• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 8600 GTS arrived at OcUK Today!!

OcUK Staff
OP
dgmug said:
just wanted to see some proper game benchmarks cause all i seen is fake ones or highly dubious ones.Quite suprised these cards are gunna be turkeys as 66oogts / 7600gts have been awesome value for money and was hoping for this to be the same :(

Hi there

Well maybe, we never know lets wait until some proper reviews come out I guess, but 128-bit interface is certainly crippling.

I forsee this card will sell extremely well due to the marketing hype behind it regarding DX10, so expect to see lots selling in PC world and them been built into systems claiming DX10 ready etc.

OcUK Staff
OP
Dyson said:
Does this mean that the gtx refresh is close? Been reading things everywhere about 8800 Ultra / 8900 gtx...

Hi there

BOTH NV and ATI have uber duber cards in the pipeline which may or may not get released in the near future.

Associate
Gibbo said:
Hi there

Well maybe, we never know lets wait until some proper reviews come out I guess, but 128-bit interface is certainly crippling.

I forsee this card will sell extremely well due to the marketing hype behind it regarding DX10, so expect to see lots selling in PC world and them been built into systems claiming DX10 ready etc.

For once, that is true, these cards and the upcoming 8300 series cards are targeted at a market(mainstream) like dell/pcworld etc where everyone just goes in and get a system for vista.

Soldato
Gibbo said:
Hi there

Yes in the past the budget performance cards have still managed to crawl ahead slightly of the previous mid-high end cards...for example the 7600GT is better than a 6800GS, but certainly not by a large amount

...but now cards are getting quite powerful and I don't think its possible any longer with a 128bit memory bus.

Soldato
Gibbo said:
Hi there

BOTH NV and ATI have uber duber cards in the pipeline which may or may not get released in the near future.

Just my luck. Ready to build new comp, all bits in spare room, apart from gpu. May as wait a few weeks then, rather than spend £400+ on something thats out of date in a week :(

Soldato
sunlitsix said:
recon i could sell my SLI'd 7600GT's for £146? :p

i wouldnt mind messing about with one though since seeing how far these can overclock too :cool:

is there any point in downgrading? :D

(as dual 76gt's are coming close to 79gtx performance... )

Caporegime
Dyson said:
Just my luck. Ready to build new comp, all bits in spare room, apart from gpu. May as wait a few weeks then, rather than spend £400+ on something thats out of date in a week :(

Buty the cheapest 8800GTS you can find on the interweb and you'll barely lose anythin gwhen you sell it in 2 months. They're already cheap as it is.

Associate
Hehe, glad I didn't wait to see the pricing of these and went ahead and got a X1900XT of the echo.

Looking at the specs on OCUK, that card looks awesome. Think a big "DON'T BUY" label has to be put on the picture though! I can see these selling quite well though... as someone said, remember the FX5200. They still sold, just cause they were DX9, even though everyone should have got a ti 4200 for the same kind of money! We don't need DX10 cards yet, but they will still sell.

Oh, and easy, I appreciate what you're saying about the ocing, but I'm pretty sure they still won't be that amazing even after the ocing.Oh, and heres the cooler they used:

22.jpg

Looks like a pretty beefy cooler. Mind you, 34C at idle is quite impressive after the volt mod! I'm sure you could take it at least to 1.4V with the stock cooler, and get a pretty healthy oc out of it.

The problem is though, the 128 bus is still gonna cripple it, no matter how fast you can get the card.Can't see it having much of lifespan for games either. Come on nvidia, release a 256-bit version, and everyone will be a lot happier, I'm sure! (unless maybe the G84 was such a bad design, they are just trying to cover up their mistakes by making everyone think the poor performance is due to the 128-bit bus!)

Caporegime
cobxx said:
Oh, and easy, I appreciate what you're saying about the ocing, but I'm pretty sure they still won't be that amazing even after the ocing.Oh, and heres the cooler they used:

22.jpg

Tsk Tsk thats clearly a regular home system any average joe has. :p

Back
Top Bottom