Virgin Media Broadband 20MB

Soldato
i'm with virgin and recently joined usenetserver it does max out my connection, but if i download headers the speed is only around 60KB/s and currently will take 60hrs to download all the headers from a group i just subscribed too :(

Associate
Gimpymoo said:
Virgin newsgroups do not list ALL newsgroups, only a select few.

I agree deecent speeds are obtained although its worth paying as you get access to nearly all groups.

Depends what your interests are I suppose.

Hmm I know where your comming from, I use BY servers, aint tried the Virgin, I thought they might just be mirrored though, I always heard the NTL ones were dire. But with so many files are now shared amongst various groups, I wasnt aware of anything I couldnt get from one group to the next.

Soldato
Vicar said:
Hmm I know where your comming from, I use BY servers, aint tried the Virgin, I thought they might just be mirrored though, I always heard the NTL ones were dire. But with so many files are now shared amongst various groups, I wasnt aware of anything I couldnt get from one group to the next.

If you have a interest in a paticular area.. Nordic Tractor racing for example, the stuff you want may only be on one or two groups which BY are unlikely to provide.

Last edited:
Associate
Gimpymoo said:
Nordic Tractor racing

Yup the 20 Hbp v the 21 Hbp Tractor race was a shocker.... the 20 Hbp Tractor won it on torque through the gears was a shocker.... that was on a subscribed newsgroup back in the day.... Scandanvian interests aside's I still find BY newsgroups ok, as again keep on top of them I get my tractor racing on various Groups up to-date. Maybe I am missing out somewhere.... keeps me happy as long as I keep up to date for free.

Associate
MadMan-JaMeS said:
we got an old modem which can't do no more than 10mb a sec how would we go about getting them to send us a new one ?

modem is a Terayon TJ210

Erm... connact Virgin and say you have an old modem not capable of 10meg before May I would think so it keeps you free of upgrading the modem and plead ignorance.... I am sure they charge for an upgrade for the old modem... I know I aint making much sense.... old BY customers got it for nowt on the 10 meg, so I am hoping it still applies till the 20 kicks in....

Soldato
Vicar said:
Do you use Blueyonder/Virgin servers for Usenet? They really are blinding fast... Retention is shocking 3 days or so, but if you keep on top of your downloads, I dont see the point of a paid subscription

tbh they arent really, they are shocking, massively incomplete files, retention is about a day at best which severley limits whats out there + they only carry about half the groups. Usenet subs can be had for 7 quid a month unlimited, its not much really. Though id does all start adding up.

Soldato
Vicar said:
Erm... connact Virgin and say you have an old modem not capable of 10meg before May I would think so it keeps you free of upgrading the modem and plead ignorance.... I am sure they charge for an upgrade for the old modem... I know I aint making much sense.... old BY customers got it for nowt on the 10 meg, so I am hoping it still applies till the 20 kicks in....

It used to be £50 to get it replaced but I think they've now dropped it to £25 for the 20 Mb upgrade. It's annoying though when I know other people are getting it sent out for free.

Associate
Is anyone here in grays ubr 02 03 or 04 which is ex-blueyonder? Have you been upgraded yet? Still waiting on mine :(

let me know :)

Associate
I rang VM earlier today and they said the upgrade only applied to 10 meg accounts. No current plan to upgrade 4 meg customers. Oh well, looks like I'm just going to have to wait till they can be bothered.

Permabanned
k-narf said:
I rang VM earlier today and they said the upgrade only applied to 10 meg accounts. No current plan to upgrade 4 meg customers. Oh well, looks like I'm just going to have to wait till they can be bothered.

You sure, I was on 10 meg (paying for 4 meg) during the trail.

Its

4 meg = 10 meg £3 extra a month

10 meg = 20 meg £3 extra a month

Back
Top Bottom