Asus MW221U 22" Ghosting in games.

Soldato
OP
Nice girl .... I never send back any accessories with my RMA's any more as you often dont get it all back.

is your replacement ghost free ?

Associate
Devious said:
Nice girl .... I never send back any accessories with my RMA's any more as you often dont get it all back.

is your replacement ghost free ?
On that manufacture date I would assume not unless they flashed it and to date the US hasnt acknowledged that such a fix worked.

I do hope it is though for your sake

Associate
Hmmm.. the ghosting issue may be fixed in my March07 build monitor. I tested it using the 3 block test page and do not see the same ghosting. Now I need to check out BF2142 to see if the same issues are there or gone.

Oh, I did recieve the monitor stand. No e-mail or call from ASUS that one was being sent out. It just showed up the other day by Fedex. New and still wrapped in that clear plastic tape stuff.

Keep u posted.

Associate
CSpaR said:
Hmmm.. the ghosting issue may be fixed in my March07 build monitor. I tested it using the 3 block test page and do not see the same ghosting. Now I need to check out BF2142 to see if the same issues are there or gone.

Oh, I did recieve the monitor stand. No e-mail or call from ASUS that one was being sent out. It just showed up the other day by Fedex. New and still wrapped in that clear plastic tape stuff.

Keep u posted.
Other march 07 panels exhibited the issue from posts I read. Is Overdrive in the menu on yours or only shown by holding menu key on for 7 secs?

Who knows maybe they flashed it to a working version but if it works enjoy it.

Associate
I need to press the menu button for 7 seconds. Also, in the menu these items are grey'ed out and unselectable:

Image- sharpness & staturation
Color- skintone
System Setup- aspect control

Cant remember if there was a way to find out which firmware is installed.

Associate
CSpaR said:
I need to press the menu button for 7 seconds. Also, in the menu these items are grey'ed out and unselectable:

Image- sharpness & staturation
Color- skintone
System Setup- aspect control

Cant remember if there was a way to find out which firmware is installed.
Ok those were not greyed out so i remember when I asked posters here re the old firmware. Seems you may have 063 installed as the new 065 has overdrive within the image menu.

So enjoy yours appears to be fixed and a new 1 at that

Associate
CSpaR said:
and there's no way to find the firmware version installed?
Not they have told us I did ask how to bring up a service menu if there was 1 but they ignored that question.

If your skin tone etc is greyed out in standard mode I think that is 063 or higher version At least that was what was posted here.

Mine on the courier and I expect it later today/tomorrow.

Associate
Ok got my updated to 065 and as far as the posted ghosting test link goes there is zero change in ghosting or any change to the red edged text I got from the 064e update.

One is lucky I do not drink though i feel that way inclined atm.

new info from Asus
065 ensures settings kept after turnoff and puts OD setting in Image section.
That is only change it does of interest. Some panels may possibily show no ghosting due to subtle electronic differences within the panel.

That is all I can say on this issue

Last edited:
Associate
Argh! Well atleast ASUS is trying to fix the problem. Why did they create a new firmware after the 63 version that fixed ghosting? To bring back the greyed out menus? Is there some other issues that 63 adds or does not fix correctly?

UPDATE

Had a back and forth with my contact at ASUS USA. He said the firmware verson mybe either in the menu somewhere or in the serial number.

My mfg date is March 2007

I looked and could not find this, and let him know. Here's his response:

Dear Sir,

I apologize, but I have no way of confirming exactly which version is on the monitor. Only that the manufactuer date indicates that it has the newest firmware out. If I do come across some way to verify that I will let you know. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Robbie Pryor
Asst. Supervisor / Lead Tech Engineer

Last edited:
Associate
BTW a march manufacture date will not have 063 normally installed mine was February and had 059 or so 063 was not developed till May. so someone updated them and that guy does not know it.

059 has ghosting still evident
063 has no ghosting evident and greyed out menus and maybe settings do not hold after power down (unsure here)
064e had ghosting still evident and greyed out menus
065 has ghosting still evident and greyed out menus but OD option included in image tab in the menu. Settings lock in on power off

Asus as far as my info says may not be looking further two emails contradict each other. 1 suggests disabling OD for applications (games) that ghosting bugs you is the only complete fix other says above only option at this moment. I have asked for clarification.

He even adds if it bugs you still, ask for a refund which would be interesting to get 3 mths down the track and impossible without an asus confirmation.

Serial number hidden and though I have asked 3 times no comment re how to see it mentioned.

CSpaR yours if shows no ghosting on the boxes would be 063 as 065 was not out when yours came back .

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive just connected my 360 to this monitor with the official vga lead OMG it looks so much better on this than my samsung 40" lcd tv which ive been useing for ages i thought id just try it to see what it was like wasnt expecting it to be any good but i prefer it now ive tryed it.

Associate
More updates on this case.
Our RD team has decided to re-open the investigation into this case, as they found some hints which may help to match the display condition as compare with Samsung 2ms unit when OD has been turned on.
There should be a new firmware due very soon. Will keep you updated about this news once received them from RD team.
Can't promise it is going to be 100% perfect, but should be able to match or similar to the condition you see with Samsung.

As for PG221, we have tested with the light house one without problem, will check with the moving box later.

Above latest from Asus I told them prior to this that several Aussie owners were after a refund or considering a complaint to consumer affairs as adverts stated no ghost at 2ms and this isnt the case. Maybe that stirred the pot or maybe this another stalling method. edit following email suggests a month or so till release if they get 1 that works.

I asked him to test the PG221 panel with the moving boxes.

Last edited:
Associate
dscf2313em5.jpg

LOVELY SCREEN!

Associate
Asus has new firmware out that improves the ghosting and fixes any red edged text issue (that I have) . So I will try it next week. Version unsure of atm

Last edited:
Associate
OK it is version 066 of the firmware and yes I do see some ghosting on the test boxes but far lighter and 1/3 less width.

Note mine came back with OD disabled naughty of Asus thought the boxes looked too crisp to be true. Once enabled is is far improved over the old version as is my red edged text issue or it was initially now minor improvement only.

Recommended to install as best so far

Actually dragging the window in the test boxes does still produce ghosting but in all it is better than previous, moving the mouse curser over the grey surround of this editing box produces no ghosting whereas before in 065 I could easily see it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom