Another Dell 2407WFP vs BenQ241WZ thread :o)

Soldato
colour banding - I think I noticed it very slightly in the sky in one game on the 360 via VGA - but it was very minor.

Contrast via DVI - no you can't - but haven't found it an issue at all - don't worry about it

Text fuzziness - NOT at all - text is the sharpest I've seen on any display

don't know how it compares to the Benq.

VGA via the 360 is far better than I was expected - unlike on my Panasonic Plasma - through VGA on the 2407 the picture is very vivid :) The only annoyance is you have to reduce sharpness to remove some "horizontal lines" - and when you change display input this setting resets itself :( - but I just leave it as it is now.

Anyway anyone knows how to "blank off inputs" - ie so if you're using DVI and VGA - you don't have to scroll through all the flippin inputs to get back to VGA again ?

thanks, Mark.

ATI said:
thanks for that

i,m a bit confused, i have read couple of posts and i,m worried about:

- colour banding
- contrast isnt available via dvi
- text fuzziness

and confused about it not able to play 1080p:

from tftcentral, but some posts say it does?

how does it compare to benq 241w in terms of IQ?

thanks

ATI

ATI

Associate
hey baddass

how are you mate?

my benq is driving me nuts, there is another issue now in which it randomly doesnt come onlike there is no power at all, i think i emailed you about it.

so i was just wandering about the dell because i can send this back and get £200 i think.

how does the IQ compare to it and what would you say about the difference between the two?

you know me just gaming and office work, mainly word and programming.

thanks

p.s happy easter

ATI

ATI

Associate
thanks for that buckster

the benq i have is annoying me and thats the 3rd one i got and had enough tbh, i wish nec would bring a 24 in the gx2 range.

Man of Honour
ATI said:
hey baddass

how are you mate?

my benq is driving me nuts, there is another issue now in which it randomly doesnt come onlike there is no power at all, i think i emailed you about it.

so i was just wandering about the dell because i can send this back and get £200 i think.

how does the IQ compare to it and what would you say about the difference between the two?

you know me just gaming and office work, mainly word and programming.

thanks

p.s happy easter

hi mate, yeah got that email, sorry for delayed reply! I'd say IQ is going to be very comparable between the two models, and the Dell is certainly a lovely screen. If you continue to have issues with the BenQ then it might well be worth considering the swap, esp if you can also save £200 :)

ATI

ATI

Associate
how would you rate the two in terms of IQ?

and does the £200 justify it and you on msn as well, got a couple of things i wanna show you mate?

Associate
Hey Badass,

Can you please comment on the minor sync problems you can notice when watching videos on the dell? It looks like ghosting but it is not ghosting. Also is it normal for this panels to have some sort of purplelish dots if you look closely on white backgrounds, and if you keep focusing on white for some seconds very closely it looks like it flickers? (This is extreme I know, and not a problema t all, just wondering.)

Associate
I think saying, flicker is too much. Is just you can notice the screen "refreshing" somehow. But you need to be 10 cm away and the background plain white and large area. Like when you maximise a window and fills up with white. I bet is an eye illusion!

Btw what settings you using? Maybe there is some better setting where you dont get it?

ps: Is there a chance to get different panel on these? What panel?

Associate
I returned my BenQ FP241W a few weeks ago because of the signal loss issue. This seems to have been resolved now for anyone still having problems (maybe you, ATI?):

Hardforum said:
I have a new FP241WZ. I too had problems with it flipping to black for a bit then coming back.

I found that my nvidia drivers were not sending positive sync pulses for both horizontal and vertical. I fixed the sync polarities in the advanced timings dialog, no trouble since.

Why nvidia did not do this in the first place is a mystery to me. The DDC info indicated positive syncs and the display driver also specifies positive syncs.
The BenQ still has some other minor faults. The 1:1 pixel mapping isn't functioning properly for some of the inputs and it doesn't support 1080p from the 360 over VGA.

I thought about getting a FP241WZ but instead ordered a Dell 2407 on Thursday (£407 :eek: ) so will use this for PC and X360 @ 1080p 1:1 over VGA. I'll post my opinion on the differences between the two screens when it arrives.

Last edited:

ATI

ATI

Associate
hi richl

i dont think its the signal loss issue, the whole monitor just doesnt turn on sometime when i powerup the pc, its really strange and i,m bit fed up with it tbh as this is my 3rd one.

please let us know when you get it and your opionion?

ATI

ATI

Associate
heeloo all

anyone know how to enable the 1:1 in the dell, its grayed out for some reason.

its a04 rev

thanks

Associate
OK so I have my Dell 2407 A04 now and have tried it on pc and 360. Comparing it to the BenQ FP241W (albeit not side by side) there is no noticeable difference in image quality using the pc over dvi or vga. The backlight is very even on both screens (possibly a little better on the BenQ) and neither had dead pixels.

The Dell casing definitely looks better than the BenQ and I think the build quality feels better (more solid and doesn't look so plastic).

For 360, I used the BenQ @ 720p over component and it looked very good: clear picture and vivid colours, no tearing etc. Haven't tried component on the Dell (meant to be poor). The BenQ doesn't work with the 360 @ 1080p over vga due to the screen not detecting the resolution properly, it tries to display the signal as 1680x1050 but the image looks all wrong. The Dell however looks great @ 1080p over vga. I did have some tearing in certain games (Gears of War, Splinter Cell 4) but I noticed this only occurs if the tft is turned on before the 360. Strangely no tearing if you turn the 360 on first!

The pixel mapping options work properly on the Dell while the 1:1 pixel mapping is faulty on the BenQ. To be honest I prefer the Dell over the BenQ and it was over £200 cheaper when I ordered so very pleased. A04 seems perfect for pc + 360 use. Overall there is very little difference between the screens, the only significant advantage of the BenQ is the HDMI port but I wasn't intending on using this atm anyway.

Last edited:

ATI

ATI

Associate
nice one richl

i got both, and the benq is going back ive had all sort of issues and the £200 difference defintly swayed towrds the dell.

in terms of IQ like baddass told me no real difference in the real world performance.

still cant get my 1:1 to work on the dell, can some one help with this pls?

is grayed out still.

Soldato
Thanks Rich, reassured me I spent my money well. :)

ATI, have you tried playing a game and setting the res to a 4:3 one then seeing if 1:1 is an option?
Worked for me. I've got BF2142 running in 1600x1200 as 1920x1200 isn't natively supported and it gives more fps

Associate
ATI said:
nice one richl

i got both, and the benq is going back ive had all sort of issues and the £200 difference defintly swayed towrds the dell.

in terms of IQ like baddass told me no real difference in the real world performance.

still cant get my 1:1 to work on the dell, can some one help with this pls?

is grayed out still.

The 1:1 will not be grey when you have a resolution other than native. For example, when you boot your PC, before it loads windows. Try there and you will see that it wont stretch the POST msg. Is cool :D

Associate
I've got a quick question I hope someone can answer for me.

I recently purchased an FP241W (great looking monitor), but I can not get the DVI-D input to work. I am using a 8800 gts 640 mb gfx card, and I have tried 2 separate DVI-D single link cables to no avail.

Having never used DVI before, I'm slightly concerned I'm being a muppet, this might be a stupid question but there's not a setting somewhere on the 8800gts that I need to set to DVI-D for it to work right?

Cheers for any answers.

Back
Top Bottom