• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E6320 & E6420... :D

Associate
supernova9 said:
After a bit of googling, I found THIS REVIEW which looks at the new processors - 6320,6420 and 4400. It's a pretty decent read, and the link goes directly to page 11 of the articles - the overclocking review. It is only 1 of each model, but their tests show you can get the 6320 and 4400 to pretty much the same clock speeds - only real difference being the L2 Cache.

I posted that review in the other 6420 thread a while back...the E6x20's look like we're in for a treat. The E6420 clock was using 1.6V though! Intel might be releasing them deliberatly with the opportunity for huge clocks (anyone remeber this with the old mobile bartons being released?). Just as everyone has settled down with their nice 3.2 clocks with their conroes, a new cheap chip has been released that can do 3.6 with ease, maybe even 3.8. Everyone is then gonna rush out and get the new chips! Great marketting if that is the case.

Soldato
cobxx said:
Just as everyone has settled down with their nice 3.2 clocks with their conroes, a new cheap chip has been released that can do 3.6 with ease, maybe even 3.8. Everyone is then gonna rush out and get the new chips! Great marketting if that is the case.

Yeah, thats come to my mind too!

Im holding off a tad cos I have only just splashed out on a 6600 and its not even in a system yet, and then I go and see these heathen chips are for sale!!!

What I want to know though, is that when I got my E6300 ( My first C2D ) I was under the impression that it was a conroe right....

They tell me its an allendale because its got 2MB Cache.

Now, I hear all things like the Conroes with 2MB and the Allendales with 4MB... WTF???

What is the difference then, between them?

Its no longer the cache.

What makes an allendale and allendale and a conroe a conroe?

Soldato
OP
Ok I'll keep this simple :-

All Core 2 Duo's are created equal apart from the amount of L2 cache. So anything with 4MB in a Conroe and anything with 2MB is an Allendale.

Therefore the new chips are full Conroe CPU's

Simple enough for ya?

Associate
FatRakoon said:
Yeah, thats come to my mind too!

Im holding off a tad cos I have only just splashed out on a 6600 and its not even in a system yet, and then I go and see these heathen chips are for sale!!!

What I want to know though, is that when I got my E6300 ( My first C2D ) I was under the impression that it was a conroe right....

They tell me its an allendale because its got 2MB Cache.

Now, I hear all things like the Conroes with 2MB and the Allendales with 4MB... WTF???

What is the difference then, between them?

Its no longer the cache.

What makes an allendale and allendale and a conroe a conroe?

The difference is the Cache size and VT (Virtualization Technology). Conroe's have VT, Allendale's don't.

For example, the 4300s are Allendales, as they lack VT support. The 6300s are Conroes with 1/2 the Cache locked out.

My question to you all - should I buy a 4300 for £100 or a 6320 for £115? From Tom's hardware and other sites, the extra 2MB cache provides maybe 3.5% tops. Worth it?

Soldato
Well, No, its not.

Its no longer got anythign at all to do with cache size.

If thats the case, then what of the 4MB Allendales then?

Proving you... And everything I thought... To be a lie. :confused: :confused:

VT support?

WTF does VT support actually do?

Soldato
Journey said:

All Core 2 Duo's are created equal apart from the amount of L2 cache. So anything with 4MB in a Conroe and anything with 2MB is an Allendale.

Simple enough for ya?
You couldn't be more wrong :)

Associate
FatRakoon said:
Well, No, its not.

Its no longer got anythign at all to do with cache size.

If thats the case, then what of the 4MB Allendales then?

Proving you... And everything I thought... To be a lie. :confused: :confused:

VT support?

Not a clue, but that's the difference (as best I know!) :D Actually, try this

Edit: NathanE - very constructive. If he's obviously wrong, why not point out how, instead of smirking in your little internet superiority station? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
FatRakoon said:
VT support?

Virtual machines... VMware, Virtual PC etc. It optimises how these virtual machines run and performance is greatly improved. In fact I was playing with Virtual PC 2007 the other week and it was just like using the host OS. It really was very fast. Without VT everything has a slight "lag" in a VM.

