• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD gets phenomenal with Phenom processors

Soldato
man whats is it with these names, first 4x4 then they changed it? what else can they use? V8? hell why not just slap a turbo badge on it and go faster stripes too? all a bit pointless.

they probably spent 6 months thinking up the name then started designing after that.

one thing though, hopefully AMD can pull it back in the cpu stakes, either way its gonna make some real high processing power available to us on the cheapo.

Associate
So I have to ask, what's the point?

We barely have any software at the minute which caters for two cores let alone 4, and most just uses multi-threading to split portions of the program anyway meaning an indivdual core is usually being utilized more than the other, since they're not equally split.

The way I see it, no matter how good the benchmarks look, end of the day most software is still going to try to use a single lousy core, and if they're just as slow or slower and cooler, that means less performance for average joe instead of more.

Furthermore, since intel are using a smaller process, the TDP is less anyway! So personally, I think Core2 will continue to win until AMD switch to 45nm, because by the time intel come out with a decent quad core alternative, we'll probably seen little to no software taking real advantage of multiple cores.

Soldato
Gashman said:
stop bitching about names, not like 'core 2 duo' is the greatest name ever concieved ever, if anything it sounds like some sort text language gone wrong... :rolleyes:
I agree! Who cares about the name :)

Enthusiasts still refer to C2D as "Conroe" even to this day. It is just far less ambiguous. Phenom will be no different.

Back
Top Bottom