OcUK Photo Comp - Season Six : Round Four - "Close up & Macro" RESULTS

Soldato
Arsey said:
Can I ask the judges how they divided the theme marks out because most if not all the images would be close up/macro, how do some images get more marks than others?
What do most Macro images contain ?
- Insects
- Water
- Flowers

My image contains all 3 so has to be more relevant to the theme ;)

Man of Honour
Arsey said:
The way I look at it is first of all the general relevance. Does it represent the chosen theme in any way? I'll then look at how the photographer has interpreted the theme, some ingenuity here can increase the marks. After that, the effort that has gone into setting up the shot to capture the theme is also a consideration. Someone who has just snapped a flower in their back garden will score less than someone who has clearly spent a lot of time setting up the subject. I have to be careful there that I don't infringe on the 'technical' marking though.

It's not quite a simple as a "Does it represent the theme? yes or no" answer.

That's how I do it and I'm by no means an experienced judge, this being my first competition. I don't know how the others do it.

Associate
I agree that most themes would not be a simple yes or no answer but a "Close up and Macro" theme? I just think that any close up/macro shot is a close up/macro shot and there is no difference in "theme" as long a shot is not a landscape or something. I don't think you can interpret this theme also, it's just close up/macro. Fair enough about the time spent getting the shot though.

Man of Honour
Arsey said:
I agree that most themes would not be a simple yes or no answer but a "Close up and Macro" theme? I just think that any close up/macro shot is a close up/macro shot and there is no difference in "theme" as long a shot is not a landscape or something. I don't think you can interpret this theme also, it's just close up/macro. Fair enough about the time spent getting the shot though.

Everything is open to interpretation. Perception is key. It's not just a question of whether or not the image is relevant to the theme, it takes into account how well the theme has been interpreted and represented.

Back
Top Bottom