• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo is getting an R600!!

Soldato
megatron said:
If someone needs a reason to get an R600 even though it might not raise the performance bar much, here it is (pay attention to the question posted on the 2nd page by me :)):
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=38464

Brilliant :D:D
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Caporegime
Hamoodii said:
loadsamoney what happened to your GTSs, thought you adored that card?

When i first got it yes, but now ive had it a while ive got to know how crap the drivers are, its such a shame as the cards are amazing, they are just going to waste as they wont support them driver-wise. :(

5+ months down the line and still not seeing what the 8 series can truly do, absolute shame that, feel sorry for everyone whos bought one.

If any one can translate this , R600 is delayed yet again, its now 14th May, you couldnt make it up, im crying here, oh man this is great. :D :D

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

An update!

The card should be arriving here this Thursday unless ATI delay things....

Upto now I've built the system and am using a BFG 8800 GTX OC. At the moment its scoring:-
3D Mark 2005 - 17,250 (Windows XP)
3D Mark 2006 - 11,950 (Windows XP)

Does that seem about right?

Now I have Fear and Farcry.

Regarding Fear its patched to v1.08 but how do I benchmark it? Is there a command line like there used to be in the old Quake games to do a timedemo or something I can download to make the game run a well known demo?

On Farcry I have a benchmark add-on which I believe makes the game run through a level measuring the FPS, will know once I have tried it.

Soldato
In the FEAR menu: Options/Performance/Test Settings, that runs a benchie.
is that the GTX OC @ 600/1800 or the OC2 @ 630/2000 ?
I assume thats a C2D System ?

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Vogon said:
In the FEAR menu: Options/Performance/Test Settings, that runs a benchie.
is that the GTX OC @ 600/1800 or the OC2 @ 630/2000 ?
I assume thats a C2D System ?

Its the slower clocked BFG card, I think its unfair as it is to put an overclocked 8800 against the R600 but we don't have any reference GTX cards to test against. Guess the R600 is just gonna have to be a good card as most 8800's come overclocked now anyway.

The system is a Quad core at 3GHz. :)

Soldato
I dont know what the quad will do for 3dm, but my C2D @ 3.5 with a GTX @ stock used to give me just over 11k, and @ 625/2000 on the GTX 11,800 ish
Stock C2D, (E6600 @ 2.4) and stock GTX gave 9800~9900.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

OK got the Fear benchmark running.

NVIDIA drivers set too Quality and let 3D application decide.

In game setting are 4x FSAA and 16x Anistrophic with everything else on maximum. Is that the highest it can go?

1280x1024x32 = 53/108/279fps (Windows XP)
1920x1200x32 = 34/67/158fps (Windows XP)

How does that seem guys?

Soldato
neo202020 said:
I don't disagree with any of that but you're forgetting that support isn't the only thing people care about when buying hardware.

Personally, I welcome proper competition from ATI because it helps to keep Nvidia on their toes, which is better for consumers than a monopoly. That said, I don't think this "lack of working Vista drivers" will stay that way for long; I'm waiting for C2D price drops and these cards to push prices on other cards down so I can buy a DX10 system which will run Crysis and other next generation games on top settings. If ATI bring out some good £200-250 cards as part of their mid-range lot that outperform the 8800GTS then I'll buy that. If they don't, I'm not going to spend £400 buying a card that's 15% faster than a GTS just because at this moment in time they have better drivers.

A couple of things there; Nvidia have had months to get Vista drivers ready, yet there are still large flaws across the board. Also, the Crysis developers have stated that you will not be able to play Crysis on max with current hardware, so unless it comes out a lot more optimised than even they had considered, its VERY unlikely you will be able to run Crysis on top settings, as consumer hardware wont be there yet.
Also, drivers are a VERY important part of how hardware performs, previous hardware releases have been known to recieve large performance boosts over thier lifespan due to driver improvements. Without decent drivers, you're not going to be able to use the card well due to glitches, bugs, errors or lack of performance, regardless of the power of the card in question, so paying no attention to the drivers is incredibly foolhardy. If the R600 card comes out, well supported, and costs a little more, then I'd stump up the extra, because simply put, I wouldnt be prepared to sit around experiencing issues after issues down to poor driver support for month on end, like some of the current 8800 owners have, and regardless of the power of a card, poor drivers can completely ruin the experience, because they're the very code which determine how the system interacts with the graphics card!

If they've fixed the driver issues by then, all well and good, but if they haven't consider whether you want to pay a little less to be hit by bugs and glitches in your games, and ofc, dont get too optimistic about playing Crysis on full, because from what we've heard, its rather unlikely with current tech.
To your initial point above, I'd counter support may not be all people care about, but its a damned sight more important than they give them credit for almost as much as the relative card power, and in general, a lot of those same consumers will buy Qtec because its cheaper and has a bigger number on the side ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Alexrose1uk said:
A couple of things there; Nvidia have had months to get Vista drivers ready, yet there are still large flaws across the board. Also, the Crysis developers have stated that you will not be able to play Crysis on max with current hardware, so unless it comes out a lot more optimised than even they had considered, its VERY unlikely you will be able to run Crysis on top settings, as consumer hardware wont be there yet.
Also, drivers are a VERY important part of how hardware performs, previous hardware releases have been known to recieve large performance boosts over thier lifespan due to driver improvements.

Again, I don't disagree with a great deal of what you say, however, ATI has had driver issues with recent cards as well so there's no guarantee it won't happen again. I read somewhere that ATI's Vista drivers for the R600 are nowhere near ready. I play games at 1280X1024 so I think Crysis should run pretty well on a 8800GTS. Yes, drivers are important but drivers can be fixed/updated. We can be fairly certain that by the time DX10 games come out there will be decent drivers for the 8800 series and the point I was really making is that if the top R600 cards outpeform the 8800 by 15% but cost twice as much drivers ain't gonna sell that to the vast majority of people.

Soldato
Gibbo said:
Hi there

In game setting are 4x FSAA and 16x Anistrophic with everything else on maximum. Is that the highest it can go?

How does that seem guys?

I would say thats looking about right to me.

Soldato
Gibbo said:
Hi there

How does that seem guys?
:eek: that very low for a C2D at 3gz

Am getting 38/67/157 at 1920x1200 4xAA 16xAF all setting at max with a AMD 4400 cpu (2400mhz) and my 8800gtx at stock speeds of 576/900

Last edited:
Soldato
Soft shadows on Chapperel ?
Just going by memory for one GTX, the only screen cap I have for the GTX was with SLi, and that was 60/109/208 @1920 4aa 16af everything maxed.

Soldato
Vogon said:
Soft shadows on Chapperel ?
Just going by memory for one GTX, the only screen cap I have for the GTX was with SLi, and that was 60/109/208 @1920 4aa 16af everything maxed.
Yes this is with soft shadows on...

If i remember right...The avg with my last x19ooxt-x was about 50fps...

AMD 4400 (at 2400mhz) 8800gtx (576/900) 1920x1200 4xAA 16xAF all setting at max
feartest.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom