• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The AGP & PCI-E Graphics Card Buyers Guide***

Associate
Nice. This will be usefull.

Just a quick question though - theres no mention of the ati x1300 and x1600 series - which are available in AGP format as well as PCIE. Whereabouts would they fit into the scale...?

People tend to ask me how those compare to their current/old cards. Would be good if I got a clear picture of where they fit in. :D

Associate
OP
Thanks Fizzy

I haven't (yet) included the x1300 and x1600 as (a) they don't seem to be very fast, and (b) as such don't represent much value for money.

Saying that, there are a few reviews that reckon that the x1650 XT is a worthy competitor to the 7600 GT, and toms even thinks it would beat it. I'll look at including it, but assume it is just below the 7600 GT (different x1650 models will be much slower).

x1300 I would only recommend as a 2d card. The trouble is they are often marketed as 'gamers' cards (much like the nvidia fx5 series were) but are nothing of the sort. Marketing bordering on lying I'm afraid.

Soldato
melbourne720 said:
Crossfire

SLi for ATi cards (red). Same rules apply, but for ATi. N.B. Crossfire no longer needs an external dongle, it can be performed on most chipsets (known: P965) with a BIOS update.

Are you sure ?
I was under the impression only some dual PCI-E Intel and obviously ATI chipsets, I dont think you can run crossfire on an SLI board which the post may imply ....

Associate
melbourne720 said:
Thanks Fizzy

I haven't (yet) included the x1300 and x1600 as (a) they don't seem to be very fast, and (b) as such don't represent much value for money.

Saying that, there are a few reviews that reckon that the x1650 XT is a worthy competitor to the 7600 GT, and toms even thinks it would beat it. I'll look at including it, but assume it is just below the 7600 GT (different x1650 models will be much slower).

I have also read that the X1650 XT is a good card compared to the rest of the X1600 range, but seems hard to get. A friend bought one in pcie form and is very impressed with it. I guess I should recommend the 7600GT over the ati cards then, with perhaps the exception of the XT if an ATI card is really wanted.

melbourne720 said:
x1300 I would only recommend as a 2d card. The trouble is they are often marketed as 'gamers' cards (much like the nvidia fx5 series were) but are nothing of the sort. Marketing bordering on lying I'm afraid.

Thought that was the case - a bit like the "turbo cache" nvidia low end cards really? ;)

Thanks again for the info, and the chart - much appreciated. :D

Associate
OP
Thanks Ronaldo

I would add those cards, but this list is intended as a buyers guide for the current range of cards. Whilst the 7950 GT, GTX, GX2 are all tremendous cards, would anyone splash that sort of money on a dx9 card now? Only if they got a really good deal, and although that does happen, it shouldn't be used to base advice on it.

Lets be honest, there are better all-encompassing lists out there, but this list is supposed to be for recommending the card you should spend your money on.

Thanks again for your interest :D

Associate
OP
Removed the recommendation for the x1950XT - the x1950 Pro is now the only recommended PCI-E card from ATi! :eek:

The 8800 GTS 320MB now occupies the price performance sweet spot for the 1280 x 1024 (17" and 19" screen) gamer.

Price drops expected in the PCI-E field as the 8800 GTS 320MB takes sales away from the cards below it.

Soldato
Nice work :)

The only things I might have liked to have seen in the list that arent there is the actual (stock) gpu clock speeds and memory speeds for each card, and the ammount (and possibly type) of memory they all have :)

Excellent work though aslong as it stays very updated :D

Associate
OP
Guru said:
Nice work :)

The only things I might have liked to have seen in the list that aren't there is the actual (stock) gpu clock speeds and memory speeds for each card, and the amount (and possibly type) of memory they all have :)

Good suggestion - I'll start pulling that together.

Guru said:
Excellent work though as long as it stays very updated :D

Tell me about it :D

Associate
OP
Guru said:
This not a sticky yet?

Maybe one day... :D

Updated the prices, and the new lower price of the 7300 GT GDDR3 has pushed the 7600 GS off the 'best buy' PCI-E list. ATi cards (notable the PCI-E and AGP versions of the x1950 Pro) seem to be creaping up in price for no apparent reason :D

Disagree? Let me know...

Back
Top Bottom