Diesel Hatchback

Associate
OP
Homeslice said:
My statement was an and/or statement. For sub 15k you'd be looking at the 163 lump I guess

1 series is the worst looking car in the world, so not even in consideration.

Can see I've opened a right can of worms here.

Long and short of it is that Skoda's are out and I hate the 1 series shape. Also glad to see that there are no French cars recommended as I want to avoid those.
Was interested in the Mondeo a while ago, but am just not sure. Feel it's too big for what I'm after. I'm more of a hot hatch type person.

Too much choice, thats the problem :D

Permabanned
Rudeboy said:

Long and short of it is that Skoda's are out and I hate the 1 series shape. Also glad to see that there are no French cars recommended as I want to avoid those.
Was interested in the Mondeo a while ago, but am just not sure. Feel it's too big for what I'm after. I'm more of a hot hatch type person.

Mini :o
/leaves thread

Soldato
Stonedofmoo said:
lol ah so your saw my point Merlin ;)

However for the comparison you can choose any gear you like. I'd just be interested to see which was quicker :)

The power band is just perfect for 0-80mph driving :cool:
Come the RR day, me and NickXX can have a grand remapped 330i vs remapped 330d race! :p

Soldato
PMKeates said:
Come the RR day, me and NickXX can have a grand remapped 330i vs remapped 330d race! :p

I got past Nick pretty easy at Donington but he said he was getting some boost or fuel cut so it wasn't entirely fair.

Permabanned
panthro said:
They are in the MG ZT Diesel if you have had them remapped.

Sorry.

The M47R unit is the old 136 bmw lump just with common rail injection shoved in it. The 120d unit is a far cry from these old skool days. Have seen a 170bhp Zt Diesel though.

Don
Rudeboy said:

Then you have just really drastically cut down your options to an Audia A3, or a Golf TDI. Which is essentially the same cars, but with a different badge.

Good luck

Soldato
Pfft

IMG_0627s.jpg

Associate
OP
hilly said:
Then you have just really drastically cut down your options to an Audia A3, or a Golf TDI. Which is essentially the same cars, but with a different badge.

Good luck

True, but nobody has made any comment on the 2 cars I opened the thread with. The Focus and the Astra. Build quality aside, how do the diesel engines on these 2 cars compare to the VAG units. I know the Focus is 136BHP and the Astra is 150BHP standard. Any idea on what these can be mapped to? Does it compare to the ~200BHP that the VAG units get? Also, why don't they do a 2.2 Focus? Anyone know if it's on the cards?

Thanks again.

Don
Rudeboy said:
True, but nobody has made any comment on the 2 cars I opened the thread with. The Focus and the Astra. Build quality aside, how do the diesel engines on these 2 cars compare to the VAG units. I know the Focus is 136BHP and the Astra is 150BHP standard. Any idea on what these can be mapped to? Does it compare to the ~200BHP that the VAG units get? Also, why don't they do a 2.2 Focus? Anyone know if it's on the cards?

Thanks again.

The 2.2 lump is only the mondeo, though I'm sure they will eventually stick it in a Focus, that's how Ford work.

The Astra isn't a great car, if you want a hot diesel hatch you will only get the reccomendations of a VW, Audi, Skoda, or possible the Seat.

The Civic is a possible contender, the 2.2 lump in there is a decent engine, but you will definately need to go out and test drive these. The Audi, VW, Skoda and Seat all use the same engine, so only the interior has been changed so it's really up to you as to which one you prefer. Obviously the Seat is the cheapest, then Skoda and VW/Audi both priced around the same.

Focus TDCI won't go wrong, is reliable, not driven the TDCI so can't comment on performance, but the interior on the higher spec models are very plesant. The Vauxhall though, when I was a passenger I did hate, it's one of those cars in which you will buy and it will depreciate like a stone. It looks like a ******* off spring of a Focus, A Megane and a 1 series.

Man of Honour
panthro said:
They are in the MG ZT Diesel if you have had them remapped.

Errr so what? The 120d isn't an engine, it's an entire car. You can't put a 120d into a ZT however big the Estate variant is, and you cant get a 180bhp 120d for under £15k. Remapped who cares, you compare stock cars when looking at what you could buy.

You can't even get the new 2.0 diesel in a ZT anyway becuase Rover went bust before BMW introduced it.

For what? Trying to be pedantic and making yourself look stupid? :) It's no problem.

Soldato
If Vauxhall could make a decent interior I'm sure they'd sell at least 25% more Astras than they currently do. I love the exterior look of the 3dr Astra but that goes right out the window as soon as I opened the door.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the Focus, but it doesn't feel anything special, even in top of the range Titanium X guise, and even then equipment levels aren't really up to much. Then whilst you're at the Ford dealers you see a Mondeo ST TDCi for not much more money and the Focus starts to look very ordinary in comparison. I think Ford are probably due a "hot" diesel Focus but I'm not sure what they'd use to power it - the Mondeo 2.2 is a non-starter as they've stopped production of those now, the new twin turbo 2.2 is a possibility or maybe the Volvo D5 unit which definitely fits the chassis as the S40 has it, but they'd have to ask near £20k list and unless they can get them onto fleets it won't be worth it.

The Golf GT TDi 140 had very little to justify its GT badge, although later GT's do get a bodykit. I'm not a fan of the engine though - it has a terrible mechanical clatter about it due to the injection system and the power delivery all happens in the space of about 1000 revs which is narrow even by diesel standards.

The most appealing 2.0 diesel small hatch for me would a Citroen C4, but you said no French cars. Citroen are definitely a company that has been on the up in recent times though, and if nothing else its a bit different and is very well equipped in VTS spec.

Back
Top Bottom