Finally, a cure for all the fatties?

Permabanned
ElRazur said:
Are you saying that food is addictive but not as addictive as cocaine or crack or simply just not addictive?

You can become addicted to anything, if you build up a real or false dependency on it. However, these addictions can easily be broken by will power as there are no actual addictive chemicals for the body to get used to life without at the same time.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
iCraig said:
You can become addicted to anything, if you build up a real or false dependency on it. However, these addictions can easily be broken by will power as there are no actual addictive chemicals for the body to get used to life without at the same time.

Easily? No... I know it may sound crazy, but the problem is once you're dependent on said 'addiction' your brain is actually dependent. Whether or not people want to believe there are addictive chemicals within the food itself, once the receptors are desensitised the stimulation of the 5-HT^3, dopa, NA it is incredibly difficult to stop, without experiencing adverse affect. It's really quite simple if you care to read up on the mechanisms of addiction.

In effect it's quite 'simple' to get over clinical depression, after all, it's all in the mind eh?

Soldato
OP
iCraig said:

I understand what you are saying. However, isnt depending on something as food linked with things like tastes, feel factor, the sensation, etc. I would safely say that i belive that there are things invole and with my current knowledge i would point them out as "chemicals" to be the the culprit rather than something that is due to mindset. A good example is when one crave for a particular kind of food, in which regardless of what one eats, it wont give the right feeling or satisfaction. We could therefore link that to some sort of chemical reaciton between the body and the food.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
To be honest El, you're fighting a lost battle. There is only so much 'wiki' can tell people and unless they have the fundamental knowledge of the workings of the human brain it's not exactly going to help in reinforcing the argument sadly.

I certainly know the internet itself hasn't been a major tool in gaining my degree. Problem is, the papers that cover this will no doubt need a subscription, and again, without having the fundamental knowledge it wouldn't make sense anyway. Just be happy you understand it.

Soldato
ElRazur said:
I am serious, it has a name but i cant recall. Yes they keep eating, literally to death if not stopped.

Prada-Willis Syndrome, if it wasn't already mentioned.

Edit: I see you found it, I was too lazy to read the whole thread.

Soldato
OP
SunaseIPs said:
Well how come we don't get fat people in starving countries they all look thin, why?

BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO FOOD TO EAT!

To some extent we could throw a link no doubt but there is something called adaptation. Also, it has been reported that certain defects that would have lead to an abortion of a feotus in developed countries are somehow been by-passed in certain cases due to improved health care and well being of the people. On contrast, if such defect are in an enviroment like africa, it would have a higher chance of aborting (or would).
While there is food shortages in certain parts of the world, it wont be a rare thing to find people who are bigger than average or obese.

Permabanned
ElRazur said:
While there is food shortages in certain parts of the world, it wont be a rare thing to find people who are bigger than average or obese.

Welcome to the United States of America land of food and fatties.

Permabanned
I believe it is adictive, just not to the extent of other things.

how about television for example, no chemicals etc enter your body but you can become addicted to it, same with gambling etc so to say food is not addictive is wrong. But i just think people are to happy to jump on the "oh it's addictive, it isn't my fault" stance that it makes it seem like an illness when in reality, addictive or not if you lock a fattie in a room for a month and feed them on healthy food and give them exercise they will get thin. It is about self control where as people coming off drugs get quite seriously and violently ill if they don't have them. ( no expert but I saw a Tv show about drug addicts. :p )

Soldato
OP
Kol said:
To be honest El, you're fighting a lost battle. There is only so much 'wiki' can tell people and unless they have the fundamental knowledge of the workings of the human brain it's not exactly going to help in reinforcing the argument sadly.

I certainly know the internet itself hasn't been a major tool in gaining my degree. Problem is, the papers that cover this will no doubt need a subscription, and again, without having the fundamental knowledge it wouldn't make sense anyway. Just be happy you understand it.

It is the norm here. :p Im glad there is someone who actually understands wtf i was talking about all along. if you didnt join in, I would bet my last dollar that people would just do the usual dismissing me move.

What are you studying (or did you studied) by the way?

Back
Top Bottom