Official "I don't know what make of P35 Motherboard to buy" Thread

Soldato
Jonny L said:
Does the ddr3 version support ddr2 aswell, because there is no ddr3 available atm, so it makes no sense if it doesn't.

I would be extremely surprised if you find anywhere selling DDR3 memory modules yet.

Soldato
Jonny L said:
what so the p5k3 will support both ddr and ddr2?

Both P5K & P5K Deluxe uses DDR2 while the P5K3 Deluxe uses DDR3 AFAIK.

The chipset supports both DDR2 & DDR3 but it's up to the manufacturers to decide which one to use for their mobos, or both.

Last edited:
Soldato
You're getting a little confused.
Basically the P35 Chipset is capable of using either DDR2 or DDR3.
As somebody else said, imagine it a little like the Intel 915 chipset - that supported both DDR and DDR2.

Now although the chipset itself supports both DDR2 & DDR3 it will be down to the manufacturer and the model of the motherboard which actual memory is supported on each board.
At the moment there are two which support DDR2 (In stock) and one which supports DDR3 (not in stock).
There is a good chance that we may also see some boards which support both DDR2 or DDR3 (have both slots and you use either DDR2 OR DDR3 modules on it).
Expect any physical board that can take either/or DDR2/3 to be the most costly.

Associate
stoofa said:
You're getting a little confused.
Basically the P35 Chipset is capable of using either DDR2 or DDR3.
As somebody else said, imagine it a little like the Intel 915 chipset - that supported both DDR and DDR2.

Now although the chipset itself supports both DDR2 & DDR3 it will be down to the manufacturer and the model of the motherboard which actual memory is supported on each board.
At the moment there are two which support DDR2 (In stock) and one which supports DDR3 (not in stock).
There is a good chance that we may also see some boards which support both DDR2 or DDR3 (have both slots and you use either DDR2 OR DDR3 modules on it).
Expect any physical board that can take either/or DDR2/3 to be the most costly.

Thanks, I was just getting confused as I could swear I read somewhere that the boards would have slots for both types of memory.

Soldato
Jonny L said:
Thanks, I was just getting confused as I could swear I read somewhere that the boards would have slots for both types of memory.

Some probably will.
Basically once all the manufacturers have started to produce them there will be three types on the market:

P35 - DDR2 Only Support
P35 - DDR3 Only Support
P35 - DDR2 & DDR3 Support (Only one type at a time, no mixing)

Because there will be a lot more work involved with creating a board with both memory controllers and a way so that both DDR2 & DDR3 module slots can be mounted, expect the boards that will take both types to be rather expensive.
However it does give you a cheaper upgrade route as you can stage it.
Buy motherboard now and use DDR2, move to DDR3 over time as and when prices appear and then drop then look into the new CPU's at the back end of the year.

Associate
Y'know I always get the feeling these bridge-the-gap chipsets are going to be poor performers and quickly outdone by a new P40 chipset release without the legacy DDR2 support some months later.

I mean you wouldn't recommend a 915 to a P4 owner who wanted the best performance would you?

Don
Ok, from reading around the Deluxe has an option in the BIOS that disables the Vdroop function :D . Not sure if this also applies to the non-Deluxe version.

Jokester

Edit:- Seems the current non-Deluxe BIOS doesn't have this feature :(

Back
Top Bottom