Wii stock situation?

Associate
Just got back from my wife's sisters and they have a Wii and we spent loads of time playing the Sports pack (bowling, tennis, boxing etc) and now my wife really wants one.

Anyway ... I haven't really been following the Wii thing as I wasn't interested until now, are they still very hard to find? Or has the initial madness died down yet?

Hmm and also another question - are these things HD compatible? I guess so as it's next gen.

Aside from the Sports pack saw them running Zelda and Red Steel and the graphics on a standard CRT were awful - worse than the PS2. I'm hoping this is different on HD.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Stock is dribs and drabs still.

The wii is EDTV which is better than SDTV but not as good as HDTV.

The one you saw was probably connected via composite which is the worst connection available, component will bet the best (required for EDTV).

Associate
OP
Don't expect it to be the same level, but was just slightly concerned by the graphics quality of the games I saw this weekend.

From what I saw, the graphics quality on the Wii is worse than the PS2. I'm hoping this was down to the TV and they will in fact be nearer to 360 than PS2.

Associate
OP
So basically I can go into one of the high street places and put my name down and they'll call me when they have one?

Are they forcing people into buying packages like they tried when the 360 first came out?

Soldato
miracleboy said:
From what I saw, the graphics quality on the Wii is worse than the PS2. I'm hoping this was down to the TV and they will in fact be nearer to 360 than PS2.
Worse than PS2?!? Either they need to get their telly fixed or you might want to consider getting your eye sight tested ;)

Man of Honour
GarethDW said:
Worse than PS2?!? Either they need to get their telly fixed or you might want to consider getting your eye sight tested ;)
The GC stomped all over the PS2 graphically and Nintendo (who always underestimate these things) have stated the Wii is 1.5 times the power of the GC.

M0T

M0T

Soldato
Graphics are not the most amazing in the world, but remember Zelda was a gamecube title that has had a few tweaks.

To be fair I stopped noticing the graphics on zelda after an hour or so because it is a great game, and it doesn't feel last gen for some reason despite looking like it.

The game I played immediatly before Zelda was GOW.

And the true masterstroke is virtual console. So far Bomberman has been played almost as much as Zelda. It's a pity they didn't use the Snes bomberman, since that had a few cool additions over the one they did put up.

Soldato
HangTime said:
Similar situation here. Went round my gf's brothers house for drinks on xmas eve, had a go on their Wii, and she loved it.

After a few weeks looking around with no luck we decided to place a pre-order (£20) at Gamestation. Two weeks later and today we have one!

Graphically it is of course vastly inferior to my PC but then it's not really meant for serious gaming. I might look at getting a component lead as we have an HDTV.
I have ordered an official Ninty component cable (apparently the best) at a shade under £18 inc delivery. Not bad really.

Associate
OP
How are they able to market the cable as "HD" if it only supports resolutions up to 480p? That's not an HD resolution. :confused:

Quoted...

"Nintendo Wii HD Component Cable
High Resolution graphics
Ideal for standard or HD TV's
Stereo sound through left and right RCA cables
Supports screen resolution up to 480p
9.8' (3m)"

Back
Top Bottom