• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ (Socket 939) + Vista

Associate
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is a bit of a noob question, but have just upgraded the processor on my Socket 939 board to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ ready for when i receive my copy of Vista at the end of the month.

I am currently running Vista RC2 to check my system runs okay. All is well apart from it has installed the processor as "AMD Hammer Family Processor -Model Unknown". In task manager the CPU is not split into 2 as i believe it should be. I have looked for Vista drivers on AMD's website, and cannot find any. Has anybody else had this problem, or knows how to get the O/S to see the processor as dual core?

Sorry if the answer is obvious, but im stumped.

Cheers

Rob

Last edited:
Permabanned
rob5ta said:
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is a bit of a noob question, but have just upgraded the processor on my Socket 939 board to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ ready for when i receive my copy of Vista at the end of the month.

I am currently running Vista RC2 to check my system runs okay. All is well apart from it has installed the processor as "AMD Hammer Family Processor -Model Unknown". In task manager the CPU is not split into 2 as i believe it should be. I have looked for Vista drivers on AMD's website, and cannot find any. Has anybody else had this problem, or knows how to get the O/S to see the processor as dual core?

Sorry if the answer is obvious, but im stumped.

Cheers

Rob

i wouldnt worry too much, the official version will have what you need built in to run dual core.

Associate
OP
jaykay said:
you may need a bios update for your motherboard

Cheers for the heads up JayKay, the bios was indeed out of date. Have updated it, and the O/S is now displaying the dual core... Now why didnt i think of that :)

Many Thanks

Permabanned
rob5ta said:
Cheers for the heads up JayKay, the bios was indeed out of date. Have updated it, and the O/S is now displaying the dual core... Now why didnt i think of that :)

Many Thanks

unless of course your mobo wasnt updated... silly me :rolleyes: :)

Back
Top Bottom