ISIS and Islamic militants - discussion

Caporegime
The Saudis have a very powerful and modern day army that equals our own and US. They be slaughtered by their Airforce while the Army mops up.

I doubt it frankly, the Saudis are good at spending money on fancy new equipment, I'm not entirely convinced they're any good at using it except on innocent civilians. Shiny equipment and killing machines aint no match for a committed bunch of fanatics with AK47s and a Toyota Hilux.

I think it was an anecdote from Jarhead where they were training the Saudi equivalent of the USMC. They told them to dig a trench and left them to it, when they came back the soldiers were sitting down in the shade and a load of Filipino workers were digging the trench for them.

Soldato
How exactly are ISIS funded. For example you read that ISIS robbed the national bank of Iraq and 'stole' billions worth, or that Saudia, Yemen are funding them or that they have monies from hostage exchange, et cetera. But what use is paper money to them, or electronic money for that matter. For example, during a hostage exchange, does some guy go from telephone box to telephone box and eventually meet some dodgy guy and hand a suitcase of bank notes over or do the terrorists have a papal account that the money is transferred into or how does it work. Is the money really worth anything, is the money in Syrian or Iraqi currency and who can they actually pay the money too for goods. I can't see how any form of money is of any use to terrorists in a failed state full of dozens of tribes fighting against each other??

Soldato
Some are good...some really should not be aloud near pointy things and they do rely heavily on contractors. That said compared to the other regional powers they are powerful. But IS won't head to Saudi...hell they won't go to isreal. Too much of a challenge.

And the Saudi military in no way equals the US or even NATO forces.

Soldato
I doubt it frankly, the Saudis are good at spending money on fancy new equipment, I'm not entirely convinced they're any good at using it except on innocent civilians. Shiny equipment and killing machines aint no match for a committed bunch of fanatics with AK47s and a Toyota Hilux.

I think it was an anecdote from Jarhead where they were training the Saudi equivalent of the USMC. They told them to dig a trench and left them to it, when they came back the soldiers were sitting down in the shade and a load of Filipino workers were digging the trench for them.

Most of the Saudi military is bought in that's why, From places like Africa, Pakistan etc. So they have no real loyalty to the country and are just there for the money.

Permabanned
I'd like to see them turn towards Israel. At least it has the back bone to stand up for itself and tell the rest of the world to go **** itself when the liberals get lippy about being to aggressive. IS are a cancer and should be treated as such. With radiation therapy. Turn the entire region into a wasteland, civilian casualties be damned. After all, when treating cancer with radiation therapy, the cancer cells aren't the only thing that get blasted.

AMIDOINGITRITE?

Soldato
I'd like to see them turn towards Israel. At least it has the back bone to stand up for itself and tell the rest of the world to go **** itself when the liberals get lippy about being to aggressive. IS are a cancer and should be treated as such. With radiation therapy. Turn the entire region into a wasteland, civilian casualties be damned. After all, when treating cancer with radiation therapy, the cancer cells aren't the only thing that get blasted.

AMIDOINGITRITE?

Bit 'extreme' isn't it?

Permabanned
How exactly are ISIS funded. For example you read that ISIS robbed the national bank of Iraq and 'stole' billions worth, or that Saudia, Yemen are funding them or that they have monies from hostage exchange, et cetera. But what use is paper money to them, or electronic money for that matter. For example, during a hostage exchange, does some guy go from telephone box to telephone box and eventually meet some dodgy guy and hand a suitcase of bank notes over or do the terrorists have a papal account that the money is transferred into or how does it work. Is the money really worth anything, is the money in Syrian or Iraqi currency and who can they actually pay the money too for goods. I can't see how any form of money is of any use to terrorists in a failed state full of dozens of tribes fighting against each other??

There was an article the other day outlining numerous millionaire and billionaires from the middle east having funded them over the years. Suposedly that funding is now dropping off but they've had a LOT of money over the years and still have a lot incoming. They're not a some poorly equipped/funded group, they have a lot at their disposal.

Soldato
There was an article the other day outlining numerous millionaire and billionaires from the middle east having funded them over the years. Suposedly that funding is now dropping off but they've had a LOT of money over the years and still have a lot incoming. They're not a some poorly equipped/funded group, they have a lot at their disposal.

