David Cameron, Tory Education Policy & Wikipedia

Suspended
The beginning of the Wikipedia entry for David Cameron includes the following comment
He read Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Oxford . . .
David Cameron is the leader of the Conservative Party, he may be the next British Prime Minister and could be responsible for education policy in the UK. His Shadow Education Secretary David Willetts has recently suggested that Tory policy on Grammar Schools is likely to change - David Cameron has not disagreed with this.

David Cameron was privately educated at great expense at Eton College. I believe that it is very important that readers of Wikipedia should be aware that a man who seems to be opposed to non fee-paying selective education was privately educated at the most expensive secondary school in the UK.

For this reason, I have added details of David Cameron's educational background to the beginning of his entry on Wikipedia. Each time I do so, someone removes the references to Eton from the start of the entry on him.

Sooner or later I will get blocked from editing the entry, could I ask any public spirited souls out there to make a point of checking this entry from time to time as follows
He went to school at [[Heatherdown Preparatory School]] in Winkfield, Berkshire and at [[Eton College]] before going on to read Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Oxford

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Hmmm, seems to have gone but there is a massive chunk in there that still discusses his time at Eton and the box just below the intro still shows Eton in his education.

Associate
I think it was removed because nobody usually cares about education before Uni. Especially not on a brief summary...

Cameron has been involved in British politics for much of his adult life. He read Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Oxford, gaining a first class honours degree and impressing his tutor who described him as "one of the ablest students" he has taught

says adult life, thats why

Last edited:
Soldato
I believe that it is very important that readers of Wikipedia should be aware that a man who seems to be opposed to non fee-paying selective education was privately educated at the most expensive secondary school in the UK.
Why is it important/relevant? Shouldn't the concept be debated on its merits rather than on the background of the person?

Suspended
OP
ArmyofHarmony said:
There's a whole section on his education lower down?
Indeed there is - lower down.

ArmyofHarmony said:
I think it was removed because nobody usually cares about education before Uni. Especially not on a brief summary...
Perhaps not, except that what I am talking about here is his policies on Secondary Education, not on Universities. His having attended Eton seems pretty relevant, n'est pas?

As I said, "I have added details of David Cameron's educational background to the beginning of his entry on Wikipedia."

Permabanned
How you can grow up with a balanced view of life in Eton is beyond me. The kids that go to Eton, Dulwich, Rugby etc are absolutely disgusting. I don't see anything wrong with Grammar Schools - how are they any different to the various performance academies that our young talented athletes get sent to?

Soldato
What does it matter if it's lower down? It's quite clearly stated in the contents that there's a section on Eton and also the section on Eton is not hidden in anyway.

As others have said it seems unnecessary to include it in the very short summary when their is such a big section of in later in the entry.

Caporegime
Peter File said:
How you can grow up with a balanced view of life in Eton is beyond me. The kids that go to Eton, Dulwich, Rugby etc are absolutely disgusting.
Holy generalisation batman. I happen to love my Father, and he's as nice a person as you could hope to meet.

Soldato
As it says on the history page Please do not reinstate reverted material, make the case for it on the talk page. There is no point continually editing the page only for it to get reverted each time.

Suspended
OP
platypus said:
Holy generalisation batman. I happen to love my Father, and he's as nice a person as you could hope to meet.
Quite right too, I would hope that you have the same feeling of affection for your Mother.

However, the fact that you love your Father, who was perhaps educated at Eton, Dulwich or Rugby and who I am sure is a very nice person, doesn't mean that he has a "balanced view of life" or that he is representative of many people who were educated at Public School ;)

ps - Many thanks to whoever may just have corrected David Cameron's entry on Wikipedia

Last edited:
Caporegime
Shackley said:
Quite right too, I would hope that you have the same feeling of affection for your Mother.

However, the fact that you love your Father, who was perhaps educated at Eton, Dulwich or Rugby and who I am sure is a very nice person, doesn't mean that he has a "balanced view of life" or that he is representative of many people who were educated at Public School ;)
Quite the contrary, after leaving Eton he joined the Army as a pathologist, (not an officer), and then went to Oxford to read Mathematics. After graduating he decided to move to Thailand and then Japan for 17 years, where he wrote and had a few books published, teaching English to impoverished Thais and Japanese people. He then returned to England to work for Oracle. He retired early-ish and has now opened a Winery on Crete. He's had more experience then a lot of people could hope for, and probably a more balanced view.

However, whether that is a representative view; I'm also in agreement that its probably not. I still felt like bringing him up on his rather stupid statement ;)

Last edited:

daz

daz

Soldato
Shackley said:
The beginning of the Wikipedia entry for David Cameron includes the following commentDavid Cameron is the leader of the Conservative Party, he may be the next British Prime Minister and could be responsible for education policy in the UK. His Shadow Education Secretary David Willetts has recently suggested that Tory policy on Grammar Schools is likely to change - David Cameron has not disagreed with this.

David Cameron was privately educated at great expense at Eton College. I believe that it is very important that readers of Wikipedia should be aware that a man who seems to be opposed to non fee-paying selective education was privately educated at the most expensive secondary school in the UK.

For this reason, I have added details of David Cameron's educational background to the beginning of his entry on Wikipedia. Each time I do so, someone removes the references to Eton from the start of the entry on him.

Sooner or later I will get blocked from editing the entry, could I ask any public spirited souls out there to make a point of checking this entry from time to time as follows

Whatever happened to Neutral Point of View for wiki articles?

Suspended
OP
daz said:
Whatever happened to Neutral Point of View for wiki articles?
Whatever is not neutral about mentioning that David Cameron was educated at Eton :confused:

He was, wasn't he and so far as I am aware, he doesn't deny it.

Associate
David Cameron has annoyed me. What on earth is wrong with elitism?

Clever children should go to school with clever people. Common sense.

Suspended
OP
inferno said:
David Cameron has annoyed me. What on earth is wrong with elitism?

Clever children should go to school with clever people. Common sense.
I suspect that David Cameron believes that there is absolutely nothing at all wrong with elitism - for the wealthy.

Back
Top Bottom