DDR 3 - On Pre Order - CORSAIR!

Associate
it'll only be worth changing when you can get much higher frequs, or much tighter latencies.

Bit like DDR2 was worthless for a while..... DDR beat it in latencies, and that overshadowed the frequency boost. Especialy when AMD intergrated the memory controller onto the CPU, when DDR-AMD really slapped Intel silly on mem bandwith.

Meh, i have 4Gb of Crucial 10th, not going to toss that any time soon, and when i do hopefully it'll have decent resale value (like DDR is staying pretty high in price atm compared to DDR2, supply and demand).

And if Intel FORCE a move to DDR£ (sorry, DDR3 ;) ) any time soon, well, AMD arent going to!

Soldato
simonnance said:
it'll only be worth changing when you can get much higher frequs, or much tighter latencies.

Bit like DDR2 was worthless for a while..... DDR beat it in latencies, and that overshadowed the frequency boost. Especialy when AMD intergrated the memory controller onto the CPU, when DDR-AMD really slapped Intel silly on mem bandwith.

Meh, i have 4Gb of Crucial 10th, not going to toss that any time soon, and when i do hopefully it'll have decent resale value (like DDR is staying pretty high in price atm compared to DDR2, supply and demand).

And if Intel FORCE a move to DDR£ (sorry, DDR3 ;) ) any time soon, well, AMD arent going to!

DDR2 is still pointless imo. We we're forced into it.

Associate
After speaking to Overclockers, I bought the P5K3, because they said it also supported DD2 (and indeed on the website it indicates support for DD2+DDR3) - but having now read around the internet a little, it seems to me that the board only supports DDR3?

Can anyone confirm this? I have paid for Saturday delivery, so will be a bit miffed if it turns up and the DDR2 RAM and that board won't play ball together!

Also bought the Xeon 3220 - wanted the 3210 but couldn't find one anywhere..

Associate
I'll answer my own post! They have now changed the description to say it only supports DDR3!

Doh - guess it's off to the computer fair tomorrow to get a DDR2 motherboard, and return the P5K3 to OC, as I ain't spending nearly 300 quid on 2Gb of DDR3!

Soldato
OP
psykix said:
After speaking to Overclockers, I bought the P5K3, because they said it also supported DD2 (and indeed on the website it indicates support for DD2+DDR3) - but having now read around the internet a little, it seems to me that the board only supports DDR3?

Can anyone confirm this? I have paid for Saturday delivery, so will be a bit miffed if it turns up and the DDR2 RAM and that board won't play ball together!

Also bought the Xeon 3220 - wanted the 3210 but couldn't find one anywhere..
OMG! OcUK support noobs or what! I've just read the manual & it doesnt say anything about DDR2 compatability it just says support for DDR3.

Download the Manual:- http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5K3 Deluxe/e3220_p5k3_deluxe.zip

Also Read:- http://support.asus.com/search/search.aspx?keyword=P5K3&SLanguage=en-us

Last edited:

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Slenpree said:
i would have expected DDR3 to have a different amount of pins and a different voltage to DDR2, unless i am wrong it will never work with a DDR2 mainboard.

There will be P35 based boards with both DDR2 and DDR3 slots.

Associate
They aren't worse timings than DDR2 memory, the 1066 DDR2 at 1.8V is CAS7 also, the CAS5 stuff is non-Jedec at 2.2V, OCZ will probably pump out some equivolent for DDR3.

DDR3 was originally said to offer many improvements over DDR2, I don't think Intel would jump the gun over that.

Soldato
IdleWild said:
They aren't worse timings than DDR2 memory, the 1066 DDR2 at 1.8V is CAS7 also, the CAS5 stuff is non-Jedec at 2.2V, OCZ will probably pump out some equivolent for DDR3.

DDR3 was originally said to offer many improvements over DDR2, I don't think Intel would jump the gun over that.

Did Intel say similar things about Rambus ?

That didn't work out too well....

Soldato
ddr3 offers much more than just increased speeds, there have been a large number of tweaks to the data handling process since ddr2. :)

Besides, those latency's will tighten up more than that and considering this is only the first retail gen after all....

Still, wouldn't buy it at that price, would have to be 4gb to tempt me as well.

Man of Honour
In theory DDR3 @ 1066 w/ CAS7 would give about 12-15gig/s, compared to 8-10gigs for DDR2 @ 1066 w/ CAS4... personally I don't see much if any performance penalty for running say DDR2 @ 667 over DDR2 @ 1066 so not sure what the point of DDR3 is at this point in time... I'd be more interested when things move on and we have proper DDR3 capable of 25+gig/s.

Back
Top Bottom