500bhp R33 vs DC2 Type-R on the 'ring

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The Skybus couldn't shake the 'teg for the entire lap :D :cool:

Click Me.

I'm just showing what I managed with a pretty much standard car and road tyres ;)

I'm not particularly quick really, I've just done enough laps to have confidence to use the available grip through most of the lap. I've still got lots to learn ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Dandle said:
He wasn't trying then ;) .

Why would somebody go all the way to the 'ring, and 'not try'? The Skyline driver has also done 7 laps of the ring, so not exactly inexperienced.

Sure, the 'teg driver was clearly more commited and the better driver, but that doesn't make it any less impressive.

Associate
DreXeL said:
Why would somebody go all the way to the 'ring, and 'not try'?
Because he probably didn't want to crash his pride and joy no doubt. I know if I ever went to the 'ring I would definitely drive well within my ability, not on the limit.

Does that make me sound old and boring? :D

Permabanned
It also prooves that the quest for power does not go hand in hand with the ability to apply the power to the road epsecially in the twisties.

Soldato
DreXeL said:
Sure, the 'teg driver was clearly more commited and the better driver, but that doesn't make it any less impressive.

I think that "lady" on Top Gear showed what a good driver could do, she did a great time in a van!

Put a bad driver in a good car = bad lap time
Put a good driver in a bad car = good lap time
Put a good driver in a good car = great lap time

HEADRAT

Soldato
I can't watch it because i'm at work, but are you suggesting a 500bhp GTR held up a 200bhp DC2 for an entire 9 minute lap :eek:

I can't see how thats possible since the GTR should have left any DC2 in its dust on the straights if nothing else. 500bhp is a LOT of power!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
UKDTweak said:
Looks like he was toying with you, from the off he blew away from you and left you for snot, you only caught him as he slowed down for the bikes LOL :D

It wasn't me, I found it on another forum. And of course the skyline is quicker on the straights, I wouldn't expect anything different. And why the hell would someone 'toy' with someone for an entire lap of the 'ring?

Stonedofmoo said:
I can't watch it because i'm at work, but are you suggesting a 500bhp GTR held up a 200bhp DC2 for an entire 9 minute lap :eek:

I can't see how thats possible since the GTR should have left any DC2 in its dust on the straights if nothing else. 500bhp is a LOT of power!

The point really is that spec counts for nothing if you know your way around the ring....

Last edited:
Permabanned
Stonedofmoo said:

True, 500bhp is a lot of power. But only if it can be applied to the road. Rethinks about top gear and that insance Mercedes which was actually slower than xyz car costing a hell of a lot less.

Man of Honour
DreXeL said:
Why would somebody go all the way to the 'ring, and 'not try'?

Becuase if you go to the ring to 'try' you risk coming home either in a box yourself, or with your car in a box. There is very little margin for error, very little runoff, and it's bloody busy. If you drive it as anything other than just a fast public road you are asking for trouble.

You will find most people who go to the ring do not go there to give it 100%. Thats what domestic trackdays with lots of runoff are for.

Soldato
Sorry, did not realise it was not your own vid, however, if he had done 7 laps already and this was his last, perhaps he was going slower to save his car for the journey home.

I only watched till just after he pasted the first lot of bikes, and up to that point, his cornering was not that of a driver in a hurry, unlike the teg driver.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
A 9 min lap in a 500hp car? I can't help but think that a quick is under 8 mins and that there's quite a number of not so amazing cars that are in the mid 8s now. The implications are simple, the Skyline was clearly driven by a numpty, or was taking it easy.

Put it another way, the day you beat a Ferrari away from the lights whilst in a Nova, who do you think was trying, and who was busy checking his tan in the rear view mirror?

Talking of Skylines, on the MX5 meet I went to last year, I beat one by 5 seconds around the short course they had setup in my standard 5. Does that somehow also make me a God?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Mr_Sukebe said:
Talking of Skylines, on the MX5 meet I went to last year, I beat one by 5 seconds around the short course they had setup in my standard 5. Does that somehow also make me a God?

No, but it shows that the track was clearly better suited to the lightweight limpet-like 5 than the lardy Skyline.

This all reminds me of the Starlet GT that was raping EVOs at Japfest the year before last. Sure, the driver of the Starlet was just awesome, but does that mean that all the EVO drivers were 'numties', and 'not trying'?

Caporegime
if i had a 500bhp skyline there is no way id be redlining every shift and i would most certainly be wanting to take it home as it arrived @ any track - i.e in good condition.

but its true that a really good driver in a slower car can infact pass a worse driver in a much faster car,

check this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqiPcfZGpyM

3 mins in when he is chasing down a P10 with boost (the boost is obvious on each straightway) but this guy is amazing he just hacksaws them all down.

is his car better? or is it simply because he is committed and better?

Caporegime
DreXeL said:
This all reminds me of the Starlet GT that was raping EVOs at Japfest the year before last. Sure, the driver of the Starlet was just awesome, but does that mean that all the EVO drivers were 'numties', and 'not trying'?

no it just shows what a finely tuned weapon can do in the hands of soemone who has really honed their skills in that discipline (GT driving).

Soldato
I always think certain cars have a certain body language.

The Skyline is one where even driven hard - it still looks very casual.

I don't think the Skyline was giving it death, but he certainly wasn't cruising.

Bear in mind it's a hefty motor that won't change direction very quickly - they do look rather "casual" even when the driver is pressing on.

Back
Top Bottom