg 45secs rest

Leg Raises Reps:- 12 Sets:-3 45 secs rest

Day 1/2 Lat Raises 10 reps 4-6 Sets @ 6kg 1 mins rest
Bicep Curl 10-20 reps 2 sets @ 10kg 1 mins rest

I usually do all 5 sets by doing 6 reps,7 reps,8 reps,9 reps,10 reps then 6reps Last rep is hard to achieve.

Last edited:
Soldato
digitalwolf said:
I don't need to work my legs, they are built.

Mistake number one. Yes, you do need to work your legs. For your body to grow, it needs to grow in proportion. Legs MUST be trained. The testosterone release from a decent leg workout is extreme too, as it's such a large percentage of your body.

I remember reading a little while ago, that training legs properly can give you 10-15% of upper body growth.

Soldato
The one posted by GordyR in the begginers guide is good. Mines around the lines of:

Chest/Shoulders/triceps: BB Bench press (4x6), DB Incline bench (3x8-10),DB lat raises (3x8), BB rear delt row (3x8) DB shrugs (3x8) I mix shrugs with normal and BB haney.

Back/biceps: Deadlifts (4x6), bent over DB rows (3x8-10). Then I mix my bicep work between Hammer curls, barbell curls etc. Keeps the muscle guessing.

Legs/ abs: Squats (4x6), calf raises (3x8-10), Stiff legged deadlifts (3x6-8). Then 2 sets of hanging leg raises and 2 sets of crunches for 20 reps.

I'm trying to add in some bodyweight exercises at the end (press ups, pull ups, dips etc).

Back
Top Bottom