• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Price Cuts : Quad core for £350 ?

Soldato
Are these quads really worth it? Or only worth it for rendering? All I'm doing on my computer is gaming and general use, no editing or rendering. So does this make a quad core purchase a waste of money considering I have a pretty new E6600?

Soldato
For gaming am I correct in thinking dual core (or even quad core), is only used in games which are specifically made to use multiple cores. Ive only seen a handful of games specifically saying dual core let alone quad core. Ive seen reviews saying things like "u can encode and play games at the same time", doesnt really stike me as being particularly useful.

If Im playing a single player game I might have a P2P app in the background but u dont need a whole other core to do that. Ill be getting a core2 soon, still on opteron [email protected].

Soldato
Big.Wayne said:
I don't think so! :D

£350, for a CPU? are you out of your mind!!!!! :eek:

I'll wait til they drop in price a bunch and can get one used.

I just made the C2D jump from AMD x2 and now my next upgrade will be the GPU....R600 depending on pricing....or maybe 8800GTX

Associate
megatron said:
For gaming am I correct in thinking dual core (or even quad core), is only used in games which are specifically made to use multiple cores. Ive only seen a handful of games specifically saying dual core let alone quad core. Ive seen reviews saying things like "u can encode and play games at the same time", doesnt really stike me as being particularly useful.

If Im playing a single player game I might have a P2P app in the background but u dont need a whole other core to do that. Ill be getting a core2 soon, still on opteron [email protected].

There are very few games that benefit from multiple core processors. Supreme commander is the only one I can think of that sees big benefits from dual and quad cores. Most games see much smaller gains, but that will change over time. Alan Wake and the Source engine are supposedly going to see big gains from multiple cores. Not sure when they're out though, later this year I think.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
megatron said:

so true! im also still on opty [email protected] and its fine for me, it really depends on what you use your PC for and if you NEED to upgrade to a more expensive CPU.

Caporegime
A2Z said:
so true! im also still on opty [email protected] and its fine for me, it really depends on what you use your PC for and if you NEED to upgrade to a more expensive CPU.

I use my laptop 75% of the time or surfing email etc...

its a P4M 2ghz

However I video edit on my main PC and a quad core really is something special

Soldato
Think i'm going to go sell my 6600 and go for this, although i wonder how the temps will be when overclocked and now we are coming into the warmer weather.

Caporegime
khemist said:
Think i'm going to go sell my 6600 and go for this, although i wonder how the temps will be when overclocked and now we are coming into the warmer weather.

My QX6700 reached 70c under water when clocked to 3.6ghz :eek:

They do pump out some heat

Soldato
Indeed but when you think about it, that's not 1 core, not 2 and not 3 but 4 cores at 3.6 (+vcorex4). That's an impressive amount of power in both heat and computational speed.

Back
Top Bottom