DDR 3 - On Pre Order - CORSAIR!

Associate
DDR3 (for now) does not have much to offer to desktop machines.

The MAIN advantage of this technology is the lower power consumption and thermal signature design. This is ofc as you already think aimed at mobile products and laptops.

Soldato
Bradmax57 said:
ITS NOT, at least at the moment, surely no one is saying DDR2 @ 1066 4-4-4-12 isnt much faster than this stuff at Cas7

Er. It is.

Highest official speed currently offered by ddr2 is 800, ddr3 offers higher official speeds.

And you're ignoring the features introduced with ddr3.

Associate
highest official speed for ddr2 is 1066, however it is also cas 7

I dont know why people are taking this attitude that ddr3 is being forced on us, or even comparing it to the failings of rambus, scare mongerng I think, I'm quite happy about ddr3, and looking forward to owning some, I think it wont be long until it outpaces ddr2.

Soldato
This is a really interesting thread - largely because it's a bunch of users re-enforcing one another's lack of understanding about what DDR3 delivers over DDR2.

And before you jump all over me - ask yourself this. Would I buy a performance graphics card with DDR2 RAM in it? I bet you wouldn't. Why? Because the DDR3 cards are much faster.

Clock for clock DDR3 delivers 50% more bandwidth than DDR2, so you could actually go to to CAS8 DDR3 from CAS5 DDR2 before DDR2 outperformed the DDR3 RAM at the same speed. And that's not the REAL benefit. It runs at 1.5V, not 2.2V or 2.4V like the current very high speed DDR2. The big benefit of that is runs much cooler so it's more stable and more reliable.

And DDR3-PC8500 is just the start, there will be DDR3-PC12800 (1600MHz) very soon, still running at 1.5V and with apparently very high latencies.

All that said - I do think they're having a bit of a laugh with the pricing. Given that for a bit over £100 I can buy a fast graphics card with 512Mb of similar speed DDR3 on it, then 2Gb for £300 looks like spectacularly greedy pricing.

Last edited:
Soldato
WJA96 said:
This is a really interesting thread - largely because it's a bunch of users re-enforcing one another's lack of understanding about what DDR3 delivers over DDR2.

And before you jump all over me - ask yourself this. Would I buy a performance graphics card with DDR2 RAM in it? I bet you wouldn't. Why? Because the DDR3 cards are much faster.

Clock for clock DDR3 delivers 50% more bandwidth than DDR2, so you could actually go to to CAS8 DDR3 from CAS5 DDR2 before DDR2 outperformed the DDR3 RAM at the same speed. And that's not the REAL benefit. It runs at 1.5V, not 2.2V or 2.4V like the current very high speed DDR2. The big benefit of that is runs much cooler so it's more stable and more reliable.

And DDR3-PC8500 is just the start, there will be DDR3-PC12800 (1600MHz) very soon, still running at 1.5V and with apparently very high latencies.

All that said - I do think they're having a bit of a laugh with the pricing. Given that for a bit over £100 I can buy a fast graphics card with 512Mb of similar speed DDR3 on it, then 2Gb for £300 looks like spectactularly greedy pricing.

:D

Last edited:
Associate
TBH everyone should calm down, we all know that it will take a while for ddr3 to settle down in price and for the timings to tighten, so wait it out till say jan/feb next year and you will be sitting with a nice pair of really fast ram sticks.

Soldato
WJA96 said:

Welcome to OcUK :D

I wouldn't buy either, simply because graphics cards don't use ddr2 or ddr3.

Indeed, people just looks at the speeds and latency and jump to conclusions, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3 - some interesting info for people who don't know much about this new ram.

All that said - I do think they're having a bit of a laugh with the pricing. Given that for a bit over £100 I can buy a fast graphics card with 512Mb of similar speed DDR3 on it, then 2Gb for £300 looks like spectacularly (fixed ;))greedy pricing.

DDR3 != GDDR3
You cannot compare the prices of graphics cards and the amount of on-board GDDR3 to DDR3 system ram.

beh, I haven't the energy to split it up, forgive me :p

Soldato
iv got the money to buy all new again, quad core the lot but im waiting till ddr3 and 45nm cpus are here and have dropped price, i baught this core2duo rig not long since about 5 months ago and the price has dropped like crazy and you could buy new of what i have twice for what i payed now. :rolleyes:

Soldato
lay-z-boy said:
Beh (capitalization at the beginning of sentences :D ), I haven't the energy to split it up, forgive me :p

Certainly not - I cannot forgive laziness. Thanks for the education on the differences between DDR2, DDR3 and GDDR3 - learning is good!

[Edit]And thanks for fixing the spelling error

And irrespective of whether GDD3 is the same as DDR3 or not, they are still taking the mick with the pricing. Bottom line is we (the consumers) can kill DDR3 by not buying it. Why would I not buy it? Because I can get more bang for my buck with DDR2 that's why. And I don't need DDR3, so I'm not going to buy it at daft prices.[/Edit]

Last edited:
Soldato
WJA96 said:
Certainly not - I cannot forgive laziness. Thanks for the education on the differences between DDR2, DDR3 and GDDR3 - learning is good!

[Edit]And thanks for fixing the spelling error

And irrespective of whether GDD3 is the same as DDR3 or not, they are still taking the mick with the pricing. Bottom line is we (the consumers) can kill DDR3 by not buying it. Why would I not buy it? Because I can get more bang for my buck with DDR2 that's why. And I don't need DDR3, so I'm not going to buy it at daft prices.[/Edit]

Exactly...so what on earth is your point?

And before you jump all over me - ask yourself this. Would I buy a performance graphics card with DDR2 RAM in it? I bet you wouldn't. Why? Because the DDR3 cards are much faster
So you're saying you would buy DDR3 because it's much faster but then you won't because it's too expensive. Kinda contradicting yourself there?

Associate
WJA96 said:

Hiya, where are you getting your figures from because from what I understand 1066 is the clock in MHz as well as representing the data throughput in Megabits, so what are you basing your 50% clock for clock statement on?

Back
Top Bottom