Bad time to sell cars?

Soldato
The reason I ask is that I am really struggling to sell my car now. I doubt it's the advert thats the issue as I have good pictures with a detailed description. I'm asking for £9700 and I've not had an offer over £8000 yet. It's been on Auto Trader, Piston Heads and eBay for around a month now, I think I've had about 3 enquiries.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I was selling it with the mods. I don't have the original exhaust though. I see they go for peanuts on ebay though so could be worth getting back to standard. I'll monitor some standard VXR auctions and see what they go for.

Caporegime
do a swap with somebody on VXRonline

You can have my exhaust, i have yours + some cash.

job done :) thats what i did with mine. Just agree to meet at thorney or whatever and get them to do the swap.

Soldato
Its all very slow, I know of numerous people selling at the moment and as i'm looking at changing cars i've spoken to numerous traders who all tell me the same thing. If you're selling a 1.2 Punto or other generic economical boring car you're laughing, my mate sold one in a couple of days but performance cars and rarer less heard of cars like my Civic Coupe will take longer to sell due to the limited amount of people that will be looking for such a car, i've advertised mine 3 times now and had two viewings, it was getting to the point where I nearly traded it in, took a deposit yesterday though, possibililty of him backing out but hopefully he wont, it will just take a lot longer than usual to sell so patience is a must, unfortunately Auto Trader isnt cheap!

Soldato
Its all very slow, I know of numerous people selling at the moment and as i'm looking at changing cars i've spoken to numerous traders who all tell me the same thing. If you're selling a 1.2 Punto or other generic economical boring car you're laughing, my mate sold one in a couple of days but performance cars and rarer less heard of cars like my Civic Coupe will take longer to sell due to the limited amount of people that will be looking for such a car, i've advertised mine 3 times now and had two viewings, it was getting to the point where I nearly traded it in, took a deposit yesterday though, possibililty of him backing out but hopefully he wont, it will just take a lot longer than usual to sell so patience is a must, unfortunately Auto Trader isnt cheap!

i think its the other way round. my S4 sold in weeks, GF's fiesta is taking forever

Tea Drinker
Don
It's too expensive, anything will sell at the right price, I don't know your car but I've sold enough to know that after a while you just have to admit it's too expensive, it doesn't matter what others are for sale for on A/T P/H etc.

And yes if it's modified you've cut your audience down by quite a lot, most people want a standard car to modify so they know the base condition is good

I usually sell cars I buy and sell for the lower end then they don't hang around to long and cost money to keep advertising / washing / fuel etc.

Soldato
OP
It stays with me then, I'm not letting it go for peanuts. I'm in no rush at all to sell as I'm not buying until September as I need to know what's happening with my company car.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Vauxhalls are always hard to sell. Might as well give it way tbh*

*had to say that as I'm a Ford owner and it's in our DNA :)

Tea Drinker
Don
I'm in no rush at all to sell as I'm not buying until September

The longer you keep it the less it will be worth, it's worth having a look at a couple of glass's guides from one issue to the next to see how much the drop is from issue to issue, September is new reg time as well which will mean greater drops for s/h cars as they effectivley drop a level.

Soldato
I suppose it's much harder to sell an expensive car, when I was selling my VW Passat for 7k few years ago it took me quite a while, not many enquirers but I managed to sell it after dropping the price slightly.

However last time I was selling my VW Polo (8 years old) I sold it within 2 hours of it being advertised on Autotrader. Good price, average condition, most of papers helped my quick sell.

Back
Top Bottom