The Official Samsung SM226BW Thread!

Associate
I have just got a C panel and tbh, I’m very happy. Ive had a gander through the posts and didn’t really come to anything regarding a definitive difference between the A S and C panels.

I haven’t really had a major look, but my monitor looked fine. Didn’t even know anything about backlight bleed and all that.

What is the C panel all about anyway? Is it good or bad?

I’m really not that bothered, however the only thing I would have liked would be the glossy look that you sometimes fine on laptop screens, crystal X or something like that. That makes everything look even better and I have it on my Ferrari laptop.

Other than that I only changed one setting really and that was the magic colour. Looks good now. Maybe ill investigate and have a gander regarding how I can get the most out of it…

Soldato
firstblooduk said:
yes and its saying no signal or cable disconnected :( graphics?

Have you tried both slots on your graphics card?

It might have done the old switcheroo on you and be outputting to the wrong one?

Associate
mmmm....maybe.

Have you tried another cable or trying it with the DVI or VGA connector? (not sure what your using at the moment)

You'll need to change the source button at the bottom of the monitor.

I had no signal with my new sammy as it defaulted to VGA mode, I had to switch to DVI.

Associate
Black Dog said:
But how the hell do we know if it's true or not?

No one's going to know what panel they have, sammy has us by the balls :mad:

Why does it matter what panel we have :confused: as long as the monitor works acceptably which most seem to whatever panel type, as you have found out for yourself.

Associate
Associate
Nullvoid said:
The problem is that the C panels seem to be quite inferior to the A and S. Behardware covered it quite conclusively in these two articles:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/667-1/samsung-226bw-a-and-s-series-the-verdict.html
http://www.behardware.com/articles/673-1/samsung-syncmaster-226bw-c.html

I don't think anyone would have a big issue with Samsung if the lottery only involved S and A panels since both can produce great results with configuration.

I am well aware of the hype concerning the 3 panel types but all 3 give excellent picture quality when correctly adjusted (yes even some S panels needed tweeking)

Do yourself a favour mate ignore the hype & buy a 226bw and try it for yourself chances are you will love it :)

Associate
I finally found a S panel version, after trying the A and C versions. I would comment:

- Nice not to have to load .net and the MS colour calibrator util
- S out of the box has a nice colour balance, not too blue
- No ghosting with RTA on (can be turned off on A/C but its hassle if you power down)

Overall I'm keeping this one, on balance it is better than A/C.

For everyone else wait for the 245bw reviews... probably the only way to
guarantee a samsung panel now the 226bw has no markings or service menu
confirmation. I've seen one review and it has the 'legendary' S marking on the
rear sticker.

Associate
Guru said:
Check it again when its dark ;)

LOL see what ya mean now. Quite bad really. However I have tested it in Dark Areas on games and tbh i cant tell the difference. All looks cool to me.

a lot of debate regarding this monitor. Its a bloody good monitor full stop. I'm happy with my C panel and I think in all fairness, it doesn't make that much of a difference.

I suppose if your coming form a particular monitor, you may want it to have the same colours.

Last edited:
Associate
Why does it matter what panel we have as long as the monitor works acceptably which most seem to whatever panel type, as you have found out for yourself.

It doesn't matter, I'm just saying that no-one knows what panel they have which seems to bother some people.

I personally don't care, my screen seems fine to me.

Associate
Euro_Hunter said:
I am well aware of the hype concerning the 3 panel types but all 3 give excellent picture quality when correctly adjusted (yes even some S panels needed tweeking)

Do yourself a favour mate ignore the hype & buy a 226bw and try it for yourself chances are you will love it :)

Try actually reading their C panel review instead of just brushing it off as hype. Their conclusions in comparison to the S panel are that it:

has more bleeding.
has considerably more ghosting.
cannot be calibrated to the same standard of colour quality.

As I've said before, no one would have issues if it was only S and A panels, but the presence of the clearly inferior C panels just takes the ****.

Associate
Just got back to mine after 2 days away with work.
The backlight bleed is pretty bad, blank background looks like huge cloud in the centre.. so much white coming through, also the edges show a fair amount as well.

Also noticed the MS wincolor util is not setting the colour profile on startup, so I have to manually go into it every day.
Even with tweaked profiles my old L90D+ tft alongside in dual mod looks far better in terms of colour and sharpness :/

Bry

Bry

Associate
Well i have just ordered a Spyder2 express calibrater for £60. As my tft is giving me massiveheaches and is really hurting ym eyes. I dunno why.

Im hoping if i calibrate it it will sort this out and hopefulyl give me better colours.

Associate
Hey, well im new to this forum and i have pretty much all of this thread reagarding this monitor. Before reading this thread i was really looking forward to getting this monitor but now i am not so sure. I am what you would call a novice, i dont really know much about monitors and certainly dont know anything about getting all the correct colour settings. I was just hoping for plug and play. So alas im not so sure anymore. I have been looking at the LG L226WTQ. It seems to be similar to the Samsung. So a bit stuck as to what to do. Should i go with the LG or stick with the Samsung even with its flaws?

Back
Top Bottom