Useful Freeware Utilities

Soldato
I'm free of my prior engagements so I can get busy on redoing the lists into HTML for someone to upload. Shall I start doing this then?

What do people consider the best software for encrypting MS files/folders?
Did the MS Private Folders tool not work for you?

You could pack the files/folders up into 7-Zip and put a strong password on that. Of course this means you'd have to unpack them every time you needed the files.

Otherwise TrueCrypt is pretty good. :)

Soldato
OP
I'm free of my prior engagements so I can get busy on redoing the lists into HTML for someone to upload. Shall I start doing this then?

Hi Marc, yes please, do start, and when each HTML page is completed (or a number of them) just email them to Emo hug, his email address is in his Trust.

Thanks. :)

Soldato
No probs jbloggs. So do I start from the beginning? Or has someone already started?

And what do you want? Just the links in a list? Or a brief description of each program next to the link?

If there has been some done before can I look and see how they've been done so I can try and keep as close to them as possible?

Otherwise I'll just do this in Notepad or Notepad++. I'll just put the links in one page for each category. So we'd have a page with a contents list of all the categories and then the link goes to the page with the actual links for the apps?

Let me know what you think. Add me to MSN if you are so inclined and want to discuss this further.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Righto. I've done CD/DVD Burning/Mounting/Recovery, Compression/Decompression, Defrag & HDD monitoring and the Desktop enhancements sections so far.

Going on TDU for a bit. Will be back online later. Speak whenever? I'll carry on with the sections tomorrow.

Oh and I found another dead link. The Tango desktop project/icon pack is no longer at that link. Its now found at http://vertigosity.deviantart.com/art/Tango-Patcher-2600-7-08-27940418. The current version is 7.08 (as of 29th August 2007).

Soldato
Hey guys,

Sorry if i have got the wrong end of the stick, but are you just manually creating the HTML pages?

Would it not be best to have some sort of CMS on a webpage somewhere?

Just a thought.

Soldato
Yes we are. As for a CMS, we'd still need to get the links and brief descriptions into a page somewhere no?

And wouldn't a CMS necessitate a specially set-up server? With simple HTML pages we can host them anywhere.

Soldato
Yes we are. As for a CMS, we'd still need to get the links and brief descriptions into a page somewhere no?

And wouldn't a CMS necessitate a specially set-up server? With simple HTML pages we can host them anywhere.

Well it makes it easier to add/edit/update.

I'm sure if you posted it HGP that its for an OCUK project, then some kind OCUKer will give you some php space.

EDIT: Infact I was given some space a while ago from an OCUKer....i don't need it anymore -> so you can host it there if you want?

Soldato
Tbh, its been ages since i have done any web development.

It's best to post in HGP and see what the experts say.

EDIT: Actually - Depending on how i feel tomorrow, I may code a custom solution for ya.

But I am sure that some good open source software already exists.

Soldato
OP
"CMS" - is that "Content Management System"?

Would you use this to make it easier to update the webpages...or for some other reason? :)

Soldato
Coolio. I've done up to the end of your first post, so up to and including FTP stuff.

Shall I do the two previous bits for the sake of consistency? Or carry on down your thread?

Soldato
Hey jbloggs. Carrying on. For the Gimp, I think it might be better if we gave out two links. One to gimp.org but also one to the site offering the pre-compiled Windows version.

Or perhaps keep with the gimp.org address but make it gimp.org/windows so that users aren't spending time looking for a downloadable version on Gimp.org.

Back
Top Bottom