Soldato
supernova9 said:
Not a clue, but that's the difference (as best I know!) :D Actually, try this

Edit: NathanE - very constructive. If he's obviously wrong, why not point out how, instead of smirking in your little internet superiority station? :)
Bit OTT? It's just tiresome because time and again people are having to explain the whole Conroe/Allendale fiasco. You'd think after almost a year people would have caught on by now ;)

Allendale are the E4xxx series. Also the 2MB E6300 and E6400 will be Allendale's in the future but it's up to Intel when that exactly happens. Basically all Allendale cores are fabricated from the get-go to be 2MB cache (and possibly have other impairments). In the past, 2MB cache Core 2 Duo's were still fabricated as Conroe's but simply had their cache downsized (maybe because some part of the cache turned out faulty but usually just because of market demands).

In short, the difference between Allendale and Conroe is simply the way they are fabricated.

Permabanned
ALL E6XXX chips are Conroes, ALL of them. The codename Allendale was misused for the lower ones with only 2mb cache, but these ARE STILL CONROES, if you don't believe me, email Intel and ask.

The E4XXX chips are the true Allendales.

Soldato
supernova9 said:
Not a clue, but that's the difference (as best I know!) :D

Spanking answer!!! :D

Ok, its apparently got somethign to help out with Virtual Machines ( Oh right, that makes all the difference to 99.9% of the population )

Have a look here at just how much this means to you ... i.e. not a jot.

http://www.intel.com/technology/virtualization/index.htm

Seriously though, I think we are starting to enter into a phaze where people know A from B and others know C from D and what we are about to find out, is that we are all going to be wrong.

In laymans terms, or As far as the every-day joe is concerned... What is the difference in real world terms?

I mean, I got a 6300 and just recently a 6600 and the 6600 I plan on keeping at stock.

The thing is here, that at stock, the 6600 is a complete fart compared to the 6300. ( only been playing for a couple of hours though, and those have been while watching ManU v Roma ( No results just incase ))

--

In the real world, I seriously dont think it makes the slightest bit of difference what CPU we decide to go on?

I got a 6300 and I got a 6600

In the next couple of weeks, I am upgrading the kids PCs too! - I got a bundle of cheapie 478 Dual Core Mobos and I will be buying a 6320 to have a play with and if it makes me a happy man in the nasty mobos then I will get a couple more and sort the kids out, otherwise they will stay with their AMDs

Soldato
OP
So back to what I said. The only thing I missed out to keep things simple was the lack of VT.

Conroe = 4MB L2 Cache inc VT
Allendale = 2MB L2 Cache no VT

Otherwise they are the SAME!

So why the hell did I bother to keep it simple if people want to over complicate things for those that cannot undersand the difference already.

Associate
NathanE: Sorry if I was OTT, not my intention :) I didn't realise it was in the fabrication process. Thanks for the info.

Anyway, back on topic......opinions on 6320 vs 4300? :)

Soldato
Journey said:
So back to what I said. The only thing I missed out to keep things simple was the lack of VT.

So why the hell did I bother to keep it simple if people want to over complicate things for those that cannot undersand the difference already.

No, the question is, that you yourself say the Allendale =2MB

But what about the 4MB allendales then?

:D

Soldato
OP
FatRakoon said:
No, the question is, that you yourself say the Allendale =2MB

But what about the 4MB allendales then?

:D

You missed my point entirley. The biggest difference is the cache and that is what most people associate the difference of say a 6300 to a 6600 other than clock speed, most people will never use VT and thus I did not feel the need to mention it.

So if you ignore VT, as most people will.. then you have a conroe chip.

You are getting over involved in something you could keep very simple, do you want 4MB or 2MB L2 cache do you really give a dog's droppings if it has VT?

Why do people always feel the need to make things more difficult than they are :(

maGz said:
is it worth the extra tenner to buy an e6420 over an e6400?

And, it's not an extra tenner, prices I have are lower than the 6400's by about £3.

Caporegime
Well I hope they just dont need lots of vcore to clock like the 4300's

As the 4mb cache is no biggy and would rather have my 6400 @3.8ghz than a 6420 @3.2ghz any day of the week.

Soldato
Journey said:

Simple enough for ya?
e6300 and e6400 are Conroe-2MB

Journey said:

Conroe = 2MB L2 Cache inc VT

The e6320 and e6420 both look interesting but if there not Conroe cores I don't think they will clock as well as the classic e6300/e6400. Look forward to some peoples results!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom