Kawasaki GPZ 750 Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well, I ride a bike and drive a turbo'd car. From my experience I definately wouldn't want a turbo on my bike.

Changing gear on a bike is different from a car. It happens almost instantly, so there will be no time for the pressure to vent, so you wont get noises like you get on a car when going through the gears.

Most importantly though the characteristics of the power delivery are completely unsuitable. I'm very rarely at full throttle on the bike. If I did that then the front wheel would fly up in the air, on a turbo'd bike you'd then have to release the throttle, venting to atmos and going back off boost. Plus the surge you get when you hit boost pressure could be dangerous. Just totally unsuitable.

If I wanted to go faster then I'd just get a faster bike. Its not as if he's at the limit of performance as far as his budget is concerned.

Associate
And if your going to turbo a bike, it has to end up looking like this.

Take a Suzuki GSX1100 motor, bore it out around 1300cc. Stick it in a custom Spondon chassis and et voila.

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
rather a lot of exhaust between engine and turbo too... :/

*strokes frame*

mmmm...

the best turbo installs I've seen have had them mounted low-down, in front of te block...

*n

Associate
penski said:
rather a lot of exhaust between engine and turbo too... :/

*strokes frame*

mmmm...

the best turbo installs I've seen have had them mounted low-down, in front of te block...

*n

this from the early 90's when most turbo kits came from Mr Turbo. A lot has changed since then and like you say the low down front mounted ones are the most common.
Still cant beat the looks of the Monster though. Cant remember what the final power figures were for the bike, but it was plenty quick on a race track though.

Soldato
PyroboyUK said:
... i just love the noise it makes!
Only problem is though while i can maintain my own bike etc i have no knowledge what so ever of fitting a turbo to a bike.....

Please just stop now, it's not funny anymore :p

Soldato
penski said:
where are you then?

*n (staiths southbank, looking out over the river)

Oh staiths southbank ? That's estate agentease for Dunston, home of the famed rocket as seen in walkers crisps adverts on the opposite side of the road to the scrapyards and just down from the pub where the yank idiot who shot a copper down south hid out ?

Joking aside it's quite a nice development, I know someone who had a place in the same build while he was having something else to be finished off. I'm over in the Avenues near Saltwell Park just round the corner from the Azure Blue if you know it ?

Soldato
penski said:
as an aside, whilst you're around, what are your thoughts on a carb-fed bike lump being used with a positive-displacement blower at around 7psi? the high static CR shouldn't really be a hinderance and a chargecooler should keep inlet length and charge temps down...

*n

If it could be fitted a blower would certainly give much more suitable power delivery, but it would be tricky to fit to a stock engine as there is nowhere to take the drive from. I suppose if you had one of the Orange County chopper style V-Twin motors with huge exposed belt drive waiting to rip your foot off it would be easier :D

Permabanned
Avalon said:
Oh staiths southbank ? That's estate agentease for Dunston, home of the famed rocket as seen in walkers crisps adverts on the opposite side of the road to the scrapyards and just down from the pub where the yank idiot who shot a copper down south hid out ?

Joking aside it's quite a nice development, I know someone who had a place in the same build while he was having something else to be finished off.
dunston? cheeky bugger! I'm closer to newcastle than I am to dunston...I could hit a golf ball to newcastle...literally!

staiths southbank isn't dunston...it isn't teams...its just...staiths southbank.

I'm over in the Avenues near Saltwell Park just round the corner from the Azure Blue if you know it ?

not too familiar with the area :/

*n

Permabanned
Dogbreath said:
If it could be fitted a blower would certainly give much more suitable power delivery, but it would be tricky to fit to a stock engine as there is nowhere to take the drive from. I suppose if you had one of the Orange County chopper style V-Twin motors with huge exposed belt drive waiting to rip your foot off it would be easier :D
hehehe...how do you like your torque curve, sir?

"flat as a tabletop and about 200lb/ft..."

hmm....*ponders*

*n

Permabanned
oh, yeah - blown yank twins have been around for ages.

google for dreadnaught...it was the obsession in performance bikes the other month.

I <3 superchargers.

*n

Soldato
dynochart001in0.gif

^ That is what a proper turbo bike can do! Hayabusa Turbo with 405bhp and about 230ft-lbs of torque :D ! It's at 18psi of boost and it can go up to 28-30psi. He reckons 500bhp when he has it that high.

I'm not quite sure what this means but it sounds good I think!
[quote="Geri" on BikeChatForums]Look again the red run is 405hp - and since it's all on the spring (no boost controller) I'll have it in all the gears 1st-6th[/quote]

Some more quotes:

[quote="Geri" on BikeChatForums]
Just doing some quick calcs - stock torque on a busa is about 100lbs/ft, so with more than double that mine should accellerate in 4th the same as a stocker in 1st.

Also since the stock bike will wheelie of the throttle in 2nd, at an overall-gearing of 7.28:1, this one with overall gearing in top of 3.92 and 2.1x the torque should easily hoist the wheel between 7400 and 9500 rpm (which is 180mph)
[/quote]

[quote="Geri" on BikeChatForums]
Best speed today at Woody was 232mph, hopefully I can match that tomorrow, I'm geared for just under 250mph (+3 on the front and -4 on the rear).[/quote]

I would link to the thread but swearing is allowed on the forum and some people were quite "shocked" at how fast this bike is :D .

Soldato
If you can do a tyre in under >1,000 miles on a stock 'busa I hope he has shares in his chosen rubber provider and that's without even thinking about his clutch !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom