Asus MW221U 22" Ghosting in games.

Associate
what steps do I need to take now to get mine fixed?

Hi
I have this monitor and have bad ghosting - I saw the link to vasco but I also see he left.

What proceedure do I need to follow to get the minito fixed? I still have the orginal box etc.

thanks in advance

Soldato
OP
Ring Asus support (01442 202734) and tell them your situation, Im sure Vasco's replacement has been about the problem and how to fix it.

Associate
@Devious:

I`m from Germany and i have the problem, that the german support does not know anything about the firmware update and theiy still assert, that definately there is no update anywhere.

Could you please give me an contact e-mail address of your support? I don`t know if my english is good enough to describe my problem per phone. :)

I`m still in hope, that they could give the information to the german support.

Soldato
OP
below said:
@Devious:

I`m from Germany and i have the problem, that the german support does not know anything about the firmware update and theiy still assert, that definately there is no update anywhere.

Could you please give me an contact e-mail address of your support? I don`t know if my english is good enough to describe my problem per phone. :)

I`m still in hope, that they could give the information to the german support.

I only have the email of Vasco ([email protected]) and he has left Asus now, unfortunately it looks like you would have to phone them and maybe just ask for an email adress.

Associate
IT Troll said:
I'm afraid your contact is talking ********. Vasco did work for the ASUS UK Support Centre - I called it enough times to know this for sure. He did leave recently so this may cause some confusion.

The firmware came from tech support based in Asia. We had several delays due to Chinese holidays etc.

The update is achieved using a special serial-to-DVI cable. Do you really think Vasco could do a same day update on mulitple monitors if he had to take the monitor apart! It sounds like ASUS USA are trying to fob you off.

That is what I had gathered from this forum. I relayed this info to Robbie who is the supervisor of ASUS support USA. He said that ASUS Asia did not know of an issue, did not have a newer firmware, or was not admitting to any issues. Anyway you look at it, ASUS USA was left in the dark on this.

I've sent my monitor in for RMA. Robbie will swap it, hopefully for the latest production run. This may clear the issue up.

I'l post once I get the new monitor, with the prod run date and if the issue is now fixed.

Associate
Below,
You'll have to have the support manager read this forum, and understand what has transpired here and with ASUS UK. There are several recent posts which explain what was done, and how ASUS fixed the problem.

Associate
below said:
ASUS Germany finally told me again, that there will be no Firmware Update in the Future.
Asus asia ie their HQ at Tawain does know of the issue they actually have 2-3 updates this month but are holding off passing this on till they update more in Uk and some in Australia,

We here in australia have asus saying the same but I am in er "irregular" contact with their support section in TW who do acknowledge the fix. I am waiting mine being updated here atm and expect some of the same rubbish from the aussie service area when they check mine.

Re getting a new 1 would have to be a may- june run as the update was May 10 or so.

Update ===rang sydney they confirmed they know of the update actually confirmed there was more than 1 in may. They are updating my monitor today should be back Friday.

Last edited:
Soldato
Devious said:
Ring Asus support (01442 202734) and tell them your situation, Im sure Vasco's replacement has been about the problem and how to fix it.
Try asking for Ricky (sorry no surname), I spoke to him a couple of times regarding the ghosting issue so he is certainly aware of it.

Associate
Ok we aussies are having problems with Asus here The first 1 to get a monitor in for the fix got no fix only the following comment

'Ok they answered. Copped some b*****t that the response time is Grey to Grey therefore it's not the same across the whole colour range and in certain situations ghosting will occur. Apparently the problem that the firmware update fixed was ghosting with static images (He said viewing a word document the image would be ghosted 2 pixels across), he also said the firmware version to fix that problem was 057 and the firmware version on my monitor is 059. Apparently they tested my unit on several video cards (were all ATI), interestingly he also noted that they played "Striker" (nfi what that is) for 6 HOURS, lol.'

Re the UK fixed units can you let me know the following
1 manufacture date
2 does any1 know the firmware version number used by asus or how to bring up the service menu?

From above appears they are saying no moving image issues when the poster had ghosting in dark areas (maybe static images) but also had ghosting as we have in the boxes test link.

I have re-emailed my contact but he is doing a fast foot shuffle. think my emails are fed to spamkiller.:)

Mine and anothers are due back soon just trying to update my info before I have words with them.

Associate
That's an odd response from ASUS AU. Their own website advert shows two colorful ballons with the captions 'Without trace free technology" and "With trace free technology" with the bullet point "No more ghostings" that states "No more ghostings and video latency during movies or games".

If I were you, I'd forward a link to their own advert and ask him to explain why he is interpreting the ASUS' advertizing differently.

Soldato
OP
The ghosting on the desktop in word etc was an old problem that was fixed ages ago, probably firmware version 057 as you say. I had that fixed on one of my many replacements but it still ghosted in games.

Try and send it back to the shop as it isnt as advertised and Asus will not fix it as their warranty.

Soldato
Exactly what Devious said. The desktop ghosting is an old problem - my previous monitor was fixed of this particular issue way back in January.

It is really dissapointing that some techy has worked really hard on the fix but ASUS are unable/unwilling to distribute it to the regional offices.

Associate
rhysxanthis said:
mines got the desktop ghosting :(

peacekeeper any updates?

What is your manufacture date?

Asus is couriering mine and another back to Brisbane as both finished. the process was a tad messy as really no other Asus service centre knows of the update. 1 owners sent his to Melbourne and they returned it untouched. I will post when ours return, also my asus contct is chasing sydney up re this and seeing if he can spread the word. i feel asus is waiting to see UK satisfaction and as to what update ( there have been 3 recently) is the best.

Do not RMA it till I say please.

Interestingly the melbourne guy improved his by setting sRGB colour setting vis

I redid my monitor settings, using the sRGB colour temp, and the ghosting is gone....Overdrive + heavy shaking of test link =...nothing

Associate
manu. date was feb 07.

ive sent a fax along to the perth repair centre with details they requested, so i will find out by the end of the week i assume as to how i can get mine fixed. hopefully it can be done at the perth centre!

Associate
rhysxanthis said:
manu. date was feb 07.

ive sent a fax along to the perth repair centre with details they requested, so i will find out by the end of the week i assume as to how i can get mine fixed. hopefully it can be done at the perth centre!
Strange mine is 06 feb manufacture and no desktop ghosting.

Re perth Asus Sydney is the only site that will do the update or rather they want to be. Perth might be able to do it but they would not atm know of or be able to access the latest update.

Asus will courier it free to sydney but as I asked wait till we see what mine and another posters units are like when returned today/tuesday

Associate
Hi there.

I'm just wondering how long it usually takes for them to fix the problem and send it back? I've send it out on Tuesday and still haven't received any news thus far.

Soldato
Rapid-D said:
Hi there.

I'm just wondering how long it usually takes for them to fix the problem and send it back? I've send it out on Tuesday and still haven't received any news thus far.

If your on about asus uk mine was picked up on a wednesday and returned monday should just take a few days really.

Back
Top Bottom