• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

(!Warning! Fudzilla!) Eeeek 2900XT may need a 750W+ PSU

Soldato
For optimal performance and Overdrive overclocking you need to use one 2x3 pin PCIe power connector and one 2x4 pin PCIe power connector.
I think they got that wrong.....

It should be one 2x3 pin PCI express and one 2x4 pin PCI express

Soldato
Mortster said:
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=810&Itemid=1

This, claimed, scan of the ATI quickstart guide found with the 2900XT states "A 750W or better power supply..."

This is utter madness, this can't be right can it ?
I already posted on this , to recap. Even an overclocked dual C2D+2900XT isn't going to use more than 350W/30A@12V. A good 500W PSU will be fine for most people. Its just to cover the PSU manufacturers who quote peak power levels. Its aimed at the general user who probably doesn't know what a rail or amp means. A more interesting problem is an overclocked 2900XT is getting very close to the overcurrent limit for a single rail. If you have a PSU with very strict OCP limits and the manufacturer has stuck to the ATX spec. Then the cpu is on one rail the remainder is on the other, it could well trip out.

Last edited:
Soldato
So take that with a pinch of salt, its just like Nvidia saying you need 500w minimum for GTS/GTX yet so many have them running on 480w, 430w and even 380w in some cases working 100% fine. :)

Soldato
fornowagain said:
I already posted on this , to recap. Even an overclocked dual C2D+2900XT isn't going to use more than 350W/30A@12V. A good 500W PSU will be fine for most people. Its just to cover the PSU manufacturers who quote peak power levels. Its aimed at the general user who probably doesn't know what a rail or amp means.
The problem is....Which PSU's under 600watts come with a 2x3 PCI express and a 2x4 PCI express plug....

I know my Enermax Infiniti 720W has two 2x3 PCI express and one 2x4 PCI express...but i don't know which lower power PSU's come with the 2x4 PCI express plugs..

Last edited:
Soldato
It'll be down to adapters I suppose. This 2x3 pin lark is very confusing.

There is very little difference power wise between a 6 and 8 pin plug. The 8pin has to more commons, no extra 12v. Its only a slight 25w rating increase. Not actual power.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nice, 200w is low though no?

I suppose theyre predicting the power usage of every other component in the sytem...assuming everyones on 8 cored cpu's and what not by the time its released =P /joke

Soldato
Gibbo said:
Hi there

It does not require a 750W PSU !

It consumes 200W a maximum of 200W at stock speeds. :)
But you need a 2x3 pin and 2x8 pin for overclocking...and most smaller PSU's don't come with a 2x8pin.....

So the Card no good if we can't overclock it ;) or has this forum changed to stockclockers now!!!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
chaparral said:
But you need a 2x8 pin for overclocking...and most smaller PSU's don't come with a 2x8pin.....

So the Card no good if we can't overclock it ;)
No you need a 6 pin and an 8 pin. It'll have/need an adapter that converts 2x 6 pin to an 8 pin. So that's 3x 6 pins in total.

Last edited:
Soldato
chaparral said:
But you need a 2x8 pin for overclocking...and most smaller PSU's don't come with a 2x8pin.....

So the Card no good if we can't overclock it ;)

Most PSU suppliers will be sending out Free 8 Pin adaptors providing shipping is paid.

Gibbo what PSU are you using with your card?, knew this wouldn't be true, Fuad should be banished from the internets, the utter moron.

Soldato
Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Tom|Nbk said:
Most PSU suppliers will be sending out Free 8 Pin adaptors providing shipping is paid.

Gibbo what PSU are you using with your card?, knew this wouldn't be true, Fuad should be banished from the internets, the utter moron.

Hi there

Our system had an Enermax 1000W PSU.

I have the ATI Tech/Fact sheet here so upto 200W is requirement at stock clocks with 2x6pin connectors.

If overclocking then you need 1x8pin and 1x6pin connected and then it consumes upto 225W.

I hope ATI don't bash me for stating this but I don't want misleading information such as that going around.

Fact is a decent quality 400-500W PSU will run of these cards fine if your running a Core 2 DUO system or Athlon X2 based system. :)

Back
Top Bottom