My heater exploded! (or: why I should do proper servicing/maintenance!)

Associate
Basically it went bang! and steam and water started pouring into the cockpit. Luckily we were at traffic lights so just jumped out. It just overheated too much and something burst, tbh i haven't done aything to the cooling system other than topping up/cheeking coolant strength in the 5 years I've owned it! Some of the rubber parts are pretty perished and the thermostat looks like it's seized. In future I think I'll be paying a lot more attention to things that could potentially kill me! No real point to this I guess but thought I'd share, maybe other people can learn from my mistakes!

Soldato
It will be the heater matrix thats burst, depends on the car it can be a REAL PITA to change. Mine burst while the girlfriend was driving, possibly the worst job ive ever had to do on a car.

edit: it still may have happend even if you did do regular servicing etc

Associate
OP
yeah I've heard it is a PITA, involves taking most of the dash apart. not gonna worry about it till later in the year though, not gonna need it for a few months i hope! it was the thermostat stuck shut that caused the overheating, i guess the matrix was the weakest part of the system so went first :(

Soldato
IAmATeaf said:
Didn't the temp guage in the car give any warning that the water system was overheating?

The coolant dosen't have to overheat for a heater matrix to fail, they can simply get weaker as they age, especially if the coolant hasn't been changed according to service schedule.

Back
Top Bottom