Mate Injured in Afghanistan

Soldato
I'm not denying that that should happen, soldiers should be greatful for what the gov can give them in terms of care, maybe the word compensation just weirded me out, they should call it something else in these matters.

Ah right, thats what I always presumed whenever I heard the word Compensation until we went throught it ourselves. They probably should call it something else tbh :)

Permabanned
tbh, aren't land mines banned under the Geneva conventions or something, because they can't be easily located so they cause civilian death even in peace time after war, so basically he may have signed up prepared to be shot, but not to be injured illegally, and thus wanting compensation for his disabilities! I rest my case :p

edit - wiki says Ottawa Treaty bans anti-personal land mines, which this was as the vieachle was not destroyed also acording to the map, afghanistan is signed up to the treaty :) he should get compensation imho

Last edited:
Soldato
Seriously.... is your mate actually disabled? is he unable to work?

He's lost his legs and suffered brain damage. What do you think?

And your m8 would be getting 158k payoff and he wants even more. Greed is the case tbh.

Im sure he would give up ten times that to have his health back. There is some serious disrespect in this thread.

Suspended
OP
Anti tank mine?:eek: would have thought that would have spread him an his jeep all over the country side.

Yeh it more or less did

So what happens once they've fixed this guy's leg up and give him a wheelchair?

They would have to do a good job, he hasnt got any. They then try and sort out his brain damage.

And your m8 would be getting 158k payoff and he wants even more. Greed is the case tbh. Where does all this "compensation" money come from?

No he doesnt want anymore and i very much doubt his mum and dad want a whole lump sum how everyone puts it. They want enough for him to live a full life without having the constant care (although he will need this i think anyway) If the MOD payed for the care and costs of medical bills etc im sure they would be happy enough. These bills will be massive though and way more than 152k, more like quite a few million over 60 years

Soldato
Injured her thumb and got 400k. Ridiculous. Seriously.... is your mate actually disabled? is he unable to work? will he be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life? I can understand fine and well someone getting a massive compensation payoff if they really deserve it, for someone who will be disabled for life or unable to work again due to possible a mentality issue caused by what happened.

But injured thumb, no. And your m8 would be getting 158k payoff and he wants even more. Greed is the case tbh. Where does all this "compensation" money come from?

Befor you make yourself look an arse, perhaps you should read about the situation surrounding the injuries to Lance Bomabadier Ben Parkinson;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/6966684.stm

A qoute from that article reads "He is reportedly one of the most seriously injured soldiers to survive.He lost both his legs as well as suffering a brain injury, fractures to his skull, cheekbone, nose, jaw, pelvis and vertebrae, as well as serious damage to his spleen and chest." So yes he is disabled for life and unable to work again. Really you should pay attention to current affairs and not look like an idiot.

Back on topic, The issue of compensation to the armed forces for injury and death is a difficult one. It is in fact something that's been going on in an official form since at least the 18th century so it's not a product of the modern American style 'litigation' culture we have now. The problem is it has not kept pace with the value of civilian compensation levels. As indicated in the above article the scheme is undergoing review but where will the money come from with the MoD already overstretched. For people who seem to think that choosing to be a soldier and being paid as such negates your right to be compensated remember they get paid to be Soldiers they don't get paid to be casualties.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
A woman working for the ministry of defence who injured her thumb whilst typing apparently got £400,000 compensation. What a discrace!

I've sat in many a compensation tribunal and you'll find that is total rubbish.
There are guidelines to how much is paid out for different injuries and also the age of the injured will be taken into account.
If theres one thing you can be sure of and thats people will tell porkies about how much they got for an accident.
A bloke at work told everybody he got £100,000 for a sliding door falling on his shoulder and he actually got £2000 because I was with him.

However, the soldiers compensation does seem small for what has happened.
A mate of mine got hit at 70mph from behind while cycling from JCB down the A50.
He was left in a ditch and he suffered two broken hips, two broken legs, broken arm, collapsed lung, 180 stitches, 5 crushed vertebrae and he is now 2" shorter.
He got a total of £300,000 to be paid out over 10 years at £30,000 a year.
He's in constant pain but he still gets on his bike.

Suspended
OP
And the bill should go to the government imo he shouldn't get given money or expected to pay the bills (medical related)

Yes. If the adapted house was paid for and bills covered by the government for care, medical etc im sure him and his family would be happy.

I thought the government was refusing to pay for care and medical though?

Soldato
I don't agree with the idea of 'compensation' for war heroes.

They should have course have the best medical attention (at mod hospitals, not the ones us wasters go to) and get their full pay until they can return to active duties or retire - whichever comes sooner.

The latter would probably cost the MOD more in the long run - so I guess they like the compensation culture.

Soldato
he deserves some sort of settlement though, (see my post earlier) he was injured by an illegal act!

That's a stupid reason, he either deserves something or not it shouldn't have anything to do with international law. And besides he would be far far far better off getting mod medical care and being paid for life than getting a few quid and a discharge.

And anyway it says anti-tank mine in the OP not anti-personal, just because it didn't destroy the vehicle doesn't mean it isn't anti-tank, mines by their nature don't always work as intended.

Associate
Why are we paying them anything, dont they all ready get paid to do their jobs?

His job is to enforce the policy of the British Government on their intruction, the difference being that he has suffered appalling injuries as a result which is the risk many British troops face. He has lost his legs, has permanent brain damage and also has over 30 other injuries which will require him to be looked after constantly.

Soldiers fight for not a lot of money and many have financial hardship. A good compensation package is the least the Government owe them when they are struck down. If the powers that be write cheques in the billions for operations in Iraq and Afghanistan then that should include first class aftercare for the wounded who were carrying out their will in the first place.

Soldato
I dont really have a lot to say on the matter other than

a) I hope he manages to live life to the full despite his horrific injuries

and

b) some peoples comments in here are truly unbelievable re: why should he get compensation. some people need to learn respect for other people and their circumstances. :mad:

Permabanned
With regards to the above two payouts it is obvious who would be the more deserving.

I also beleive that as he was fighting for his country he should be looked after by the M.O.D, the state etc.

Saying that as a soldier he must have been aware that he could lose or be injured and that was of risk of the job.

Equally he would be aware that he would be compensated - it is part of the job.....

Permabanned
I dont play with guns at work, they however signed up to standing on the front line shooting at others and being shot at.

And they signed up knowing that if they got crippled that the Army would offer some assistance to them....... Do you begrudge him his brain damage and loss of legs? Do you want to swap places with him or something?

Back
Top Bottom