The point I am making though is that money is just a peace offering, a trading agreement, an illusion, it could be stopped tomorrow. Who accepts their money, that is what I am asking, who is going to accept their money for arms/food/other. Ever heard of inflation?

Money is only of use to countries that cooperate with other countries under some common trade agreement otherwise the money is useless as all a country needs to say is, 'We don't accept your money, to us it's worthless'.

Unless of course your operating in the Black Market under the radar of common established agreements.

So what am I missing here?

Permabanned
Bit 'extreme' isn't it?

Extreme would be going in boots on the ground and trying to cut the cancer out by hand, which just prolongs the pain and suffering for all involved. WW1. WW2. Vietnam. Korea. Iraq. Afghanistan.

But look at how quickly people lost the will to fight in Japan when given radiotherapy.

Soldato
So we hate ISIS. Who do we support to fight them?

Iraqis and the Kurds haven't had much success.
Saudi and Turkey were probably previously funding them, so they're out
Iran is out because the US hates them.
Syria and Russia are the only ones with a track record of success, but they're both run by what we have taken to calling evil dictators...

Jordan?
Israel?
Cyprus?

Or just sit back and let Persia reform through war and genocide

Caporegime
Are they not making a lot of money from the sale of crude oil on the black market as well? Think i read something on this a few days ago. Extortion and protection rackets or smuggling would also generate a sizeable income. Theese proved to be very lucrative for terrorist groups over here.

Caporegime
The point I am making though is that money is just a peace offering, a trading agreement, an illusion, it could be stopped tomorrow. Who accepts their money, that is what I am asking, who is going to accept their money for arms/food/other. Ever heard of inflation?

Money is only of use to countries that cooperate with other countries under some common trade agreement otherwise the money is useless as all a country needs to say is, 'We don't accept your money, to us it's worthless'.

Unless of course your operating in the Black Market under the radar of common established agreements.

So what am I missing here?

people always want money and there wil lalways be people willing to deal with anyone to get it.

If you're willing to pay 5 times the market price for something someone will be willing to find it and get it for you

Caporegime
So we hate ISIS. Who do we support to fight them?

Iraqis and the Kurds haven't had much success.
Saudi and Turkey were probably previously funding them, so they're out
Iran is out because the US hates them.
Syria and Russia are the only ones with a track record of success, but they're both run by what we have taken to calling evil dictators...

Jordan?
Israel?
Cyprus?

Or just sit back and let Persia reform through war and genocide

The Syrian government is part of the problem - Assad's been buying their oil and he even let a load of extremists out of Syrian prisons so they could go and join IS. He thinks that because IS are worse than him we'll have to be his friend - he is sorely mistaken.

Jeez - just been on C4 news that IS also had two Spanish, three French, a Dane and an Italian as hostages who were kept with the two deceased US hostages and the British bloke. All of the European hostages were released earlier in the year, the assumption that their governments have paid the ransoms.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The Syrian government is part of the problem - Assad's been buying their oil and he even let a load of extremists out of Syrian prisons so they could go and join IS. He thinks that because IS are worse than him we'll have to be his friend - he is sorely mistaken.

Jeez - just been on C4 news that IS also had two Spanish, three French, a Dane and an Italian as hostages who were kept with the two deceased US hostages and the British bloke. All of the European hostages were released earlier in the year, the assumption that their governments have paid the ransoms.

Yeah, it was on the front page of the Metro today, in that Cameron and Obama are kicking off at other countries policies on paying ransoms.

Caporegime
US has actually been assisting Iranian efforts against IS strangely heh.

Yeah, relations between the two have been warming since they got rid of I'madinnerjacket. You still can't trust Iran, but even if they invaded Iraq and Syria and annexed them both it'd still be a better situation than having ISIS knocking around. That's how bad things are.

Caporegime
Yeah, it was on the front page of the Metro today, in that Cameron and Obama are kicking off at other countries policies on paying ransoms.

In fairness, paying the ransom does seem better than letting them be beheaded.

ISIS would probably take hostages regardless. Killing hostages serves their PR purpose as much as ransoming them serves to raise funds.

Back
Top Bottom